• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lipkin/Simmaron collaboration: your donation tripled if you give by 31 Dec: "3-5 yrs to solve CFS"

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Article today by Cort on the collaborative work being done between Dr Lipkin and the Simmaron Research Foundation (I hadn't realised that was going on).

Simmaron Research Foundation said:
Three to Five Years – An ME/CFS Timeline
How does all this relate to ME/CFS? Likpin cited the findings of their work to date.

• The suspected pathogens don’t appear to be the problem (the CII is reportedly looking further at herpesviruses.)
  • Evidence suggests altered microbiomes (gut flora) are present
  • Striking differences in immune expression between shorter and longer duration patients suggest profound immune changes have occurred
  • Preliminary evidence suggests that levels “X” and “Y” metabolites and, at least, one immune protein are significantly altered in ME/CFS. (Lipkin embargoed this information pending publication of the paper. One of them is a shocker.)
Lipkin emphasized, though, that ME/CFS is not a one-size fits all disease. For instance, it’s possible that fungi may be a problem for some patients. That’s an intriguing idea given the recent fungi funding in Alzheimer’s disease published in Nature.

Lipkin’s timeline for solving ME/CFS given enough resources – a mere three to five years.

Then Lipkin made his bold declaration “We’re going to solve this in three to five years”. It came with a significant proviso “provided the resources are made available” but indicated that he believes ME/CFS is a mystery that can be cracked fairly quickly. That sounds really fast, but Lipkin’s time-frame is not that far off from Ronald Davis’s 5-10 year time-frame (provided he gets the resources as well.) (or Dr. Montoya’s).

These eminent researchers believe that given the technology present today we could understand ME/CFS fairly quickly – if enough resources were brought to bear. Lipkin pointed to a slate of researchers in his lab working on ME/CFS to signify the major shift he’s seen happen in just the last couple of years. He said “I couldn’t have gotten them five years ago”.

He highlighted two places the patient community can make an impact:

• Funding Pilot Studies – The community can fund pilot studies which can be turned into big grants
  • Advocacy – Lipkin is a savvy researcher. He knows how the NIH works, and once again he emphasized the need for the ME/CFS community to push harder legislatively – to talk to their representatives in the House of Representatives, in particular – and get them to push the NIH for more funding.
[...]

Triple Your Support!

Between now and Dec 31 triple your support for Ian Lipkin’s work with the Simmaron Research Foundation (SRF). A generous donor is offering to match $2 for every $1 donated before Dec 31. The funds will support the SRF’s collaborations with Drs. Ian Lipkin and Mady Hornig at Columbia University.

https://donatenow.networkforgood.org/SimmaronResearch

Can't resist that one - I'll be donating to this today. :)

ghosalb

anyone knows what the match will be for monthly (A x 12 = B) vs one time (B) amount ? I don't see any way to indicate how many months for monthly option.

Last edited:

Sasha

Fine, thank you
anyone knows what the match will be for monthly (A x 12 = B) vs one time (B) amount ? I don't see any way to indicate how many months for monthly option.

I didn't see any indication that there is a matching donation available for monthly donations - to me it looks like the matching donor has only agreed to match what is given by Dec 31st, and I would assume that that doesn't apply to monthly donations (except maybe the first month if the first donation falls before Dec 31).

If you'd like to give monthly, why not give a one-off donation now and then set up your monthly donation later?

Or you could contact them and ask, here:

http://simmaronresearch.com/contact/

ghosalb

I am hoping that if one commits to donate X amount before 31st and then sends in 1/12 of X every month for next 12 months, this generous person will match with 2X instead of just for one month's donation. I have written to them (thanks Sasha for the contact info), let's see what happens.