• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

News: Life shapes your nerves

roller

wiggle jiggle
How anger changes the BRAIN: Aggression causes new nerve cells to grow which can trigger even more rage in the future
  • Researchers studied changes in brains of mice with aggressive behaviour
  • After winning a fight, mice became angrier and new neurons appeared
  • This in turn appeared to cause them to become more aggressive
  • Study could shed light on angry behaviour and even how autism develops
Read more:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3433491/How-anger-changes-BRAIN-Aggression-causes-new-nerve-cells-grow-trigger-rage-future.html

The more time that the mice preferred to spend in the dark, closed space, the more their behaviour could be described as 'avoiding risk'.

If the mice were deprived of fighting for a period of time before the test, they became even more aggressive, with fights beginning sooner and lasting longer.
But their anxiety levels increased too.

For example, a male that succeeded in tearing out patches of hair from the back of a weaker mouse avoided open spaces, preferring to sit in the dark wherever possible

the study: http://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fnins.2015.00443

roller

wiggle jiggle
“Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.”

Mahatma Gandhi

hellytheelephant

I'm very very grumpy due to pain today...but why o why is the behaviour of RODENTS so often used to judge how things affect humans???
To state the obvious- I can think of more differences we have with mice than similarities! How would you know if a mouse had ME- would it fall knackered onto the sofa after cooking dinner? Would it be too tired to finish a phone call? Would it be too tired to take a shower in the morning? I would have thought the main 'stress' in a mouse's life would be the availability of cheese and other snacks, and not getting caught by a scientist and experimented on!

Rant over! Thank you @roller for posting, and always good to have a quote from Gandhi to lift our spirits on a gloomy Monday.:)

PeterPositive

Indeed life shapes your neves and, at times, something else too...
...well at least, for us dudes.. you get the idea ... :D:lol: