• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Combining Antibiotics with Oregano Oil Enhances Antibacterial Effect

adreno

PR activist
It looks like combining antibiotics with oregano oil enhances their efficiency:

In this paper, we studied the antibacterial effects of oregano essential oil (OEO) both alone, using a twofold dilution method, and combined with antibiotics, using a checkerboard microtitre assay, against extended-spectrum β-lactamase (ESBL)-producing Escherichia coli. The result indicated that multiple drug-resistant E. coli was very sensitive to OEO and polymycin; their minimal inhibitory concentration values are 0.5 μL mL−1 and 0.8 μg mL−1. The antibacterial effects of OEO in combination with kanamycin were independent against E. coli, with fractional inhibitory concentration (FIC) indices of 1.5. The antibacterial effects of OEO combined with amoxicillin, polymycin, and lincomycin showed an additive effect against E. coli, with FIC indices in the range of 0.625–0.750. The antibacterial effects of OEO in combination with fluoroquinolones, doxycycline, lincomycin, and maquindox florfenicol displayed synergism against E. coli, with FIC indices ranging from 0.375 to 0.500. The combination of OEO with fluoroquinolones, doxycycline, lincomycin, and maquindox florfenicol to treat infections caused by ESBL-producing E. coli may lower, to a great extent, the effective dose of these antibiotics and thus minimize the side effects of antibiotics. This is the first report on OEO against ESBL-producing E. coli.

Antibacterial effect of oregano essential oil alone and in combination with antibiotics against extended-spectrum β-lactamase-producing Escherichia coli

girlinthesnow

I wonder if combining oregano oil with anti-virals (acyclovir and herbals) would also ramp up AV effects?

ebethc

does oregano oil kill good bacteria, too? is it safe for low-dose, long-term therapy? Diet alone is not enough to keep candida at bay.. thanks.

ScottTriGuy

Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.
I started on oreganum tincture from my ND about 3.5 weeks ago - one drop in the morning and another in the evening - I was kind of careless so usually had 2 drops am and pm.

Started to feel sick on the 2nd day - as the overgrowth died off I assume - but felt great on the 5th day - I also started a probiotic, taken middle of the day, at the same time.

My pem got worse - today I neglected taking the probiotic after reading others on PR experience with FOS and that lactic bacteria causing hypoxia (I'm not very science-y) - though I am feeling better at the moment.

Biarritz13

I started on oreganum tincture from my ND about 3.5 weeks ago - one drop in the morning and another in the evening - I was kind of careless so usually had 2 drops am and pm.

Started to feel sick on the 2nd day - as the overgrowth died off I assume - but felt great on the 5th day - I also started a probiotic, taken middle of the day, at the same time.

My pem got worse - today I neglected taking the probiotic after reading others on PR experience with FOS and that lactic bacteria causing hypoxia (I'm not very science-y) - though I am feeling better at the moment.

Hi Scott!

How did it go with the oreganum tincture? Thanks.

ScottTriGuy

Hi Scott!

How did it go with the oreganum tincture? Thanks.

Hmmmm, that seems so long ago...what I remember most is that what little appetite I had disappeared and I lost 8 pounds during that month of oreganum tincture (a colleague kept saying I didn't look well; a nurse kept saying I looked sick), which made me underweight (my spine was sticking out, yech).

Also, my pem threshold improved after I stopped the oreganum (and probiotic) - if I recall correctly, I didn't walk farther than 10 minutes during that month, but could do 20 - 30 minutes as soon as I stopped.

I've since had much improvement (but not cured) with adding butter (and cutting back on sugar and carbs).

Have you tried or are considering trying oreganum?

Biarritz13

Hmmmm, that seems so long ago...what I remember most is that what little appetite I had disappeared and I lost 8 pounds during that month of oreganum tincture (a colleague kept saying I didn't look well; a nurse kept saying I looked sick), which made me underweight (my spine was sticking out, yech).

Also, my pem threshold improved after I stopped the oreganum (and probiotic) - if I recall correctly, I didn't walk farther than 10 minutes during that month, but could do 20 - 30 minutes as soon as I stopped.

I've since had much improvement (but not cured) with adding butter (and cutting back on sugar and carbs).

Have you tried or are considering trying oreganum?

Thank you for your reply!

That is so odd, I don't understand oreganum can do that...

I am interested in oregano oil for my ebv but I didn't really any success here but failure yeah, a lot!

ScottTriGuy

lol - pardon my fogged brain.

The probiotic was Natural Factors, double strength ultimate multi probiotic - 24 billion active cells, 12 strains.