• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chimerix Shares Plunge After Late Stage Trial Fails

RL_sparky

Chimerix Inc. CMRX-81.61% said Monday that the Phase 3 trial of a drug used to prevent infections following blood and marrow transplants didn’t meet its goals.

"The company’s drug brincidofovir failed to prevent cytomegalovirus infections 24 weeks after patients received hematopoietic cell transplants, which help restore marrow and immunity functionality. Consistent with the 2013 Phase 2 trial, the drug did reduce infection rates after 14 weeks of treatment. However, in the next 10 weeks, after treatment was stopped, there was an increase in infections and a “non-statistically significant increase in mortality” compared with the control group".

http://www.wsj.com/articles/chimerix-shares-plunge-after-late-stage-trial-fails-1451309865

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/chimerix-shares-crater-after-late-stage-trial-fails-2015-12-28

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Chimerix Inc. CMRX-81.61% said Monday that the Phase 3 trial of a drug used to prevent infections following blood and marrow transplants didn’t meet its goals.
That's too bad. It is a drug we were watching--though this trial is testing a different scenario than the more broad anti-viral application that would be more interesting to us. I wonder if these results will prevent an approval?

RL_sparky

That's too bad. It is a drug we were watching--though this trial is testing a different scenario than the more broad anti-viral application that would be more interesting to us. I wonder if these results will prevent an approval?

From A Reuters article:
"The company, which will present full data on the trial in a medical conference next year, said it would consult the United States Food and Drug Administration to decide on the future of the drug.
The Durham, North Carolina-based company plans to continue testing brincidofovir for serious DNA virus infections and smallpox."
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-chimerix-study-idUSKBN0UB10320151228

Kati

Patient in training
That is very unfortunate as it seemed like it was a promising drug for our patient population.

I wonder if this could somehow play in our favor with the company willing to 'diversify' and get clinical trials started for us?

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
It seems the drug keeps infections away while on it but it stated 10 weeks after finishing the antiviral , the viruses came back. Its not too different to any av in that instant.

I wonder if this av works on a different part of say cmv compared to other avs like valcyte or famvir. Maybe taking a traditional av like famvir with a new av that works in a different process of viral replication, would be much more effective , similar to combining hiv meds ie reduce resistance and improve effectiveness .

I think this is a different drug to what dr peterson was interested in which was cmx001 .

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Brincidofovir and CMX001 are the same drug. I had high hopes for this drug being something that could help a sub group of patients.

Ok thereis a couple of herpes drugs coming and there was another cmx drug coming out, cmx157??????

A new improved form of tenofovir , still might have good effects against herpes viruses with a study on vzv. I wonder if it also works against RVs??

Kati

Patient in training
It seems the drug keeps infections away while on it but it stated 10 weeks after finishing the antiviral , the viruses came back. Its not too different to any av in that instant.

I wonder if this av works on a different part of say cmv compared to other avs like valcyte or famvir. Maybe taking a traditional av like famvir with a new av that works in a different process of viral replication, would be much more effective , similar to combining hiv meds ie reduce resistance and improve effectiveness .

I think this is a different drug to what dr peterson was interested in which was cmx001 .
It's supposed to be much more potent than current antivirals.