• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My 23andme results are in. Here are my genetic genie results. THoughts?

douglasmich

5eijpc.png

dm43di.jpg

Helen

Do you have a source for the tables? Seem to be real good information. Sorry I can´t comment on your SNP´s.

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
@douglasmich

You had more or less what I expected :)

The big ones here are MAO A, MTHFR C677T, MTHFR A1298C, and MTRR A66G. The other ones are less to non-important.

-- MAO A requires B2 and a working thyroid. (Standard thyroid lab tests may not be able to confirm this, they are limited.)

-- According to Dr. Ben Lynch, MTHFR C677T & MTHFR A1298C Compound Heterozygous = 50% loss of folate metabolism function. You may need supplemental methylfolate.

I use B12 oils (Adb/Me) to treat my MTRR A66G. This mutation does well, in many cases, with more B12 than the typical supplement delivers.

Last edited:

douglasmich

Thanks!

So what would you recommend i take?

my thyroid works but my cortisol is low leading to high RT3

I took 500mcg b12 and 200mcg folate in September and i had extreme euphoria for days then a huge crash amd i never really recovered. I tried 1200 folate and 1500b12 and i feel nothing now. I suspect i have a paradox issue or something not really sure. I was getting anxiety from fruit and veg juice (follinic acid??)

Had alot of inflammation in my body since

Methylb12 makes me really spaced out amd anxious

Last edited:

douglasmich

Do you have a source for the tables? Seem to be real good information. Sorry I can´t comment on your SNP´s.
nutrahacker.

I have MTR + MTRR....... probably needs lots of meb12.

Nutrahacker says avoid methyldonors but also says i need methylb12..........

Nutrahacker says avoid methyldonors but also says i need methylb12..........
Nutrahacker cuts and pastes random stuff from the internet into their reports, without verifying data or making sure their recommendations are even consistent. They don't seem to really understand the subject matter.

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
I took 500mcg b12 and 200mcg folate in September and i had extreme euphoria for days then a huge crash amd i never really recovered. I tried 1200 folate and 1500b12 and i feel nothing now. I suspect i have a paradox issue or something not really sure. I was getting anxiety from fruit and veg juice

Had alot of inflammation in my body since

Methylb12 makes me really spaced out amd anxious

My issue with folate was too little B2. When I.upped my levels for several weeks I could handle it better.

Your issue might be different. I suggest Dr. Ben Lynch's article on preventing methylfolate side effects for more troubleshooting ideas

douglasmich

methylb12 makes me feel bad... i guess from COMT.

Hydroxy is what yakso says i need. What do you guys think????

sregan

Hydroxy is what yakso says i need. What do you guys think????

Like you I have polymosphisims on MTR and MTRR and personally I need more MB12 than probably most people. I take MB12 but you should take whatever you respond best to.

douglasmich

Hi thanks for the reply.

Yes they are a deadly combo..... Hydroxyb12 seems debatable some people say it doesn't convert others say it doesn't absorb. ...

i suspect a functional deficiency in b12 is screwing my body up.

Not sure which protocal to follow. Fredd doesn't like hydroxy in his protocal

im not looking to do anything hard core all im doing is solid paleo diet and want to supplement for my mutations

sregan

We're finding out here that sometimes it's worse to just take one or two things because you set yourself up to induce deficiencies elsewhere.

douglasmich

well im taking
magnesium
Thorne pic mins
nature's made b complex
eating liver
vit d is top of range

looking to add in folate and b12 as per my 23andme to complete my supps

sregan

well im taking
magnesium
Thorne pic mins
nature's made b complex
eating liver
vit d is top of range

looking to add in folate and b12 as per my 23andme to complete my supps

Thorne Pic Mins doesn't have any Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphorus. You are getting Magnesium outside that it looks like. These 4 minerals make up the bulk of your body's mineral content. Potassium specifically is frequently mentioned here as one that needs to be supplemented while taking methylation supps

Helen

I have 5 COMT mutations out of 6 tested in the panel. I never had any problems with methyl donors. I have been taking MeCbl injections 10 mg every second day for about 10 years. So COMT mutations don´t generally cause problems with methyl donors. There must be other factors.

So COMT mutations don´t generally cause problems with methyl donors. There must be other factors.
Yes, the COMT hypotheses are exactly that: hypotheses. There is no research supporting the suggestion that they impact tolerance of methylB12 versus hydroxoB12. And based on all of the anecdotal reports, COMT really does look irrelevant in this context.

douglasmich

Well today i did
2mg meb12
800mcg mfolate

No reactions and slight brightening to vision. Quite differnt to what happened the first time i took folate (extreme potassium loss)

Due to MTR/MTRR i think i will work up to 5mg b12. My blood b12 was fine but i suspect i have a functional deficiecncy

will play with folate, 800mcg seems fine. I eat beef liver once a week

douglasmich

Feeling really bad. i think COMT has some merit.

I feel like my brain is poisoned. Its like an overactive feeling in my brain with intense fog. not like regular anxiety because I'm not thinking much its this sort of manic feeling :(