• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Great resource of information including old medical papers about ME

shahida

\just heard 'Dr' Crawley on Woman's Hour- she said girls are more likely to get ME probably because they're more likely to get depresson. If you get 'treatment' you're likelihood of recovery is 'high'. Why can't the BBC stop putting Crawley and her ilk on or at least get the other side. very frustrating.
Even if there are great resources out there, the media always seem to plump for her type
This resource seems really great though- good luck to them!

Gijs

Crawley thinks that fatique due to lifestyle, depression etc... is ME, she is wrong! As long there is no objective test for our disease this kind of people can say what they want. It is really sad to read such stupid things from 'experts'.... Maybe about 10 or 20 years they'll see how stupid they are when the cause of this disease is known.

Countrygirl

Crawley thinks that fatique due to lifestyle, depression etc... is ME, she is wrong! As long there is no objective test for our disease this kind of people can say what they want. It is really sad to read such stupid things from 'experts'.... Maybe about 10 or 20 years they'll see how stupid they are when the cause of this disease is known.

To be honest, I don't think they will feel in the least bit stupid.Those in the highest positions in medicine cannot fail to know the serious physical nature of this disease. Remember Dr White's 2008 talk where he admitted that ME was a serious physical illness that they had buried in 1990 by broadening the diagnostic criteria?

In the 1980s and 90s, when I was young, naive and innocent, I used to think that when 'they' realise how severe this illness is and have some idea of the potential causes then we will receive help, compassion and research funding. I was so wrong! I even used to think the chief aim of the pharmaceutical companies was to restore peoples'health. I am much older and wiser now and know I was wrong on both counts. What drives the medical industry is money and power, egos and ambition. Remember those minutes of meetings about two decades ago that recorded how it was decided that our illness was too expensive and that it was to be buried? Was it the Woodstock conference? Well, they have done a good job and Crawley is part of that as is the government's official denier of anything that could entail compensation and culpability, Prof Sir Wessely. I suspect our only source of help now is from the US as the psych brigade has us so stitched up in the UK that it is even considered acceptable to abuse children with this disease.