• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pro cross country skiier recovers from EBV

ScottTriGuy

Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.
His symptoms sound a lot like ME...

"It all started in 2014 when I was trying to make the Olympic team. I was training incredibly hard and caught Epstein Barr Virus. Unfortunately, it wasn't diagnosed correctly right away, so even though I tried to do the right thing and get sound medical advice early in the process, the doctors missed the diagnosis initially and I was given the green light to return to training. This, combined with the high training load and the massive goal of making the Olympics all compounded themselves and I just dug myself deeper and deeper into a hole. Finally everything came crashing down and I got so sick that I couldn't even leave the house. That was rock bottom."

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Interview...ess_Recovery_and_the_Long_Road_Back_5580.html

Old Bones

I can really relate to this post. Although not a "pro", I was passionate about cross-country skiing for many years prior to ME. I had already been diagnosed, and although struggling to continue working, I decided I could exercise myself to good health. My company had a well-equipped fitness centre, including a NordicTrac (cross-country simulator). Every work day for a month, I spent the entire lunch hour pushing myself on this equipment, to the point my heart ached with fatigue. I wish I knew then what I know now.

Old Bones

Me, too. . . I loved x-c skiing and did a lot of it. Also really enjoyed the community of skiers on my local trails. Sad they've all disappeared... The athlete in the article is so lucky his friends stuck by him.

@helen1 Yes, the x-country crowd is a great group of people. I belonged to a club, and what I really loved was that I could arrive at the clubhouse for the scheduled trips every weekend, and know there would always be at least one person to accompany me. In summer, we hiked the same mountain trails.

All my ski buddies disappeared as soon as I was no longer able to go -- they generally fell into the "acquaintance" category. My true friendships were based more on emotional compatibility and life circumstances. Although a few stuck by me for a few years, all were gone by my ten year "anniversary" with this life- altering illness.

helen1

My true friendships were based more on emotional compatibility and life circumstances.
That's what I realized too when I got ill. I thought I was liked for who I really was on ski and hiking trails, but it appears it was because I was a convenient 'friend'. Tough lesson most of us here have had to learn. It makes the current few friends all the more cherished. @Old Bones