• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone make money online?

douglasmich

Being severely brainfogged and disabled means being housebound. Sadly supplements cost money and the money needs to come from somewhere.

Does anyone make money online? or know how to?

Looking to make 25$ a week

jadam914

Foggy member
There are lots of rackets out there like there was in the past for working from home so be mindful of that. Something involving eBay or Craig's List can be a good way to do things if caution is used. I personally have used Craig's List to purchase broken and cheap computer's, refurbish them, resell them on Craig's List, and sell and buy parts on eBay. I don't sell completed units and just parts(because of lower value under $75) on eBay where I could get more money because there is too much buyer fraud now and little support from eBay for sellers. I already have the knowledge for doing this, can do it at my own leisure, and when I have energy as it is not physically demanding. I average one or two a month, sometimes none, sometimes five or six.

My mother became disabled and for about ten years she was an antiques reseller on eBay but eBay is not as good as it was years ago. Maybe you can find something you have experience in to make a little money.

Skippa

Anti-BS
If you can program you can make apps.

Ditto building websites - either for clients (tough with CFS) or for yourself, ad supported.

Find a manufacturer outlet online, bulk buy something at reduced price, split and sell individually online (ebay etc).

Go on upwork.com and see if anyone is looking for any of the skills you've got.

Peruse instructables.com for project ideas you could sell online or IRL.

Write a series of short stories and self publish on amazon.

Sell stock photography on one of the many micro stock agencies out there.

Skippa

Anti-BS
Can you draw for shit?

Lots of people out there (coders, authors) need illustrations and graphics.

Can you make movies? $25 a week is waiting for a series of Youtube vids that gain an audience.

Are you a social media guru? Plenty of business owners need social media presence but don't have the time or nouse to run their online presence effectively.

Can you make music? Youtube + iTunes can get you to your target.

JAH

Can you make music? Youtube + iTunes can get you to your target.
A lot of good suggestions, but I have to say, YouTube a tough row to hoe. About 5,000 views a month will get you 15$ and you have to continually post to get viewers, that's a tough one for CFS. iTunes gives you .70 per song. Have to have following for that to pay off. Nimbit or Bandcamp might be better for musicians. No aggregator needed.

eBay if you have the energy, or Etsy if you are creative.

Good luck, I'm scanning these for ideas myself, J

Skippa

Anti-BS
Ooh, also, there are price discrepancies between the value of goods on local pickup sites (craigslist or gumtree) and online sites such as ebay.

So you can buy on gumtree, and fetch twice the price on ebay. And vice versa. Takes a bit of clicking and researching tho, so watch out for PEM!

Remember to pay your taxes if you make bank!

Yes, I understand that local pickup will be hard or impossible if you are housebound, although some sellers are willing to drop off.

Good luck :)

Ps, re Youtube/iTunes etc... Go niche! Always go niche, super targeted :)

Skippa

Anti-BS
Was thinking about starting a thread about PWC cottage industries, must be a selection of skills around here, all help each other out, pass things along the virtual production line, maybe get a charity involved...

ScottTriGuy

Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.
I use skype for some of my work - and am seriously contemplating setting up a company and moving all my work via skype so I can spend the winter by the beach.

Undisclosed

douglasmich

Great ideas.

Buying and FLIPPING on ebay is very fun. Would be great if i could do it all from home somehow and have a hhousmate ship things off.

Daffodil

my friend buys up a lot of big-name concert tickets as soon as they go on sale - really good seats...then he sells them and does pretty well. on a seinfeld performance, i think he made $800 or something. he is not ill and is mobile, so that helps...

Mrs Sowester

Great ideas.

Buying and FLIPPING on ebay is very fun. Would be great if i could do it all from home somehow and have a hhousmate ship things off.
Done a bit of this, I like to buy vintage things when they are just starting to catch on, hold on for a year then sell on for a higher price.
Buying joblots then selling on separately will also make money. Many couriers (larger items) and delivery firms will collect parcels from your home.
It can be draining though, especially answering questions on demand and wrapping parcels.

taniaaust1

If you have your own home and a fenced yard, dog sitting in your home for one of the businesses which do this could make you that amount or more. You get to choose what kind of dogs you want to sit and for how long...seeing you are homebound, you could focus on dogs which cant be taken out for walks eg elderly dogs etc.

I seriously considered doing this, actually wasn't bad money when looked into it (and the owners provide the food, toys etc when they drop the dogs off).

I looked at selling on ebay things but it was just too hard for me to work out how to do it there, gum tree is easier. One of my sisters sometimes makes a bit in selling second hand girls clothes, she puts outfits together. (I know you are a guy so that probably wouldn't interest you but maybe it would interest another). I used to have a friend who would make a bit of money buying and selling books online if you can work out ones which are worth money but then pick them up very cheap. He actually sold his bookshop and started just buying and selling books online.

douglasmich

The dog idea sounds great! How would i advertise it? I do have a dog but i could put him inside

Sorry for my short reply to your long informatiive post. Quite fogged

chipmunk1

Being severely brainfogged and disabled means being housebound. Sadly supplements cost money and the money needs to come from somewhere.

Does anyone make money online? or know how to?

Looking to make 25$ a week

You could try becoming a freelance writer. There is always a need for health related content.

You could write about chronic illness, supplements etc.

CantThink

The dog idea sounds great! How would i advertise it? I do have a dog but i could put him inside

Sorry for my short reply to your long informatiive post. Quite fogged

There is a site called Care.com or something like that, which you can advertise dog sitting on and they also have adverts from people look for dog sitters.

Also, you can let local veterinarians and pet stores know that you are offering this service, as people sometimes will ask them for a recommendation of someone to pet sit.

taniaaust1

to do a search for this yourself look up "pet sitters" or "pet sitting" "dog sitting" "dog sitters"

. They each have their own rules, some wont allow people who have already a cat or dog to take others in while others do. Some allow someone to take in many different animals at once from different owners while others don't. How these generally work though is the person brings the dog or animal around first for a meet and greet and then you decide or not if you'd like to look after that pet for them.

If doing this for a pet agency you wont have to even advertise as they just contact you when they think they have a suitable dog to stay at your place. Those places have a standard fee they pay the ones doing the sitting to take care of their clients pets.

For more of an idea of how you could go about doing this.. here is a couple when I search which will help show you how these work and how people just join up and do this

Pawshake . This is an Australian based site one but I thought there may be something like this where you are too which works same kind of way so check it out https://www.pawshake.com.au/petsitters/adelaide-sa (this one it appears people are placing their own ads and isn't though a standard pet sitters agency as I see people are putting their own prices into pet sitters website. If you cant walk or throw balls much to a dog.. if your dog is cat friendly you could also look after a cat for a weekend or whatever and get paid)

MadPaws https://www.madpaws.com.au/?gclid=CPvO5uqshcsCFZcRvQod4ooElA (this one is pet sitting through anothers business. they do the organisation, prices are set, they cover insurance if something goes wrong for the person sitting for them).

Anyway, you should have these around your area. As the amount of pay can vary for these sitting jobs through pet agencies, I suggest to check out the pay received of a few of them unless you decide to do it like as per my first link example.

Last edited:

taniaaust1

You could try becoming a freelance writer. There is always a need for health related content.

You could write about chronic illness, supplements etc.

Thread poster said he has severe brain fog... unfortunately when you are severely brainfogged doing writing articles for others is way hard.

I volunteered to do something for PR a while ago (a book review) but when when I tried to do it, I found I couldn't.. it was just too much on my brain to be properly reviewing a CFS book so it just caused me a heap of stress (though I had thought I would of been good at doing this).

Its the problem with only being able to do a bit here and there.. and one keeps doing things like forgets what one previously wrote in paragraphs before or wrote or read the other day. Severe brain fog does that and causes one to confuse what one has done.

(and I got very high grades in English throughout school, its just this illness, also makes it hard to focus and concentrate esp if I'm trying to put in any effort and care as I want to do well).

good suggestion though for those who do not have severe brainfog.

Last edited:

CantThink

Aside from cognitive impairment, I've found feasibility depends on what type of freelance writing it is.

I have done various types in the past, but some of them were too much for me for because they had turnaround times/deadlines which were too tight/urgent.

It is often the same situation when doing translation. It is okay if having a good day or few days, but if I'm flat on my back in bed then it's too difficult. It is hard or impossible to balance having offered yourself as available for work against the times when you can't do it as too ill. Companies want people who are available and reliable.

The best freelance writing work IMO is getting to do one off articles that have a longer deadline. This allows for illness fluctuations.

taniaaust1

I just saw something else which who knows, could be a money raiser for someone if someone wanted to do something like the following and could get a regular "friend" client. (You could rent yourself out to play board games with people, be a snuggler or just to be a normal person listening ear or whatever).

anyway.. along lines of this but you could advertise yourself somewhere as this example only has rent a friends for hire http://rentafriend.com/whatis