• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Zinc and Histamine Question

Hi everyone - this is only my second post though I've been a 'lurker' for a while now :)

I wondered if anyone shares my experience with zinc raising histamine levels? Apparently I am zinc deficient and have been told to take 30mg daily. I can manage 15mg and all is fine for a few days but then my skin/scalp becomes very itchy, I get heart palpitations, constipation, big time anxiety and insomnia.

I try to eat as low a histamine diet as I possibly can, but taking zinc seems to make the levels rise uncontrollably.

I think I'm bit better on Jarrow's Zinc Balance (15:1 zinc-copper) - at least I'm not craving copper foods, but the problem's still there. Zinc citrate was worse and piccolinate was like taking amphetamines with a Jager Bomb chaser!

Anyone else had this effect? Dr is confused as am I

Gijs

I used zinc 15mg for some time. I felt better. Do you also have white spots on your nails?

Nope, no outward signs of zinc deficiency - acne etc. Just 30% deficiency according to blood test

ahmo

I don't know about zinc and histamine relationship. However, FMN form of B2, activated B2, made a huge reduction in my histamine issues. Possibly it's especially effective w/ MAO snps. I recorded my experience, linked in my signature. good luck, and Congrats on your first post.:)

Stretched

I wondered if anyone shares my experience with zinc raising histamine levels? Zinc citrate was worse and piccolinate was like taking amphetamines with a Jager Bomb chaser!

Anyone else had this effect? Dr is confused as am I

'Just saw your post and recognized a problem I once had... .

I have histimine reactions to select foods, eg bananas, tomatoes, and others I can't readily recall. (There is a site ? that lists histamine releasing foods; try a Google search). I use a counter product called 'Histame', (Diamine Oxidase) available on Amazon.

For heart palpitations try adding Potassium along with Magnesium. They'll help add ions to your GI which in turn
communicates with the brain, sic to lower palpitations.

As for Zinc, I use it 2x a day with L-Carnosine for general GI calming which works well for me to prevent burning.
You could try it as a counter effect, along with Magnesium (other than Oxide) for calming late in the evening.
(There are a plethora of other supplement combinations for specific affects related to your concerns but this would get overly wordy here. You might want to pick up a cross reference supplement ebook. Also, rxlist.com and drugs.com, and others have sections devoted to supplements and their effects.)

'Hope this helps:balanced:

FWIW, Chromium and Cr Piccolinate, specifically is used to maintain stable blood/sugar levels, eg to lower spikes.
Again, you could try any of the above products as they are pretty universally available.

50mg of zinc a few days in a row makes my 2 chipped teeth very sensitive. I don't know if it is due to histamine or not.

Stretched

50mg of zinc a few days in a row makes my 2 chipped teeth very sensitive. I don't know if it is due to histamine or not.
I don't know about these specifics of cause and effect but you could always get a quick fix right now.

Try a small tube of Sensodyne or Crest Sensitive toothpaste and a tube of Anbesol paste for tooth pain (together ~$10). Brush with both combined to desensitize the pain, but beware you may be covering up some other problem that needs dental care!

Thanks so much for your responses guys! I will do some research and try out a few things :)