• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

how to detox SULPHUR

A zombie

can anyone tell me what they use to detox sulphur?i'm currently on a high protein diet and i/m not tolerating the meat, i don't think. Trying to kill candida etc.
I took sparga for alton time and now looking back it worked well as i always could handle meat.is there anything else to take to detox the sulphur so i can enjoy meat?
haven't a clue what int eh world i would eat if i had to take meat out and stay low carb and paleo...i don't need advice on a diet, i cant tolerate MANY foods, just what will help me detox, thanks!

caledonia

Why do you think it's sulfur? What are your symptoms? Are you also having trouble with other sulfur containing foods or supplements?

Trouble with meat could also be low stomach acid or ammonia, in which case moly may or may not be helpful.

Amounts above 75mcg of moly could be problematic for long term use as it could drive sulfur too low.

A zombie

yes i think maybe it's low stomach acid, ordered HCL.
Honestly it started when i was eating more meat so i thought sulphur but the more iv'e thought about it, i think you're HOPEFULLY right, that is just LOW HCL and can be easily substituted???
But i've been having issues in general with digestion for along time...
i guess if i stay away from problematic foods like dairy and eggs, gluten , dairy, i'm ok. i've
lost several lbs this week with going CLEAN. And it think it's cuz i really upped the protein.
I have lyme, malabsorption issues, yeast, hashimotos, Adrenal fatigue and lots of genetic mutations...

Mary

Moderator Resource
@A zombie - HCL helped me a LOT with digestion. PWC tend to be low in stomach acid. I think it may be related to a B1 deficiency and B1 is necessary for stomach acid production. BTW, I tried digestive enzymes first which didn't do much for me, but when I added in the HCL it made a world of difference.

A zombie

lets put it this way , i had some meatloaf at dinner and some HCL and didnt race to the bathroom minutes after i ate. I'm hoping this is a trend :)
you take the HCL till you feel the burn, right , and then back off by one, yes?

ahmo

what is PWC?
People with CFS; alternatively, PWME.

yes.

I used a variety of things to combat sulfur/ammonia. I used butyrate w/ meals, I can't recall the exact function. I used ornithine, arginine, lysine, cittruline in footbaths, self-testing for which I needed/ Then I switched to malic acid, which was then the only one I needed. And I do also use fairly high doses of molybd. I'm using 450mcg AM/PM. I tried up to twice that amount, but got no further benefit. If it turns out HCL isn't the solution, here's an excellent thread.
It includes conversation re sulfites vs ammonia. the OP of the thread, aaron_c, has also posted interesting info re molybd, in that thread and elsewhere.

And there's a direct link w/ Vit B2.

Last edited:

Mary

Moderator Resource
lets put it this way , i had some meatloaf at dinner and some HCL and didnt race to the bathroom minutes after i ate. I'm hoping this is a trend :)

Yes, that's what my doctor told me re dosage - take it till you feel a burn, and then back off by one. It seems I had different symptoms than you with my low HCL - my food would just sit in my stomach, it felt like for days .... it was just not getting digested. And my chiro told I couldn't fix anything else until I got my digestion working properly, so that I could absorb all the various supplements I needed to take. Hope it helps you!

A zombie

People with CFS; alternatively, PWME.

yes.

I used a variety of things to combat sulfur/ammonia. I used butyrate w/ meals, I can't recall the exact function. I used ornithine, arginine, lysine, cittruline in footbaths, self-testing for which I needed/ Then I switched to malic acid, which was then the only one I needed. And I do also use fairly high doses of molybd. I'm using 450mcg AM/PM. I tried up to twice that amount, but got no further benefit. If it turns out HCL isn't the solution, here's an excellent thread.
It includes conversation re sulfites vs ammonia. the OP of the thread, aaron_c, has also posted interesting info re molybd, in that thread and elsewhere.

And there's a direct link w/ Vit B2.
its funny my nutra eval showed no issues with ammonia or mercury. Yet i had a mouth full of mercury for most of y life. Not so sure nutra eval got it right...

renski

Nutreval will only show current exposure of heavy metals if your going by the rbc markers, the ammonia markers can be fine also and you can still have ammonia issues. Test blood ammonia