• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chronic low grade fever as MCAD only symptom? Spring-summer exacerbations

Hi guys! I'd like to share with you me story to see if anyone has maybe had similar experiences or can give some advice.

Basically my main symptom is constant low grade fever (I feel hot, tired and sick) which I've had for 10 years. I'm not extremely tired as in CFS, I associate it only with elevated temperature. What's weird is that for the first 5 years I had it ONLY in spring and summer (April-September in Poland and Austria), now it's all year round, but the sunny season is still worse for me. My guess is that prolonged sun exposure makes it worse. About 3-4 years ago I developed salicylate and histamine food intolerance, which make the low grade fevers even worse. Sticking to the diet lowers a bit the temperature, but it's still there. Stress and gentle excercising and all histamine liberators (e.g. alcohol) also make it worse. When my low grade fever gets worse (e.g. from histamine in food or stress) I'd get slightly painful joints and my hands go red and dry, but that doesn't bother me much. I also tend to have yellowish stools.
I've had lots of blood tests and seen lots of doctors and everything turns out OK, apart from high IgE (tested for allergies and parasites, it's OK). Does it look like MCAD to you? My blood histamine is low (18 ng/ml) and tryptase is ok. Tested for lupus and ANA is negative.

Does anyony have similar symptoms or any advices or ideas what to look for?
I've read hundreds of posts and those low grade fevers as main symptom and exacerbation in the sunny season (spring-summer) seem very uncommon...

Old Bones

Basically my main symptom is constant low grade fever (I feel hot, tired and sick) which I've had for 10 years. I'm not extremely tired as in CFS, I associate it only with elevated temperature. What's weird is that for the first 5 years I had it ONLY in spring and summer (April-September in Poland and Austria), now it's all year round, but the sunny season is still worse for me. My guess is that prolonged sun exposure makes it worse.

Although it wasn't my main symptom (not even close), I had a constant low-grade fever for more than 20 years. And like you, sun exposure made it worse -- especially while in a vehicle, something I was never able to figure out.

About 3-4 years ago I developed salicylate and histamine food intolerance, which make the low grade fevers even worse.

Here's where we differ. About six years ago, my temperature turned from fever to sub-normal -- right about the time I started developing what I now know to be histamine/mast cell symptoms. This issue started shortly before sudden-onset rheumatoid arthritis. So like you, I have painful joints -- currently not as troublesome as intensely itchy joints; in fact, itchy everything. I'll be seeing my rheumatologist again in a couple of months, and intend to ask her about a possible histamine/MCAD/RA link. If I get any valuable information, I'll post it.

MadeleineKM

Following this tread. I have struggled with low grade fever in 20 years and its one of my worst symptoms because it feels like a high fever and it makes me faint easily when I try to walk around. I have low C3a and C4a, my interleukin 6,8 and 10 is raised. Il 6 makes the fever response am I right? My "normal" temp is 35,5 and "fever" temp is 37-38. I have lots of allergies and two autoimmune diagnoses as well as the ME. The strange thing is, when I take Nobligan/Tramadol the fever calms down for about 6-7hours. I read that Tramadol lowers the IL 6 and maybe thats the explanation. I was thinking if there was some other medication that had the ability to lower the fever response maybe that would give some temporary relieve too. It would be so interesting if some one else experience that this helps

Low grade fevers are main symptom and they are surprisingly very bothersome.
This sun connection isn't that obvious in my case, because I don't react immediately and when I only had low grade fever in spring and summer I used to have risen temperature even when I stayed at home for more than a week, so it was a prolonged reaction.
Well in my case, docs are clueless, all rheumo tests are OK, except for C3 and C4, which are on the verge of normal and low and they used to be in range. i often have slightly to little leukocytes and neutrophils and too many lymphocytes and that's it.
Yeah, IL6 is proinflammatory. I did the cytokines test and I'm very low on IL-10 and very close to high on TNFalfa, which is very proinflammatory. IL-10 produces TRegs which is bad for me to have too few of them.
NSAIDs don't work on me, but I didn't try Tramadol.
Have you tried steroids for low grade fever? I took a small/medium dose for 2 months, but they didn't help me at all and now docs can give me a higher one...