• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does the effect of probiotics depend on gender?

Do probiotics have a positive or negative effect on your condition?

• Total voters

msf

See the ´Nature Article Uses ME/CFS to Examine the Microgenderome´ in ´Latest ME/CFS research. If you are feeling generous, you can tell us how you voted and which probiotics you took.

msf

I have tried three probiotics so far, VSL3, Mutaflor, and Custom Probiotic´s 5 strain Bifido, and they have all had a negative effect on my condition, giving me more pain/aches, a sore throat, looser stools, and more tiredness/general malaise.

Mij

Well, the sauerkraut says, "various strains of lactobacillus"

Kefir doesn't say.

I didn't vote but they really help.

Mij

I should also mention that my Great Smokies test from years ago stated I had "0" Lactobacillus in my gut.

A.B.

It seems pretty random to me. They can either be helpful, do nothing, or be harmful. Is it unusual to get worse on a probiotic?

PS: male and did not vote since there is no choice that is correct.

msf

I don´t know how unusual it is, but all the stories I can think of people getting worse are from males. I should have added a ´some good, some bad´ option.

Last edited:

msf

I should also mention that my Great Smokies test from years ago stated I had "0" Lactobacillus in my gut.

Well, I apparently have zero Bifidobacteria, but taking a Bifido probiotic makes me feel awful.

msf

Damn you!

Haha, just kidding. In the other thread you said you took ´too much´ - so was the initial effect positive?

Mij

Kefir varies a lot, I gather, but generally seems to have a lot more strains than yoghurt. This site carries an interesting list:

http://www.culturesforhealth.com/milk-kefir-grains-composition-bacteria-yeast

I had zero effects from yoghurt and taking probiotics. Fermented foods make a difference for me. I would agree with it says in that link, "the bacteria in milk kefir, on the other hand, can actually colonize the intestinal tract. Kefir also contains a far larger range of bacteria, in addition to containing yeasts".

Crux

Damn you!

Haha, just kidding. In the other thread you said you took ´too much´ - so was the initial effect positive?

It's been over 30 years, but, I don't think I had a great healing feeling. It may have deterred fungal infections. I used to have athlete's foot, and nail problems.

*GG*

Haven't done probiotics in years probably helped. Still have digestive issues, been taking my Creon again.

GG

PennyIA

I did vote negative and I am a female. I've tried 5 different kinds and had serious issues with each attempt.

But I think the question is probably moot. Because honestly?

• I think it helps if it's what you need
  • It's harmful if it's the LAST thing your body needs and triggers problems
  • No impact just means that you didn't need it and it didn't worsen your condition

Until we know how to diagnose the ROOT problems, it's just another shot in the dark and it's likely to help some, harm others and leave others scratching their heads as it doesn't seem to matter.