• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Valtrex making me angry and depressed!

Clerner

I feel like crying every second of every day. Plus, I am so angry at everything. I feel it's the valtrex! I just started 5htp, 300mg/night about 2 weeks ago. I'm praying that this will help! Any advice or thoughts?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
It is a side effect of the medication. I had a horrible time. My anger was so out of control I was in a rage all the time, screaming at everyone. I stopped it and was fine

Serious Side Effects of Valtrex
Tell your doctor immediately if you develop any of these symptoms.

• Mental/mood changes (like agitation, confusion, or hallucinations)
  • Trouble speaking
  • Shaky or unsteady movements
  • Changes in the amount of urine
http://www.everydayhealth.com/drugs/valtrex

I have no problems with Famvir

Clerner

It is a side effect of the medication. I had a horrible time. My anger was so out of control I was in a rage all the time, screaming at everyone. I stopped it and was fine
Yes! I want to kill someone! Do you think famvir is just as effective for ebv? I wonder if 5htp or antidepressant could counteract this anger!

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I don't think anything will help with that anger. It doesn't matter if Famvir is as effective or not if you can't take Valtrex. Something is better than nothing.

Talk to your doctor.

Clerner

I don't think anything will help with that anger. It doesn't matter if Famvir is as effective or not if you can't take Valtrex. Something is better than nothing.
Well, I have seen good improvement on valtrex so I hate to give it up so quickly. Yes, I will be calling Dantini tomorrow. Thanks.

helen1

@Clerner
I seem to recall @Hip writing about the mood changes that can happen in the early days of taking antivirals and what can be done about it. Hopefully he can chime in here and give you some advice.

Hip

I seem to recall @Hip writing about the mood changes that can happen in the early days of taking antivirals and what can be done about it. Hopefully he can chime in here and give you some advice.

That was more due to immunomodulators like oxymatrine or inosine (and others), which I found always used to significantly worsen depression, so that I had to discontinue. Nowadays though I am not really affected by these immunomodulators, possibly because my ME/CFS has improved a bit over recent years.

xrayspex

does anyone have suggestions for acute painful mental effects from short course of valtrex? It really does make the glass look half empty, not only half empty but filled with toxic waste

Talk to your doctor.
Hello
What dosage of Famvir are you using?

Thanks

Yes I have the same response but sticking it out. I started taking St. John's wort which fixed this drastically. Careful with sjw as it can interfere with some medications. It can take 1 week for sjw to take effect.

darroo

valtrex made me depressed too and some orange lesions in my cheeks stopped taking it ... started famvir now then valcyte later on... famvir i think im liking it feel different a bit knock on wood