• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Carpets were just cleaned :(

douglasmich

The chemical smell is horrific. One tiny sniff and my heart races, i feel sick and feel like im about to die.

Anything i can do to help? The smell is going to be there for weeks. How will i ever sleep

I hate MCS

ahmo

You might try spreading bicarb (baking soda) on carpets and vacuuming it up. or, have someone do it for you. Maybe several times. I can't think of anything better for mopping it up. Plus bicarb bath, shower, or footbaths for you, to help eliminate it. So sorry, very bad news.:meh::hug:

The chemical smell is horrific. One tiny sniff and my heart races, i feel sick and feel like im about to die.

Anything i can do to help? The smell is going to be there for weeks. How will i ever sleep

I hate MCS

Open all windows. Turn on as many fans as possible. Do the baking soda , from above. better yet, if you can, have a healthy friend do those things for you. If you have to participate, wear a mask, not just the paper surgery mask, but one that takes out fumes, a paint mask? If you do this protocol , at the end of 2days you should be able to move back in. Stay out the first night if possible. And continue to heavily vent from 2 sides Does the carpet cleaning company know? They may help you if you say how sick you really are. :)

For sleeping, can you close off the room, open all windowa /fans /vents, and do that room first since you need it overnight. If you do this protocol, it won't be "weeks"; it will be 2 - 3 days before all traces are gone. Vent vent vent ... move air, move air, move air: fans all the time. Walk on towels.
I too dislike MCS.

Best to you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gingergrrl

We used catalytic lamp (but with no scented oil smell) to absorb odors as well as opening all the windows to circulate air for a similar but different issue.

Effi

hey @douglasmich I know the feeling, it is utterly horrible when a chemical smell is everywhere! feels like you're being attacked and you have nowhere to hide... I second the soda thing, it absorbs smell. Lighting matches helps sometimes too (the sulfur absorbs smells I think), although I'm not sure if that's a good idea with all the chemical fumes... Open all windows and doors at the same time, see if that helps. Hope you find a solution soon!

geraldt52

You might consider having the cleaning company come back and do a "rinse only" cleaning of the carpet.

Also:

Heat the house up as hot as possible while completely closed, then open completely and use fans to move the air through. Repeat as often as possible.

Vacuum the carpet as much as possible while doing the heat/ventilate thing above. The agitation helps get the smell out of the fiber.

If the smell persists, there are companies that can set up ozone generators that can get rid of the smell much more quickly. You have to be careful about how much of this you do, because ozone drastically reduces the life of plastic items. The ozone treatment has no toxic effect once done, but you can't be in the house while it's being done.

I fully realize all of this is extremely difficult for someone with CFS, but there really is no magic bullet. In the future, there are odorless carpet cleaning solutions available.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
When I was bothered by the chemical odor of a neighbor's new carpet, an integrative physician ordered inhaled N-acetyl cysteine for me. It seemed to help. Here's a link describing how it is used:
http://www.clintwoodpharmacy.com/n-acetyl-cysteine.htm

An ozone generator may clear the fumes in a day's time, but they are expensive. I don't know what effect the ozone would have on your health either, as asthmatics are sensitive to ozone. These types of machines are popular, and I'd recommend finding out if there is a money-back guarantee:

http://www.alpineairpurifiersdirect.com/product/new-alpine-fresh-air-purifier-clear

This particular company won't refund your money if the product has been used.

OkRadLakPok