• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help. I'm so sick and don't know what drug(s) to take-- Xifaxan, Lauricidin, Famvir

el_squared

Hi Friends,

So I have CFS/Fibro and digestive issues like IBS and probably SIBO. My fatigue has been terrible for months and I'm on disability at the moment. I've gotten worse in the past couple of days and I wonder if it's because I've taken Lauricidin a couple of times.

So I guess my immediate question is: Have any of you had a bad reaction to Lauricidin/monolaurin (I know it's called a die off) that lasted for a few days, from just one dose?

Here's quick history followed by another question:

Saturday: On Saturday, per my naturopath, I started a round of Xifaxan. I only took two of the 550mg tablets knowing I often have bad reactions to things. So one tab in the early afternoon and one in the evening. I also took several Lauricidin pellets, close to a 1/4 teaspoon, also per my naturopath.

Sunday: That day I felt fine but the next day, Sunday, I could get out of bed. I did not take more Xifaxan or Lauricidin.

Monday: Monday I woke up feeling sort of functional but quickly went down hill and had to spend most of the day in bed. I took a few pellets of Lauricidin but did not take the Xifaxan. My digestion is very slow and I'm having indigestion.

Tuesday/today: I feel so horrible and I've been in bed all day. My face is bloated and red and my eyes are rheumy.

Meanwhile, I'm supposed to be starting Famvir as prescribed by a CFS practitioner at Stanford. I keep delaying it because I was on some antibiotics for a sinus infection. Then I got a terrible cold. Then the naturopath said I should treat Sibo with Xifaxan and yeast with Monolaurin.

I really don't know what direction to go in at this point. Thoughts?

thanks,
Laura

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I'll ou talk about the av part of this. I could not tolerate one pellet if lauricidin. I felt horrible and never tried again.

I take Famvir. I suggest you start very slow. 1/2 tablet once a day and stay at that dose until you feel ok for a few days. Then go up. I felt bad for about 3 days. I waited a few then upped it. Now I take 1000 mgs no problem.

You don't get die off from antivirals but you can feel crappy.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
So I guess my immediate question is: Have any of you had a bad reaction to Lauricidin/monolaurin (I know it's called a die off) that lasted for a few days, from just one dose?
There are several threads giving people's experience with Lauriciden/monolaurin. Here in one. For others, click and search and then Google Site Search.
I started a round of Xifaxan. I only took two of the 550mg tablets knowing I often have bad reactions to things.
What dose of Xifaxin did your doctor prescribe? I have taken it with good results but I took a lower dose--600 mg per day for 8 days. I have heard of others who had trouble with higher doses of this drug. You'll find more with a Google Site Search.

Best wishes with this.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I remember you posted. You're lucky to be seeing a good doc. Many of us don't have that. waiting doesn't help you.

Just assume you'll feel crap. I've felt horrible for weeks. No idea why. But I don't stop trying to figure it out.

This disease ain't for sissies.

el_squared

There are several threads giving people's experience with Lauriciden/monolaurin. Here in one. For others, click and search and then Google Site Search.
What dose of Xifaxin did your doctor prescribe? I have taken it with good results but I took a lower dose--600 mg per day for 8 days. I have heard of others who had trouble with higher doses of this drug. You'll find more with a Google Site Search.

Best wishes with this.
That's good to know. I was thinking that 550mg three times day was too high. I took a round in August, and I'm pretty sure each capsule was less in mg's and I only took one each day, at night. That I seemed to tolerate.

Clerner

. Then the naturopath said I should treat Sibo with Xifaxan and yeast with Monolaurin.
Monolaurin has helped me prevent yeast infections. Not sure if it can cure it. I did not have a bad reaction to it. Unfortunately, when I was on valtrex (caused depression/anger) I ended up getting bacterial vaginosis. Probably bc my poor immunity? Anyway, I am now on Famir, and can't seem to get rid of bv. I just started flagyl for likely sibo and the bv. Only 2 day of it though. Hope xifaxan helps the sibo. Please keep us posted!