• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Human Placental Extract as a Subcutaneous Injection is effective in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

voner

Korean researchers...

here is the pdf: https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/bpb/advpub/0/advpub_b15-00623/_pdf

Biol Pharm Bull. 2016 Feb 25. [Epub ahead of print]
Human Placental Extract as a Subcutaneous Injection is effective in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
Park SB1, Kim KN, Sung E, Lee SY, Shin HC.
Author information

Abstract
Chronic Fatigue (CF) is a common reason for consulting a physician due to affecting quality of life, but only a few effective treatments are available. The aim of this study was to examine the effectiveness of subcutaneous injection of the human placental extract (HPE) on medically indescribable cases of CF and safety in a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial. A total of seventy eight subjects with CF were randomly assigned to either a HPE group or a placebo group. Subjects in the HPE group were treated with HPE three times a week subcutaneously for 6 weeks, whereas those in the placebo group with normal saline. Then, the Fatigue Severity Scale (FSS), Visual Analog Scale (VAS) and Multidimensional Fatigue Inventory (MFI) were measured in both CF group and chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) and idiopathic chronic fatigue (ICF) subgroup. The FSS, VAS and MFI score at baseline were not different between the HPE and placebo group in total subjects with CF. In CFS group, the FSS (p= 0.0242), VAS (p =0.0009) and MFI (p= 0.0159) scores measured at the end of the study period decreased more in the HPE group than in the placebo group when compared with those at the baseline. There were no significant differences between the HPE group and placebo group in the mean change from baseline in FSS, VAS, and MFI in subjects with ICF during the study period. The subcutaneous injection of HPE was effective in the improvement of CFS.

JaimeS

Doesn't it seem odd that they say this:

There were no significant differences between the HPE group and placebo group in the mean change from baseline in FSS, VAS, and MFI in subjects with ICF during the study period.

Followed by this:

The subcutaneous injection of HPE was effective in the improvement of CFS.
?

There were no statistically significant difference between the mean change from baseline in any of our three tests.

Our treatment was effective.

What?

Language / translation issues?

-J

liverock

There appears to be normally quite a high level of DAO in human placenta which could cause a decrease in histamine, causing an increase in energy when consumed,but I wouldn't call that a cure for CFS.

http://humupd.oxfordjournals.org/content/14/5/485.full

Some women also consume their placenta because of its high iron content (which could also affect energy levels), and alleviation of other post natal heath problems. Some of the ways of consumption include, in a smoothie, fried with onions, as well as eaten raw.

Pardon me while I puke!:vomit:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/wo...Meet-the-mothers-who-eat-their-placentas.html

Last edited:
There appears to be normally quite a high level of DAO in human placenta which could cause a decrease in histamine, causing an increase in energy when consumed,but I wouldn't call that a cure for CFS.

http://humupd.oxfordjournals.org/content/14/5/485.full

Some women also consume their placenta because of its high iron content (which could also affect energy levels), and alleviation of other post natal heath problems. Some of the ways of consumption include, in a smoothie, fried with onions, as well as eaten raw.

Pardon me while I puke!:vomit:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/wo...Meet-the-mothers-who-eat-their-placentas.html

mmm, black pudding :cautious:

I've got the whole study sitting in front of me as I don't think you can get it online. I pulled it from the paid for version of PubMed. It does have a couple translation issues but I will say that the results are impressive. It looks like average person improved about 50% and this was a double blind test.

I also think that this could be an easily obtainable treatment. Easier than some of the even more obscure ones:) I'm interested in trying it once I'm off cycles of my other meds.

Kati

Patient in training
Grounds for going to the local hospital to ask for a placenta maybe? Where i used to work we put them placentas in a freezer.

Knock yourselves out. This is not mainstream medicine.

Grounds for going to the local hospital to ask for a placenta maybe? Where i used to work we put them placentas in a freezer.

Knock yourselves out. This is not mainstream medicine.
Its an extract and widely used in the region. The complete article details how they get the extract and its actually used as a medication for other ailments. I would think of it more like a fecal transplant or stem cell therapy. Again, I don't think the abstract clearly explains the process and the science behind it and if anyone is interested PM me as I have a hard copy.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I guess that is the same Dr Park that has done studies with low dose sub q immunoglobulin's in patients with good results (his treatment combines this with REAL enforced rest and 'pure diet').

I wonder what the mechanism is in the Human placenta that is working -@CaptainA - is there any discussion of this in the paper - HOW the placenta works? what is in it?

Thanks.

barbc56

The placenta works by supplying nutrients and oxygen to the baby as well as removing waste products. So along with any of these supposed benefits, you're probably getting a delicious helping of toxins!

Last edited:
I guess that is the same Dr Park that has done studies with low dose sub q immunoglobulin's in patients with good results (his treatment combines this with REAL enforced rest and 'pure diet').

I wonder what the mechanism is in the Human placenta that is working -@CaptainA - is there any discussion of this in the paper - HOW the placenta works? what is in it?

Thanks.
It doesn't say why it works and also I must note that this study was funded by a grant from one of the biggest manufactures of the extract. They have been using it for around 50 years for other things. I also found a place to buy it online if anyone is interested: http://www.whynotad.com/ad/for-sale/laennec-placenta-by-japan-bio-products-php-4000tray/11390

Not sure how accurate that resource is or reliable but I think it can be found. I'm surprised this stuff hasn't hit the upscale US cosmetics world yet as it looks be huge in anti-aging and "anti-fatigue" in Japan and Korea.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
It doesn't say why it works and also I must note that this study was funded by a grant from one of the biggest manufactures of the extract. They have been using it for around 50 years for other things. I also found a place to buy it online if anyone is interested: http://www.whynotad.com/ad/for-sale/laennec-placenta-by-japan-bio-products-php-4000tray/11390

Not sure how accurate that resource is or reliable but I think it can be found. I'm surprised this stuff hasn't hit the upscale US cosmetics world yet as it looks be huge in anti-aging and "anti-fatigue" in Japan and Korea.
I guess as a human blood product there is going to be some serious approvals needed and hopefully the product is rigorously tested for HIV, Hepatitis etc.

Shame about the conflict of interest...

@justy OK, yes, the study does say that it is all screened for any infections and all that and Korea and Japan are pretty reputable compared to some other countries. Still, I guess there is always a risk.

IreneF

I think placenta in some form has been used in some face creams for a long time. It goes in and out of favor. The big thing right now is snail mucus.

Yes, really.

leela

FYI my browser tags this link as a potential phishing site. Sometimes those warnings are wrong, posting just in case.