• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Getting a Laptop

Cindi

Hi all
It is first time i will get a laptop. I am lying down on my left side, knees oulled towards the chest. I need to get a laptop i can use at this position. Could not decide betwen apple mcbook and hp Pavilion with touch screen. Both have similar weights former being little lighter. I wonder if i can use macbook at this lying position comfortably or would touch screen be easier to use. Any insights? Thanks.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I have a macbook and have used a mac for years. Right now I have it laying on my hip, I'm sort of contorted. I also lay on my back with it on my thighs. I do have a tray under it that has panels to keep it from sliding around on me.

I think a touch screen would be harder because I'd have to keep moving my arms a way from the keyboard to touch the screen. Moving my arms is exhausting. I think having to do that would kind of get old fast. I don't think the weight is significant.

Also, I got both my Macs' from apple refurbished. last year I got a 2012 MB pro with retina screen. It's like brand new and Apple treats it like new.

Also, I don't have to worry about viruses (on my computer anyway LOL) because they are rare or non-existent for macs.

halcyon

I wonder if i can use macbook at this lying position comfortably or would touch screen be easier to use. Any insights? Thanks.
I find it pretty comfortable to use my (non touchscreen) Thinkpad laptop in this position actually. The only concern I would bring up is to make sure that the laptop you want doesn't vent the cooling fan exhaust out the side that you want to lay on. This isn't a problem with Macbooks because they vent out the top where the screen meets the body of the laptop, but a lot of PC laptops vent out the sides or the rear.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@halcyon I think side venting would be ok from the way I use mine which is 13". Mine still gets really hot so in the summer I have a cooling pad that I keep underneath it. Another possibility is to get a separate keyboard so you can set the laptop on a table or next to you and just keep the keyboard on your lap.

I'll be needing a new laptop soon as the one I'm using now is failing. I was thinking of getting one with an ssd drive as there is no problem with venting or heat. But I also thought you guys might be interested in a laptop bracket if you spend a lot of time in bed or don't want to have to balance a computer on your lap or hip or on the bed etc. http://www.amazon.co.uk/adjustable-...qid=1451298828&sr=8-1&keywords=laptop+bracket You just clamp it to your night stand or some solid piece of furniture and push it out of the way when you don't need it. I think there are probably cheaper ones out there.

Cindi

Thank you so much all for your help. You have been so helpful. What do you thinkabout wirelass modem usage? Thanks.

Hi Cindi, can you say a little more about what you mean by wireless modem? Most laptops operate by wifi (wireless connection to the internet). Wifi - like cordless phones and mobile phones - isn't considered very healthy (they think this is one reason the bees are disappearing from the world!), but unfortunately we're bombarded by these signals everywhere now, even if we don't actually use those devices in our own homes.

By the way, regarding your original post, I find that a keyboard is better for typing rather than a touch screen. But for reading or browsing the internet a touchscreen can be nice. I've tried typing with a touchscreen keyboard and I personally find them a pain to use, especially as the keyboard on the screen tends to take up most of the screen itself. Apple/ Macbooks have a reputation for reliability but tend to be very expensive. Then again, laptops by other makers have become a lot more reliable than they used to be and you could probably get an HP with good performace for half of what a Macbook would cost (at least by UK prices).

Cindi

Hi Cindi, can you say a little more about what you mean by wireless modem? Most laptops operate by wifi (wireless connection to the internet). Wifi - like cordless phones and mobile phones - isn't considered very healthy (they think this is one reason the bees are disappearing from the world!), but unfortunately we're bombarded by these signals everywhere now, even if we don't actually use those devices in our own homes.

By the way, regarding your original post, I find that a keyboard is better for typing rather than a touch screen. But for reading or browsing the internet a touchscreen can be nice. I've tried typing with a touchscreen keyboard and I personally find them a pain to use, especially as the keyboard on the screen tends to take up most of the screen itself. Apple/ Macbooks have a reputation for reliability but tend to be very expensive. Then again, laptops by other makers have become a lot more reliable than they used to be and you could probably get an HP with good performace for half of what a Macbook would cost (at least by UK prices).
Thanks frank. Yes, i meant wifi :)

Hi Cindi. We were looking at laptops in a store today. I'm now exhausted and feeling a bit ill after spending two hours in there! But half the problem is the confusing amount of choice we have on the market. I heard one of the sales people talking to a customer and she was asking the customer what he wanted the computer for e.g. mainly surfing the internet, email, watching films etc. So that's something to consider. Every laptop in that store would allow you to do those basic things no problem. My partner was attracted to really nice looking, expensive laptops and Macbooks etc. In my case, having had many laptops over the years, the novelty has worn off and the reality of computers (i.e. that they become slow, break down and don't last a great deal of time) governs my buying choices, so I was looking at best value for money and I didn't really care how they looked. I saw a plasticky Acer there with a 14" screen for £149.99 which would have fit within my disability budget fairly well! MacBook Pros started at £899 by comparison - very nice looking things and no doubt a lot more reliable if you have the cash to spare. Hope you find what you're after. Feel free to ask any more questions.:thumbsup:

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
I use a ThinkPad laptop. The keyboard is very nice for typing. It also has a trackpoint that means I can keep my hands on the home row for typing, then just move my index finger a little to the trackpoint for mouse movement. It greatly reduces arm/hand movement that is usually required when moving between the keyboard for typing and a touch pad for pointer movement. It helps to save some physical energy and minimize discomfort for someone with rapid muscle fatigue. The trackpoint is also more convenient when using the laptop by resting it on my thighs while lying on my back.

Some people love the trackpoint, while others really dislike it. It takes some getting used to, and needs a fair trial to see if a person can get used to it.

PennyIA

I'm using a chrome book. As long as you don't need a DVD drive or a lot of storage (I use it for streaming and email and lots of web apps)... it's light and easy to work with. Trackpad instead of mouse for manuevering.

And it's not something you have to worry about viruses on.

If you're usually typing one-handed while laying on your side, it might be worthwhile to try out a one-handed Dvorak layout. Windows OS supports it, not sure about Chrome or Apple. Basically Dvorak puts the most used keys in the center under your fingers, with the least popular keys farthest away.

It can minimize the amount of movement needed, but might be difficult for your brain to switch over from typing with a normal QWERTY keyboard. Keys can usually be popped off of keyboards to rearrange them to a Dvorak layout, or special stickers can be purchased for 1-2 euros or dollars, to put over the keys instead.

I switched to two-handed Dvorak a couple years before I got sick. I was up to a fast typing speed again pretty quickly, but it's not really cognitively possible to be able to type well on both Dvorak and QWERTY at the same time. Learning one comes at the expense of losing the other.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
I'm glad Valentijn mentioned keyboard layouts. Two-handed Colemak is another option. I've been using it for almost a decade and like it very much, except for the placement of the left pinky finger for the 'a' which can be fatiguing. Otherwise it's similar to Dvorak with the most used keys on the home row. This makes typing more comfortable in general, but especially when on my back.