• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

24-hour Saliva Cortisol Test and Caffeine?

outdamnspot

Just a follow-up question to my previous thread about Cortisol tests ..

Someone suggested that the best results would be obtained if all supplements etc. were stopped for 2 weeks prior to doing the test. However, that isn't a realistic option for me unfortunately because of severity of my symptoms and the urgency with which I'm trying to get help -- I have an appointment booked for 12 day's time at an integrative medicine clinic and wanted my results ready before then. I feel so awful that hopefully something will be captured, even if it isn't under ideal conditions.

I've ordered the test, which should be here tomorrow.

What I was wondering is: if I use caffeine daily (1-2 cups) and therefore presumably have some tolerance to its cortisol-raising effects (I believe it lowers cortisol with daily use), should I consume coffee as normal on the day of testing, or stop it? I wasn't sure if sudden cessation might cause more problems, or if it would just be better to be caffeine/supplement free on the day of the test.

(FWIW the only other supplement I use is magnesium).

PennyIA

I did skip my caffeine for the day I took my cortisol test... even though I'm a Pepsi-a-day addict. I saved the test for a day when I could suffer through the resulting headache.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@outdamnspot - I've never heard of someone developing a tolerance to caffeine's cortisol-raising effects, and I've also never heard that it lowers cortisol with daily use. I don't think either of those statements are true (though I could be wrong!)

As to whether or not to stop caffeine on the day of the test, I think you should call the clinic and ask what they would prefer. I just read some on-line instructions re this test, which advised asking your doctor.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Caffeine could interfere with the test results.

http://www.planetnaturopath.com/functional-pathology-testing/how-to-do-a-saliva-adrenal-test
We know that caffeine helps stimulate us in a positive way! It’s a known central nervous system (CNS) stimulant, plus it can stimulate our adrenals to release more cortisol and adrenaline. But too much caffeine can further stress already-stressed adrenal function!
So, with all the above in mind, it might be wise to avoid caffeine for approximately 24 hours before doing the saliva test. i.e. it may be miserable for many to avoid it for two weeks, but perhaps a total avoidance for 24 hours will help before doing saliva testing. Or, one can wean a little at a time until they are able to avoid it completely for 24 hours before saliva.

You may find more results by googling "cortisol saliva test kit caffeine."

outdamnspot

I did skip my caffeine for the day I took my cortisol test... even though I'm a Pepsi-a-day addict. I saved the test for a day when I could suffer through the resulting headache.
@outdamnspot - I've never heard of someone developing a tolerance to caffeine's cortisol-raising effects, and I've also never heard that it lowers cortisol with daily use. I don't think either of those statements are true (though I could be wrong!)

As to whether or not to stop caffeine on the day of the test, I think you should call the clinic and ask what they would prefer. I just read some on-line instructions re this test, which advised asking your doctor.

"While caffeine prompts cortisol production, a 2005 study published in the journal Psychosomatic Medicine found that regular coffee drinking increases our tolerance, blunting this effect somewhat. Subjects in this study who were given caffeine after a five-day fast showed cortisol spikes in the morning; an effect which diminished after several days of regular exposure."

Mary

Moderator Resource
"While caffeine prompts cortisol production, a 2005 study published in the journal Psychosomatic Medicine found that regular coffee drinking increases our tolerance, blunting this effect somewhat. Subjects in this study who were given caffeine after a five-day fast showed cortisol spikes in the morning; an effect which diminished after several days of regular exposure."

That's interesting @outdamnspot - Although it sounds like it was a very short study - they refer to several days exposure. So I don't know what the effect would be long-term. Curious that it was published in the journal of Psychosomatic Medicine! :sluggish:

PennyIA

I'd also state that even without caffiene the day of the test my cortisol increased dramatically for the whole day long.... per Naturalpathic doctor - this is typical of a patient who has insomnia and hasn't slept for 2 weeks. But, I'm the exception in that I get a good 8-9 hours of deep sleep every night BUT wake up unrefreshed.... unlike a lot of fellow sufferers who have trouble sleeping. I always thought that someday this will have a meaning to prove part of our condition as 'something' isn't happening during my sleep and that 'something' probably contributes to adrenal fatigue, etc.