• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Another celebrity: Hugh Hefner's wife reveals Lyme disease diagnosis

Antares in NYC

Another celebrity diagnosed with Lyme way too late, after being told it was "all just in her head." Very typical.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/hugh-hefners-wife-reveals-lyme-7509572
Hugh Hefner's wife reveals Lyme disease diagnosis and urges fans to get tested
Crystal Harris explained doctors initially missed the condition and suggested it was 'all in her head'

Hugh Hefner's wife has revealed she's been diagnosed with Lyme disease. Crystal Harris has urged fans to get tested for the condition - which can affect the skin, joints, heart, and nervous system - after learning she had contracted it without realising. She wrote on Instagram: "If you have EVER GONE HIKING, please get tested for #LymeDisease. The best lab to do this is called "Igenex" they are based out of Palo Alto. "I was diagnosed a few days ago and have a long road ahead of me.

"Supposedly you get it from ticks but I have absolutely no recollection of being bit or having a rash or ANYTHING.

"Most importantly there are SO MANY of you carrying Lyme that don't even know you have it. Probably because the ticks can be the size of specs. I always thought of ticks to be big and noticeable.

"The symptoms are vast and when it has been left untreated for a long time can turn into MS, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, Dementia and ALS.

"Symptoms can range from sore muscles, sore back, sore neck, anxiety, fatigue, heart palpitations, muscle twitches, bladder pain, vision or hearing problems, swollen lymph nodes, flu like symptoms, brain fog, memory problems.

"Having just one of these could mean you have Lyme. Please please get tested."

The glamour model added she is relieved to have a diagnosis after years of being told it was 'all in her head' by doctors.

She explained: "It is a disease so many people are living with and is becoming an epidemic. I always thought I was a hypochondriac.

"Doctors told me it was just "stress" or "all in my head" but I finally figured it out and you can too.

"Lyme is also related to syphilis and can be sexually transmitted and also passed from mother to child during pregnancy. #LymeDisease #lymewarrior."
(...)

Misfit Toy

It's just amazing to me that he has another wife. She is in her 20's and he is like 80? She may have gotten the tick bite from it being on him!! o_O Or, perhaps it was sexually transmitted. He has had so many partners.

I don't mean to make light of her diagnosis and feel bad, but anything with the sentence Hugh Hefner's wife....eek. He has admitted to sleeping with over a 1,000 women, which is just gross. Where he has been, she has been.

I am glad for the exposure this gives Lyme...

Misfit Toy

Heff's been married that many times that one of his wives was bound to have Lyme in the end.​

Ha ha ha! :rofl:
That's so funny. You really gotta give it to him. The guy has had quite the life. I used to steal my fathers Playboy magazines and one day he caught me. I'm a woman, too. I enjoyed the articles. My dad grabbed a few and said, "Here!" He gave them to me and laughed.

Well, the more publicity for Lyme the better...

Gingergrrl

Not sure if this is already in another thread but there was a contestant on "The Voice" tonight (in the U.S.) who said that he has Lyme Disease (I don't know his name) and that his doctor said he was one of the most serious cases ever seen and then he went on to travel across country, jump around on stage and sang a song with the most energy, breath support, and picture of health than anything I had ever seen. No wheelchair, no caregivers, AND he had a full time job on top of his singing career! I am not doubting he has the disease but if this is one of the most serious cases in existence (per his doctor's report) it was quite bizarre IMO! Like when they post a perfectly made-up woman yawning at her work desk to represent severe ME/CFS.

msf

That´s amazing! Hugh Hefner has a wife?

Seriously though, all those years of looking the other way might be about to pay off.

Dufresne

almost there...
Ha ha ha! :rofl:
That's so funny. You really gotta give it to him. The guy has had quite the life. I used to steal my fathers Playboy magazines and one day he caught me. I'm a woman, too. I enjoyed the articles. My dad grabbed a few and said, "Here!" He gave them to me and laughed.

Thanks for reminding me of something I hadn't thought of in at least a decade. When I was about 10 a secret society of young males had sprouted up in the backwoods of my elementary schoolyard, aptly called the "Playboy" club. Membership required a one-time donation of at least two magazines to the club library.

So I decided to lift two from my father's collection, figuring he wouldn't notice a couple missing from the stack. Sure enough I got nailed; but to my surprise, both at the time as well as now, my mom and dad were sympathetic to my cause and spent about an hour after supper selecting two of the tamer editions to send me off with. I was a member the next day.

Heff 'influenced' so many from my generation.

MAF14

Had no idea Lyme could be sexually transmitted... Just never even thought of it like that.

Wow

jlynx

Had no idea Lyme could be sexually transmitted... Just never even thought of it like that.

Wow

It can't be. http://www.cdc.gov/lyme/faq/

There is no credible scientific evidence that Lyme disease can be spread from person-to-person through sexual contact. The biology of the Lyme spirochete is not consistent with sexual transmission, attempts to demonstrate sexual transmission in infected animals have all failed, and there has not been a single, adequately documented case of sexual transmission of Lyme disease reported in the scientific literature.

The following are some of the false arguments put forth to suggest sexual transmission:

Borrelia burgdorferi and Treponema pallidum (the cause of syphilis) are both spirochetes (cork screw shaped bacteria). Therefore, B. burgdorferi can be transmitted like syphilis. Not true. Although B. burgdorferi and T. pallidum are both spirochetes, they are not closely related. More importantly, they behave very differently within humans in ways that affect their potential for sexual transmission. T. pallidum spirochetes produce moist, superficial skin lesions (e.g., chancres on the genital, anal or oral mucosa) that contain enormous numbers of living spirochetes and are crucial to transmission by sexual contact. In contrast, B. burgdorferi spirochetes cannot survive on the surface of the skin or genital mucosa. They are present only in sparse numbers and only in the deep inner layers of the skin. Whereas syphilis spirochetes can penetrate the skin directly, Lyme disease spirochetes require a highly ordered metabolic process associated with feeding by certain species of ticks.

Borrelia burgdorferi has been isolated from breast milk and semen. Actually, it hasn't. A single study reportedly found evidence of Borrelia DNA in breast milk using a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) assay. PCR assays detect DNA from dead or living organisms, do not demonstrate the presence of living organisms, and are prone to false positive results. Peer-reviewed and published studies of semen have involved collecting semen from animals, inoculating the semen with bacterial growth media and millions of B. burgdorferi, and then artificially inseminating the animal with the media containing experimentally B. burgdorferi infected semen. The results of these studies provide no evidence that B. burgdorferi occurs naturally in semen.

Husband and wife both have Lyme disease, and at least one doesn' t remember a tick bite. It is not uncommon for more than one person in a household to develop Lyme disease. This occurs because household members share the same environment where infected ticks are abundant. Patients are often unaware of having been bitten because the ticks that transmit Lyme disease are extremely small.

No one - NO ONE - knows that Lyme cannot be sexually transmitted.

They don't say they know, they say there is up until now no credible evidence. It seems obvious to me which of the two statements (the CDC's and Hefner's wife's casual assertion that it can be sexually transmitted) is the more intellectually honest, and that is a problem I see all the time. Perhaps we really do need to resort to scaremongering and overstating the facts in order to gain publicity, but I have a feeling it does more harm than good.

duncan

@Vitalic: Agreed.

One needs only to look at the vector of Lyme and actual transmission process to know that sexual transmission, if possible, is more likely an exceptional occurrence.

But CAN it happen? I would not rule it out since Bb has been found in both semen and vaginal secretions.

Last edited: