• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr Komaroff & Dr Iskander "Beyond the Data" CDC discussion on YouTube

Kati

Patient in training
i didn't watch the video yet but I was impressed by Dr Komaroff's talk at CDC grand rounds, he really did stand up for science. i hope that his work can be better leveraged for better research funding and education for physicians.

Forbin

What's the deal with these CDC doctors being in military uniform? We see them in CFSAC meetings too.

The U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corp (PHSCC) grew out of the Marine Hospital Service, established in 1798, to care for disabled seamen. That's why their uniforms resemble those of U.S. Navy officers. They are a non-military uniformed service. I believe that NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) is also a non-military uniformed service.

Somewhat incongruously, the second highest officer of PHSCC is the U.S. Surgeon General, a title that came about during the civil war. He holds the rank of vice admiral, so, you have a "general" who actually holds the rank, and wears the uniform, of a vice admiral. The Assistant Secretary of Public Health may hold the rank of admiral, or not hold a rank at all.

The uniform is slightly different from a U.S. Navy uniform in that the insignia on the cover (hat) replaces one of the two anchors on the Navy insignia with a caduceus. The shoulder board and sleeve insignia, which is a star in the US Navy, is a single anchor perpendicular to a caduceus in the PHSCC. The brass buttons also have a different insignia.

USI-019-1.jpg

uni_10_2009_2.jpg

Last edited:

dancer

That was excellent. How many physicians who saw the Grand Rounds will go on to watch this "Afterwards" video? I found it much better than the actual Grand Rounds. The only thing I liked better in the Grand Rounds was that Dr. Komaroff used ME/CFS...and in this video it was all "chronic fatigue syndrome" (which continues to grate on me every time I hear that name.) In this new video, he talked about the proposed SEID name, but didn't mention ME. But he does a great job emphasizing all the biological abnormalities. I would love to hear doctors educated more about the severity and quality of life issues we face as patients....but at least the message "it's real, it's biological, it's being researched because we need a biomarker" came through.

dancer

Oh, and I really appreciated that he emphasized that most patients do NOT get well. Some have some improvement, but often relapse, and most never return to full health. When I was diagnosed, I kept being told it would just get better on its own. I realize no doctor can predict the future, but it caused unnecessary misery to be told "most people get well with no treatment" because I wondered what was wrong with me that I couldn't make myself better like I was supposed to. I think it has also been an excuse for offering NO treatment or even palliative care sometimes - that myth of "it'll just get better on its own."

Forbin

Just finished watching this. It was excellent. Seems like something that could be shared with a doctor who was not familiar with the disease which would, if nothing else, leave them with the impression that it was being taken seriously by top researchers.

*GG*

And not a single reference to CBT and GET . . . That, alone, is reason to give the interview "two thumbs up". Actually, I wish I had more than two thumbs! Excellent job, Doctor Komaroff, and many thanks.

I can help you the thumbs up. LOL See attachment :)

Attachments

• Dump truck full of Likes LOL.jpg
    Dump truck full of Likes LOL.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 11