• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Swaying?

Fuzzyhead

Does anyone else get a swaying feeling like if you had been on a boat? I seem to notice it more when i am sitting still.

erin

This has been my problem since 2008. Ironically it started on a holiday when I was about to have a boat trip for 2 days. I actually got better on the boat. But the same swaying feeling comes and goes since then. Sometimes it's there for weeks. It is usually indication of that I'm going to have a bad episode for some time.
I also always have travel sickness and it is now got so bad I can't travel long distances on the road or at sea, only train or plane journey I can manage.

rosie26

Does anyone else get a swaying feeling like if you had been on a boat? I seem to notice it more when i am sitting still.
I get this too and find it unnerving when out. At home I have the bed nearby but when I am out I have a regular line of thought going on as in this, "I hope I make it" " I hope I make it home" "I hope I can get across this road alright". To every one passing by me I probably look just fine. I do take the trolley with me a lot now and find it good for leaning on slightly for balance.

Not so much when I'm still, I feel like I list or weave when I'm walking outside and have a large visual field. I also have a really hard time when driving and hitting bumps and my head bobbing up and down or around, so its weird whether it is originating from within me in response to negotiating the environment or as a result of the movement related to being in motion... It makes driving especially overwhelming, setting off a sympathetic reaction and really adding to my experience of fatigue... I too have wondered if its vestibular and am thinking of checking that out but it really feels autonomically related as in, neurologically struggling to process sensory stimuli and motor coordination. Anyone else have this?

rosie26

Not so much when I'm still, I feel like I list or weave when I'm walking outside and have a large visual field. I also have a really hard time when driving and hitting bumps and my head bobbing up and down or around, so its weird whether it is originating from within me in response to negotiating the environment or as a result of the movement related to being in motion... It makes driving especially overwhelming, setting off a sympathetic reaction and really adding to my experience of fatigue... I too have wondered if its vestibular and am thinking of checking that out but it really feels autonomically related as in, neurologically struggling to process sensory stimuli and motor coordination. Anyone else have this?
How are you in shopping malls? I feel instantly off balance the moment I enter one. I have huge problems with large buildings with high ceilings. There is something about that whole space that has a huge affect on me.

Mij

For the first 5 years of illness I had constant swaying in my head, it would stop once I was in a lying down position. I no longer have this feeling of being on a boat, but when I overdo I feel as though I'm being pushed over and that is my alert to rest.

I want to add that magnesium deficiency makes this worse, I felt as though I had a Parkinsonism type jerking, I wasn't actually moving but my head felt as though it was, it was exhausting.

Malls are very difficult. High ceilings, overlook balconies, see through stairs, all very difficult to negotiate for me. Lots of sound, smell and movement, chemical smells.... I avoid them if possible. Being on top of my blood sugar before and during is helpful.

Not so much these days thankfully. The most dramatic I've ever had was during the first two years of being bed-ridden while laying flat (i never moved)

If you imagine a pivotal line across my middle from hip to hip. I would sea-saw or at least my astral body would sea-saw. My head and upper body (or astral head) would tip downwards down through the bed while my feet would rise up in the air (body remaining stiff and straight - both physical and astral)

Then i would tip the opposite way and my upper body would rise and my feet would sink down through the bed.

Then on other days, my astral body would roll sideways down into the bed and back up again clockwise or anti-clockwise on a pivotal line from feet to head (like roasting on a spit) and i'd see and feel the room whoosh past. I guess i was seeing this in my minds eye as i lay in darkness for years so could barely see the actual room in real life.

Very surreal times :confused: since i've improved over the years, i've had swaying from side to side when walking or the feeling of being pushed but nothing as freaky as the 'corpse years' :nervous: