• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My 23andME

Ninan

Finally did this. Just got it, suspect it explains some things. Like the fact that I needed enormous amounts of vitamin D not to be deficient. Probably was all my life until two years ago. And my issues with B12.

Greatful for any insights if you feel like it. :)
Methylation_Sida_1.jpg

alicec

There's nothing there to be worried about.

The two VDR results are the normal common alleles. Genetic Genie has followed Yasko in deciding that the common allele of VDR Taq is the risk and so reports it as +/+. Research doesn't support this but in any case, even the risky versions of both alleles have only a small effect.

This would not be the reason for high need for vit D. (Note these SNPs refer to the vit D receptor, not vit D. In general VDR is not going to affect vit D levels except perhaps if it is really defective and simply can't bind and process vit D which then accumulates in the blood. This would be very rare.)

The first COMT SNP does slow the enzyme but you are +/- so it would be a small effect. Don't believe the Yasko myth that COMT SNPs mean you can't handle methyl groups. Some people do indeed have problems but it has little to do with COMT.

The second COMT has little effect.

MTHFR A1298C has a slight slowing of the enzyme but +/- is very little.

The MTR SNP does do something. There was controversy about whether it was an upregulation (as claimed by Yasko) or a downregulation. I can't remember the research since it is a SNP I don't have. The competing claims suggest that the effect whatever way it goes is not great.

Cover yourself by taking some methylB12.

The MTRR SNP does slow the enzyme. The +/- effect is relatively small, again cover yourself by taking some methylB12.

The BHMT and CBS SNPs do very little.

Genetic Genie analyses a very small number of SNPs, based on Yasko's claims which are seriously wanting.

There are other alternatives which analyse far more genes, eg Promethease and MTHFR Support. You can't just accept what they say and really have to do research of your own to back things up, but they do provide a better place to start and do give links to research.

Helen

rs12721627 CYP3A4*16 T185S G GG +/+

CYP3A4 has an impact on the metabolism of 50-60 % of all medicins and is very important to keep in mind when choosing drugs. Cortisone, for example, is one of the drugs that isn´t cleared normally with this CYP, and may therefore be taken in too high doses with serious adverse effects.
One of many sites : http://medicine.iupui.edu/clinpharm/ddis/main-table/

Wouldn´t it be a good idea to have your own thread?

Sea

CYP3A4 has an impact on the metabolism of 50-60 % of all medicins and is very important to keep in mind when choosing drugs.
It is important not to confuse the effect of a gene (CYP3A4) with the effect of a snp (rs12721627). Much research has to be undertaken to determine what, if any, an individual snp has. It seems this one has some effect but nothing compared to some other snps on this gene.

Having said that though I am quite certain that the way this is reported is an error. @Valentijn The rarity of this snp is such that I would not expect to find anyone else with it yet I also am GG. It is one of those ambiguous snps that can easily be confused. Is your result in 23andme GG or CC for this snp? @prioris
GG at 23andme would be a normal result. CC would be the mutation.

Having said that though I am quite certain that the way this is reported is an error. @Valentijn The rarity of this snp is such that I would not expect to find anyone else with it yet I also am GG. It is one of those ambiguous snps that can easily be confused.
Agreed ... it's reported in reverse on dbSNP, but their listing of minor alleles is always in the forward alignment. So near the top of http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/projects/SNP/snp_ref.cgi?rs=rs12721627 it can be seen that "MAF/MinorAlleleCount" is 0.0008 for the C allele. 23andMe reports everything in the forward alignment, so C would also be the rare allele there.

It's also odd that they're listing that SNP as any sort of risk factor at all, since research has shown that it isn't associated with low CYP3A4 protein levels or activity: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11875366

Sea

rs492602 FUT2 A12190G G GG +/+
rs601338 FUT2 G12447A A AA +/+
rs602662 FUT2 G12758A A AA +/+
Variations in the FUT2 gene influence vit B12 levels measured in plasma. These 3 snps are in strong linkage disequilibrium, which means they are usually inherited as a set. Their frequency is around 50% so not really going to be making a huge difference.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2673801/

Also rs492602 GG is the allele associated with higher B12 plasma levels so I don't know why they have designated your GG as ++

I'm sorry prioris, what sticks out to me from your results is that MTHFR.net don't really know what they're doing

Last edited:

prioris

CYP3A4 has an impact on the metabolism of 50-60 % of all medicins and is very important to keep in mind when choosing drugs. Cortisone, for example, is one of the drugs that isn´t cleared normally with this CYP, and may therefore be taken in too high doses with serious adverse effects.
One of many sites : http://medicine.iupui.edu/clinpharm/ddis/main-table/

Wouldn´t it be a good idea to have your own thread?

I don't take any medications. They are toxic to my system. Outside of one day test trials, I have only tried a handful of medications. I stay with natural medicines. Have done for decades. I would prefer to have my own thread but I didn't want to create redundant threads. Plus the title was generic enough.

prioris

Variations in the FUT2 gene influence vit B12 levels measured in plasma. These 3 snps are in strong linkage disequilibrium, which means they are usually inherited as a set. Their frequency is around 50% so not really going to be making a huge difference.

Also rs492602 GG is the allele associated with higher B12 plasma levels so I don't know why they have designated your GG as ++

I'm sorry prioris, what sticks out to me from your results is that MTHFR.net don't really know what they're doing

I think Dr Benjamin Lynch - he is the guru on methylation - influences what genes get flagged on the report on MTHFR. He'd have to tell you why.

I did get a genetic genie report but it didn't seem useful at all

Are there any other software to run my 23andme genetics thru

Sea

Are there any other software to run my 23andme genetics thru
Promethease is a good one. Their information is based on SNPedia with links to research.

Double check anything anyone tells you with the actual research papers because there is a lot of misunderstanding and misinformation out there. Most of the people willing to take your money for interpretations have no background in genetics.

Dr Benjamin Lynch (a natropath) may be seen as the guru on methylation but you'll have to do your own research if you are interested in accuracy

Sea

Also, it would be a good idea to ask a moderator to move your conversation to a new thread. Otherwise ninan is going to get an alert every time someone posts because it's her thread, and if someone wants to respond specifically to you they'll need to quote or tag you @prioris

prioris

Also, it would be a good idea to ask a moderator to move your conversation to a new thread. Otherwise ninan is going to get an alert every time someone posts because it's her thread, and if someone wants to respond specifically to you they'll need to quote or tag you @prioris

if the moderator wants to do that then that's fine. may be more work than it's worth for them and may be a short lived thread anyway.

In terms of misinformation, I seemed like Yasko's has contradictions. Dr Lynch did point out that there is disagreements on what this or that SNP means. My only interest in the genetics is just allowing me to understand if it can lead to anything practical. I may have to use the tools that Lynch has given and come up with my own protocol thru trial or error. Even b12 can effect me negatively.

Ninan

Detox_Sida_1.jpg
Taking back the thread if you don't mind, @prioris ;)

Thanks for your answer, @alicec ! Explained a lot. I'm using Livewello now, is that ok? Going to check out MTHFR support. My health is really messy now and I need all the clues i can get.

This is my detox profile btw.

alicec

This is my detox profile

First Genetic Genie is reporting the CYP2D6 S486T the wrong way round. GG is the normal ancestral allele. BUT this is one of those tricky changes of G to C and the way it is reported depends on the orientation. It needs to be checked very carefully to really determine whether you are wild type or variant.

Having said that the frequency of minor allele is 0.4012. In other words the variant is very common.

Even if you have the variant, this in itself doesn't mean much, nor do the other CYP SNPs for which you are +/-.

Combinations of SNPs can have very marked effects of the activity of the CYP enzymes (all of them, not just 2D6) and working these out can be a nightmare. Here for example is the SNPedia entry for CYP 2D6, listing the SNPs that constitute the various phenotypically defined alleles.

You need more info than genetic genie provides to work out if you really have any of these alleles (and maybe not even then!).

I can't remember what LiveWello reports. Promethease makes an attempt to work out the CYP alleles but it is all very confusing.

The same sort of comment applies to NAT. It is combinations that matter, not individual SNPs. Again I know that Promethease tries to classify you as low, high or intermediate metaboliser based on all your NAT SNPs, don't know about LiveWello.

The two GSTP1 SNPs definitely slow the enzyme, but the effect with +/- is small. Supplements which stimulate glutathione production might be a good idea.

The SOD2 A16V definitely does something. +/+ has a 30-40% reduction in activity. This is the manganese dependant version of the enzyme operating in mitochondria. Supplementation with Mn may help to stimulate a sluggish enzyme.

Ninan

image.jpeg
That last part is very interesting, @alicec ! My mitochondria is more or less dead. And my manganese is low. It's 2 AM here, will read again tomorrow.

Ninan

Here's the full MTHFR report if anyone wants to take a look.

Attachments

• MTHFRsupport_Ninan.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 12

Ninan

I've been reading a bit about the SOD2 A16V. I have great effect from B12 but it comes only after almost exactly 50 hours. Nothing before that. Could it be the antioxidant effect of B12 that is important to me since I have this mutation? @Hip or @alicec ?