• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Recording of Professor James Coyne Presentation on PACE Trial - Belfast 2016

Esther12

Thanks to all involved. I've not had a chance to watch these yet, but they're definitely on my list.

Dolphin

Published on 12 Mar 2016

Professor James Coyne's tallk on the PACE Trial in Belfast in February 2016 - Event organised by Hope 4 ME & Fibro NI - http://www.hope4mefibroni.btck.co.uk/

The recording was paid for by the Irish ME Trust
I only read the Edinburgh transcript rather than watching the video but from what I recall this is quite different. He also covers the Lightning Process

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I only read the Edinburgh transcript rather than watching the video but from what I recall this is quite different. He also covers the Lightning Process

A lot of his emphasis in this talk is on the children's trials that Esther Crawley is running/starting - SMILE (Lightning Process) and MAGENTA (GET).

Dolphin

I thought it was interesting when he mentioned to different results on objective and subjective measures he found when testing a treatment man for hot flashes who had had treatment for prostate cancer.

30:36-31:30

I imagine he's referring to this study:

J Support Oncol. 2009 Jul-Aug;7(4):131-5.
Comparison of objective and patient-reported hot flash measures in men with prostate cancer.
Hanisch LJ1, Palmer SC, Marcus SC, Hantsoo L, Vaughn DJ, Coyne JC.
Author information

Abstract

Hot flashes are one of the bothersome symptoms frequently experienced after endocrine treatments for breast and prostate cancers.
Many studies have evaluated interventions for hot flashes, but results are obscured by methodologic limitations.

We compared the performance of three techniques to measure hot flashes over 48 hours among 47 patients with prostate cancer undergoing androgen deprivation therapy to determine the feasibility and accuracy of each measure.

Sternal skin conductance, electronic event marking, and twice daily diaries identified 478, 410, and 285 hot flashes, respectively.

Diaries produced the lowest hourly hot flash rate (M = 0.17), which was significantly different from the rates of the objective profile (M = 0.28) and event marks (M = 0.23).

The sensitivity and positive predictive value of the three measures demonstrated that the diaries underperformed, but these values did not exceed moderate levels for any measure (% = 28-59).

Study results suggest the combined use of sternal skin conductance and event marking for the measurement of hot flash frequency in pathophysiologic studies and clinical trials with prostate cancer patients.

Conversely, the use of retrospective diaries may be adequate for clinical practice to determine clinically significant changes in salient events.