• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Medpage today: NIH Gears Up for First-Ever Chronic Fatigue Study Patients' advocates share concerns

Kati

Patient in training
http://www.medpagetoday.com/Neurology/GeneralNeurology/56772

Full article at the link above, but interesting exert about Walitt:

Regarding the question of bias, Brian Walitt, MD, MPH, the lead clinical investigator, assured the advocates he does consider ME/CFS a biological disorder. Walitt earned criticism from the patient community after he co-authored a paperon "chemobrain," which stated that "illnesses such as fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome are typically recognized after the clinical symptoms are already present and attempts to understand the contribution of discrete triggering events are subject to recall bias."

"If [ME/CFS] is all in your head, it's only because your head is part of your body," Walitt stated on the call. "I don't have a bias and I don't have [an] outcome that I hope to see, except that we find an answer that makes people better."

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
"If [ME/CFS] is all in your head, it's only because your head is part of your body," Walitt stated on the call.

Nice of them to quote his stupidest comment so that readers can make up their own minds. I would like to hear Walitt give us his personal definition of "biological", just to make sure it's the same as everyone else's. Just can't get rid of this image of him talking with his fingers crossed behind his back.

Rrrr

from the article:

Koroshetz, who is coordinating a Trans-NIH working group, pointed out that the NIH is currently determining strategic focus areas, and will be issuing requests for applications focused on ME/CFS from universities and companies outside of NIH.”

RFA!?!?!?!

viggster

from the article:

Koroshetz, who is coordinating a Trans-NIH working group, pointed out that the NIH is currently determining strategic focus areas, and will be issuing requests for applications focused on ME/CFS from universities and companies outside of NIH.”

RFA!?!?!?!
Yes, he said just about the same thing during the teleconference last week.

Edit: Looks like the reporter was paraphrasing Koroshetz's remarks from the call.