• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Need help with putting together methylation mutations../ could someone knowlegdable please help?

homozygous:
MAO-A TT ++
VDR-Taq AA ++
MTHFR C677T ++

heterozygous:
COMT V158M AG
COMT H62H CT
MTRR A66G AG
MTRR K350A +-
BHMT-08 CT
CBS C699T
CBS A360A

This is all very mind-boggling for me. It caused my so much stress when I first received the results I had to step away from it for a few months. I have been taking methyl-folate (400 mcg) and methyl B12 since July of last year, though.

So....

VDR-Taq++ compined with COMT +- equals moderate need for dopamine/methyl donors, however some of my COMT genes are --, mean HIGH need for dopamine/ methyl donors. I do have symptoms of ADHD, so maybe it could be attributed to this?

I take 2000 IU of D3. I also take phosphitidyl serine and eat dark chocolate, all of which are methyl donors. I do well with L-theanine and melatonin (methyl donors) Methyl-B12 should be good for me, right? However, the big issue hear is that methyl-folate is supposed to cause issues for the MAO-A ++ gene. But on the other hand, isn't metyl-folate extremely important for me since I'm homozygous MTHFR C677T? Like I said I have been taking methyl-folate in a low dose (400 mcg) for months and do well on it. I also eat a lot of vegetables that contain it. However, I tried increasing to 800 mcg, and felt like I had been hit by a truck and didn't feel right for weeks. I reduced back to 400 mcg. So the question is, should I keep trying to slowly increase my methy-folate because of MTHFR and VDR-taq, or keep it at 400 mcg because of MAO-A?

Interestingly, I had off-the-charts high levels of B12 and folate before I started either of these supplements so it seems my body is not very good at utilizing them.

I'm pretty sure I'm OCD, although I don't see a therapist. That seems appropriate for an MAO-A defunct. Prozac and 5-HTP were a nightmare for me, which makes sense if I'm unable to break down serotonin. Can lithium orotate help with the defunct?

Is a heterozygous CBS mutation a big deal? My homocysteine isn't super-high or low (7). The idea of not being able to eat garlic, onions, or eggs is devastating to me because I love to cook and these foods are the foundation of cooking. I also had an eating disorder and limiting any food causes enormous stress for me which is more unhealthy than anything, I'm sure

I need help relating how all these malfunctions interact with each other... please help! I guess my biggest question is the methyl-folate needed for MTHFR and VDR-taq but not advised for MAO-A......

My lab work is normal except for:

unexplained elevated bone-specific alkaline phosphatase and intestinal alk phos
low thyroid
elevated folate/b12
low iron
high cortisol

symptoms:

fatigue
anxiety
OCD
depression
varicose veins