• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I have a question, please ( Cd4/ Cd8 ratio)

For those who have already measuring their CD4 / CD8 ratio, how was it, please?

• increased

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • normal

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • too low

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I measure it several times, and the results vary (thank you to specify in comments)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

morse27

Ratio CD4/CD8 high
CD4 , CD8 and CD52 are always elevated
this balance CD4/CD8 is common in many auto immune diseases, not only in ME/CFS Illness
its normal in gulf war illness sufferers with high level NK lymph of inate immune system (difference with ME/CFS : low NK cell level)

halcyon

this balance CD4/CD8 is common in many auto immune diseases, not only in ME/CFS Illness
There has not been consistent findings on CD4/CD8 ratio in CFS research. Dedra Buchwald found increased ratio in one study, but the majority of studies actually found decreased ratio, including one where 100% of the patients were decreased.

Last edited:

Gingergrrl

My CD4 and CD8 were both normal but I am not sure how to figure out the ratio or what this means? I assume I vote "normal" in the poll but do not really understand it!

Kati

Patient in training
My CD4 and CD8 were both normal but I am not sure how to figure out the ratio or what this means? I assume I vote "normal" in the poll but do not really understand it!
The CD4/CD8 ratio is a simple calculation, usually provided by the lab. If you have a measure of your absolute CD4 and CD8 counts, simply divide: CD4 divided by CD8. The number you obtain is the ratio.

Whether this number is relevant and provide more insight, i don't know. also keep in mind that the numbers you got a year, or more ago may not represent what is actually going on today.
It is a value that can fluctuate throughout the course of the disease, just as CD4 and CD8 fluctuate.

Gingergrrl

@Kati Thank you and I looked at the labs more carefully and it does give the CD4/CD8 ratio and I don't know how I missed it! My ratio was normal at 2.09 and the range was from 0.80 to 5.00.

Kati

Patient in training
@Kati Thank you and I looked at the labs more carefully and it does give the CD4/CD8 ratio and I don't know how I missed it! My ratio was normal at 2.09 and the range was from 0.80 to 5.00.
For most of us, we will be within range. HIV patients who have VERY very low CD4 counts wil have a very low ratio, but then the drs would have figured out otherwise that they were indeed very sick.

Ellkaye

Before ARV treatment :

immunocompromised very low cd3, immunocompromised very low cd4, immunocompromised very low cd8.

With ARV treatment :

immunonormal cd3,
immunonormal cd4,
immunonormal cd8

Ellkaye

For most of us, we will be within range. HIV patients who have VERY very low CD4 counts wil have a very low ratio, but then the drs would have figured out otherwise that they were indeed very sick.

And if they have very low CD8 (as well as vrry low CD4) what is the impact on their ratio?

funkyqueen

There's not been consistent findings on CD4/CD8 ratio in CFS research. Dedra Buchwald found increased ratio in one study, but the majority of studies actually found decreased ratio, including one where 100% of the patients were decreased.

Thanks !

This study is, in part, responsible for my question :

Neuro Endocrinol Lett. 2015 Nov 28;36(5):439-446. [Epub ahead of print]
Increased expression of activation antigens on CD8+ T lymphocytes in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome: inverse associations with lowered CD19+ expression and CD4+/CD8+ ratio, but no associations with (auto)immune.
[No authors listed]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14535577

Others interestings studies :
http://www.me-ireland.com/scientific/1.immune.htm#20

Extracts from this source :

"
Abnormally high or Low CD4/CD8 ratio and other T cell abnormalities

T-cell helper to T-cell suppressor ratio. Normal ratio for CD4 cell : CD8 cell is 1 : 4. Abnormal ratios suggests immune dysfunction. In ME this depends on :

(i) the existence of subgroups
(ii) the progression of the illness over time in phases (Hornig et al. (2013), Dr. Paul Cheney (3 phases of the illness)
(iii) if the patient is having active infection(s) including opportunistic infections
(iv) whether he/she is in remission or in relapse. And if they have mild, moderate or severe ME.
(iv) the patient's genetic weaknesses
(v) gradual onset ME or rapid onset ? .
"

Last edited:

Ellkaye

Before ARV treatment :

immunocompromised very low cd3, immunocompromised very low cd4, immunocompromised very low cd8.

With ARV treatment :

immunonormal cd3,
immunonormal cd4,
immunonormal cd8

I voted normal for the cd4/8 ratio.

Normal before arv's and normal after arv's.
0.1 0.2 0.3 fluctuations very very neglible.

All cd3,4,8's increased significantly on arv's and proportionally and equally so, hence the cd4/8 ratio itself didn't ever change that much at all as the cd3,4,8 counts all proportionally improved.

Total white blood cell count (twbcc) was always more or less normal even if sometimes very negligibly/very insignificantly low.
More chance statistically of sometimes having very negligibly/very insignificantly low twbcc if low cd3,4,8 (as in my case)?

Some studies exclude you as a patient if actual blood counts are even just a bit low.