• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What are the safe ranges for Methylmalonic Acid?

Mij

@Peyt I'm not sure what you're asking, labs have different ranges. If your numbers are 'high' on your MMA results that's an indication that your B12 levels are LOW.

Peyt

@Peyt I'm not sure what you're asking, labs have different ranges. If your numbers are 'high' on your MMA results that's an indication that your B12 levels are LOW.

The range used on the tests is not always accurate,
For example, the test range for b-12 is 211-946 but most Doctors say if one is lower than 300 they are B12 deficient.
In Europe, they like to see B12 above 500

I am assuming the same goes with MMA and that's why I am asking.
The range showing on the test is 0-378... is 378 really the top range?

Mij

My MMA was up at 78%, so that is upper/normal range. Still within normal range.

My blood test for B12 at that time was 395 which is considered lowish.

Mij

@Peyt do you have symptoms that may indicate low B12?

When I had my MMA and B12 blood test done years ago I thought I was ok since I was within range and didn't "fee"l I had low B12 symptoms. I didn't supplement.

As the years went by my B12 levels kept dropping and I was starting to feel symptoms, so I had my B12 tested again and it was down at 210. Still "within range" but not feeling good. My doctor said, oh it's just a little low. what? She refused to give me B12 shots so I started supplementing with Mb12 and a coenzymated B complex. I realize now that I was deficient for many years but because my doctor told me my levels were "good" I didn't pay attention to symptoms.

Peyt

@Peyt do you have symptoms that may indicate low B12?

When I had my MMA and B12 blood test done years ago I thought I was ok since I was within range and didn't "fee"l I had low B12 symptoms. I didn't supplement.

As the years went by my B12 levels kept dropping and I was starting to feel symptoms, so I had my B12 tested again and it was down at 210. Still "within range" but not feeling good. My doctor said, oh it's just a little low. what? She refused to give me B12 shots so I started supplementing with Mb12 and a coenzymated B complex. I realize now that I was deficient for many years but because my doctor told me my levels were "good" I didn't pay attention to symptoms.

Here are my symptoms:

1. Low Energy
2. Get tired all the time
3. Headaches 2-3 times a week
4. Feeling agitated and easily angered.
5. My body hurts all over
6. Mild Tachycardia (heart rate around 103 when sitting)

I took a Methylcobalamin shot last week and I felt good energy for 1 day and the pain in my body was gone for 1 day too but then it all returned. Also I had headaches the next day.

I have heard that high MMA really requires Adenosylcobalamin not Methylcobalamin, especially in my case because I am an over-methylator (COMT++ , VDR++., and CBS++)

Yesterday I tried this new product called "ATP-20" by Douglass Lab. which has an element called "Adenosine Triphosphate" I did feel a little energy during the day and okay sleep at night and no other side effects. I will try it for 2 more days to see any side effects.

I also bought some Adeno12(3,000 mcg Adenosylcobalamin) by "Seeking Health" which I will try sometime next week.

I was surprised to find out that the compounding pharmacy that my doctor uses does not carry Adenosylcobalamin
in a form of shots. Very disappointing.

Last edited:

Gondwanaland

it says: nmol/L
So I think MMA is not a concern
Here are my symptoms:

1. Low Energy
2. Get tired all the time
3. Headaches 2-3 times a week
4. Feeling agitated and easily angered.
5. My body hurts all over
6. Mild Tachycardia (heart rate around 103 when sitting)
Have you already tried B6?

What is your fasting insulin? Homocysteine? Taking the serum fasting insulin and Glucose Tolerance Test should be helpful. Your description seems like insulin inflammation.

Peyt

So I think MMA is not a concern

Have you already tried B6?

What is your fasting insulin? Homocysteine? Taking the serum fasting insulin and Glucose Tolerance Test should be helpful. Your description seems like insulin inflammation.
I have tried B6 in a form of P5P .. I take 50mg every day and if I take more I get bad headaches
My Homocysteine was 12.9 (Range 0- 15) umol/L
I did take a Glucose Tolerance Test (attached ) which showed normal except on the 3rd hour the insulin dropped fast and then picked up a little ....
But I also read there is a relationship between ATP ( Adenosine Triphosphate ) and Glucose, so the point that you bring up is interesting.

Attachments

• Glucose.pdf
    237 KB · Views: 11

Gondwanaland

My Homocysteine was 12.9 (Range 0- 15) umol/L
Everyone wants this one around 6.5 - 8. I changed mine with diet alone, before I started taking supps, and with a low B12 even. Then I took MB12 and it lowered even more. But it can strongly vary with diet. My results were like this:

12.7 (on a gluten free diet)
8.2 (one month into a paleo-ish diet with the introduction of healthy fats and a slight reduction of carbs)
6.8 (on a paleo diet with limited carbs + MB12 supplementation)
9.8 (took Mfolate, bad reaction, stopped all supps, one week later had this result)
7.96 (my latest measurement in last May on a medium carb Paleo-ish diet, while taking Whey protein powder + silica supplement regularly)

Homocysteine measures endothelium damage. Glutamine (or whey protein powder with a natural glutamine content) + a silica supplement + healthy fats - lard/butter to cook, olive oil - help to heal endothelium damage. Glutamine can be depleted by gluten and a high lectin diet. Do you eat gluten?

I have tried B6 in a form of P5P .. I take 50mg every day and if I take more I get bad headaches
Personally I prefer pyridoxine rather than P-5-P. I have read that for each mg you take of B6 or P5P, you also need 2 mg of Magnesium, so for 50mg P5P, 100 mg Magnesium should be taken as well.

I have observed that B2 deals with headaches for both my husband and myself (he gets them more often than I do these days).

I did take a Glucose Tolerance Test (attached ) which showed normal except on the 3rd hour the insulin dropped fast and then picked up a little ....
What did your doctor say about this result? I have just started educating myself about it and don't know what your result means. I am seeing my dr. next month and will ask her for this test, which I have never takaen myself.
But I also read there is a relationship between ATP ( Adenosine Triphosphate ) and Glucose, so the point that you bring up is interesting.
Interesting! Could you please expand on that?

Peyt

here is a video that explains a little about Glucose conversion to ATP
........ But I am still looking to see if there is a relationship between ATP and adesynocobalamin......... I put up a separate thread on this site about this but no one replied.