• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Supplement intolerance?

douglasmich

Does anyone else have this and/or know the cause?

Things like vitamins dont do it. But a supplement like curcumin or another herb can give me crippling brainfog, fatigue, anxiety and loss of balance (feels like im on a boat) Should not happen to a normal person. I also get this burning cloud feeling behind my eyes. THe exact same thing happens from standing in the sun

Last edited:

Effi

hey @douglasmich I get this too, from pretty much everything. Even some herbal teas. It's ridiculous. I don't know why it happens. But I know we're not the only ones.

douglasmich

hey @douglasmich I get this too, from pretty much everything. Even some herbal teas. It's ridiculous. I don't know why it happens. But I know we're not the only ones.

Hi, yes green tea ruins me. What specific symptoms do you get?

Really sucks because i spent alot of money on curcumin hoping to help my inflammaiton and its given me this sense of standing on a boat. Any idea the cause of that? Feels like it screwed up my brain honestly lol

Effi

@douglasmich Well, I tried turmeric juice, cause it's closer to the natural product than the extract (curcumin), which I have learned works better. For three months, it was amazing. Then I quit for two weeks (my naturopath told me to do this), and after I started taking it again, it stopped working. I tried again months later, but then it gave me extra brainfog and lethargy.

Btw, last week I tried some fresh rosehip/hibiscus tea, and I was in pain for the rest of the day (limbs). Green tea and green smoothies give me the jitters. I experimented with some cold herbal teas two months ago, but I got really bad neuro symptoms from that. Probiotics gave me severe vertigo for a month, until I stopped taking them. (I realize that there's lots of different kinds of probiotics, and I haven't tried them all.)

I'm sorry I have no answers... I'd say maybe try fresh turmeric juice? It was amazing when it worked... Or, you could try a super tiny dose of curcumin, and maybe build up. I know they say it only works in high doses, but we're so sensitive that I think that might be not true for us.

Sidereal

@Effi, what sorts of benefits did you notice from fresh turmeric? It happens so I have turmeric root but haven't had the courage to try it yet due to my abnormal reactions to pretty much everything under the sun.

Effi

@Sidereal I felt slightly more clear in the head, and less heavy in the limbs. Also, I remember taking an extra dose of turmeric juice after exertion, and it had a regenerating effect. (within certain limits, obviously) I would describe the general effect as 'refreshing'.

I think I took 1 tablespoon of turmeric juice in a cup of chamomile tea, 2 to 3 times a day, for three months.

Last edited:

douglasmich

This feeling i got from 500mg curcumin was very scary.

Its like im standing on skates or something. WHen i walk and stop its like ive stopped on a plank on water and my balance is screwed up. Very scary

JaimeS

I've been making 'golden milk':

500-mL of some kind of milk -- hazelnut is amazing
1 t. turmeric, powdered
1 t. fennel seeds
a few whole cloves
1 t. fresh ginger
2 cinn sticks
a bit of vanilla extract

Warm on the stovetop until it boils, then strain.

It's clearly immune-activating, because if I don't have two cups -- one in the morning and one in the afternoon - I get the symptoms I associate with infection re-bloom. However, it's delicious and I feel better when I drink it -- if I keep up with it.

-J

PeterPositive

I am in the same boat. Curcumin doesn't help and makes things worse. Additionally it feels pretty harsh in the lower small intestine.

On paper it should help relieve inflammation, guts included, but it's actually making it worse.

I've long stopped asking why it happens and just move over. Too many variables :rolleyes:

JaimeS

could you tell us a little bit more about that? (not sure what infection re-bloom is) :)

I actually get an odd symptom from being exposed to something immune activating and then going off of it. It freaked the heck out of me the first time it happened (after using GSE and then not). I get lumps over my ribcage that hurt like a bruise. It goes away in 24 hours but is painful at the level of 'quite irritating'. First time it happened I was bowled over. I went online to discover FM patients talking about this happening after they went off of abx.

If I sip my turmeric tea only in the morning, by late evening my ribcage aches a little. Not like going off of the GSE, but enough to notice.

I'm calling it infectious bounce-back, but honestly it could be an attempt to deal with toxins caused by killing off some beasties. I only ever found the symptom on FM boards; it does not appear that physicians discuss it as a symptom at all... though a lot of their patients seem to have experienced it.

Par for the course, really!

On paper it should help relieve inflammation, guts included, but it's actually making it worse.

My ancient training back in the day would say that if you need to get things warmed up and moving, it should be helpful. If you are febrile, or have gut hypermotility, you could feel worse. Or the detox itself could be hard to handle.

*le sigh*. You're right... too many variables!

-J

JaimeS

This feeling i got from 500mg curcumin was very scary.

Its like im standing on skates or something. WHen i walk and stop its like ive stopped on a plank on water and my balance is screwed up. Very scary

The extract curcumin may have very different effects from the whole plant, turmeric. (Which is not to say that you should take either one!)

-J

Effi

I get lumps over my ribcage that hurt like a bruise.
are these visible lumps? I have had bruise like pain on my ribcage for many years, but I've never found an explanation for it. No visible lumps though...

PeterPositive

I
My ancient training back in the day would say that if you need to get things warmed up and moving, it should be helpful. If you are febrile, or have gut hypermotility, you could feel worse. Or the detox itself could be hard to handle.
I don't mind getting things moving, I have some issues with constipation but "warming up" is not helpful for me. In fact I need to cool down :) Anything that "warms up" the digestive tract such as spices (including turmeric, ginger etc...) make the situation much worse very quickly. Even if they should help with inflammation.

JaimeS

I don't mind getting things moving, I have some issues with constipation but "warming up" is not helpful for me. In fact I need to cool down :) Anything that "warms up" the digestive tract such as spices (including turmeric, ginger etc...) make the situation much worse very quickly. Even if they should help with inflammation.

Could very well be detox symptoms or irritation of an already-inflamed area. Something that might be anti-inflammatory overall once digested can still be very irritating if pressed directly against damaged tissue. IOW, if there is active infection, warm herbs are a 'no'. This is based on relatively simplistic reasoning (hot herbs with 'hot' conditions aren't wise.)

If warming spices make you feel worse, but you have some issues with motility, I'd go for a bitter herb for digestion instead. :)

-J