• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Poor reactions to magnesium and zinc after multiple trials

bigmillz

Hi everyone,

I've tried to add magnesium and zinc to my vitamin routine a few times, with poor results each time. Some specifics:

-500mg magnesium citrate spread through the day for 1 month - slightly tired, felt very energized once I removed the magnesium
-400mg magnesium glycinate - 1 week trial and 1 single day trials - absolutely exhausted upon waking
-66mg magnesium glycinate - 1 single day trial - took before bed, exhausted for ~2 days following
and
-1 tablet Jarrow zinc balance every night for a week - exhausted every day
-1 tablet Jarrow zinc balance 1 single night - exhausted next day
-50mg zinc gluconate every night for a week - exhausted, better after stopping

Should I just avoid these? I eat a very rich diet with a variety of foods, and very little processed food. Lots of oats, fish, nuts, beans - all foods high in magnesium and zinc.

helen1

Not everyone's deficient in magnesium and zinc! If you take too much of something, you cause a deficiency in something else. Sounds like that's what might be happening.

bigmillz

Not everyone's deficient in magnesium and zinc! If you take too much of something, you cause a deficiency in something else. Sounds like that's what might be happening.

Hmm...didn't even think of that. Good point, thank you.

Justin30

HI,

There is vey good reason as to why you are feeling very exhausted using these supplements.

Both Zinc and Magnesium promote deeper sleep REM sleep. I used to use them when i was bodybuilding to restore my body and heal. When I was healthy they would make me sleep for 8-10 hours deep and was exhausted for like 3 hours in the morning.

Both minerals are relaxing and if you jave true ME there can be a deficit. Dr. Chenney used magnesium throughout the day and night to calm the NMDA Receptors which caused overstimulation in ME.

See wikipedia definition on ZMA
ZMA (Zinc Monomethionine Aspartate, Magnesium Aspartate and Vitamin B6) is a supplement used primarily by athletes, gymnasts, and bodybuilders. It is most often used as a recovery aid; notably, studies show that ZMA helps the body achieve deeper levels of REM sleep.

Note: just taking zinc and magnesium will cause this affect.

I would research this more and maybe have testing done for your magnesium levels if concerned.

Gondwanaland

Zinc caused me severe anemia (antagonizes Iron), and I suspect potential side effects from Magnesium can be increased need for vit D and B1 (and other B vits), affecting thyroid, stomach acidity and even through some cascade effect affect Iron, who knows.

Grigor

I sleep very badly on magnesium. Wake up too early and stuff. Anyone else as well? Or explanation for it?

Justin30

All good points based what is being refered too it is important to talk to your Dr and have certain levels tested of possible.

JES

Zinc also affects copper balance, low copper can lead to anemia itself. Although for men it's usually zinc that is low and not copper. Jarrow zinc balance contains both zinc and copper to balance things out though. It seems a bit surprising it would cause much or any reaction, 15 mg is not much more than what you get daily from an average diet.

enough_is_enough

One day I will run and not get weary.
After I started zinc picolinate (other Zinc supplements made me nauseated) I also became extremely tired after taking it. For some reason I kept going after 3 weeks this side affect went away. Zinc Picolinate is one of my main supplements today. I think the reason for the extra fatigue was the high copper chelation. (Just my opinion) Also my son then at the age of 8 started to show sighs of cfs symptoms. After I gave him Zinc and Niacinamide every day, today at 14 he is ok.
Zinc made a huge difference for me in many areas.

Last edited:

hvac14400

fatty & acid : )

i got really strong cramps in my legs after a workouts (heck - even in my palms!), so was advised to take magnesium and guess what - felt as bad as OP.

@bigmillz

what's your blood pressure? magnesium drops it, so you feel like shyt if you have hypotension.