• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is my methylation analysis actionable? Suspected overtraining, overall inexplicable test results

Hello,

After prolonged (years), intense exercise (>5 times a week) I totally ran out of steam. I self-diagnosed overtraining. Following this, I've had some tests run on me, first triggered by low thrombocyte B and leukocyte counts.

I provide my Genetic Genie methylation analysis, based on 23and me data. I've tried to interpret the results based on multiple resources, but I am not sure what, if any, action to take based on it, so I turn to your expertise.

Here are your homozygous mutations as indicated in your SNP gene table above (not including MTHFR):
COMT V158M
COMT H62H
VDR Taq
MTR A2756G
MTRR A66G
BHMT-08
CBS C699T

Here are your heterozygous mutations as indicated in your SNP gene table above (not including MTHFR):
MTRR A664A
BHMT-02
AHCY-01
AHCY-19

(no MTHFR mutations cataloged up by Genetic Genie)

When last tested, I had high folate, b12 and ferritin levels (and somewhat elevated haptoglobin).

Any guidance or opinions is much appreciated!

barbc56

If you have high ferritin levels, this needs to be looked at. Preferably by a hematologist. My BIL has this and for now his ferritin levels are just being monitored. Ironically, he's also a hematologist but is not treating himself as he's seeing another hematologist for the high ferritin.

I have no idea what impact this has on your health.

Barb

caledonia

Based on those genetics and high B12 (assuming it was a serum B12 test), you could actually be deficient in B12.

The serum test shows what's in the blood, but not what's in the cells, which is where it counts.

It would also be good to look at your Detox profile from Genetic Genie and see if you have GSH (glutathione) mutations.

The overtraining could also have impacted your adrenals, causing adrenal fatigue.

See my signature link for more info and tips. My suggestion is to find a methylation doctor and not self treat.

barbc56

Methylation doctor? Isn't that an oxymoron?

AFAIK, there is no science behind the methylation theory. I'll try to keep an open mind if someone can show the scientific evidence behind this "theory".

It's dangerous to advise someone to play around with supplements when they have high ferritin. High ferritin is a real medical condition with medically proven treatments.

Self diagnosis is not the way to go.

Barb
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-promised-by-dna-testers-belied-by-regulators

http://www.thinkingautismguide.com/2010/07/autism-and-biomed-protocols-primer-on.html

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/dubious-mthfr-genetic-mutation-testing/

Last edited:

TheChosenOne

High ferritin is a real medical condition with medically proven treatments.
Depends how high his ferritin levels are. Maybe they are still within range.

If you have no MTHFR, I'd avoid methylfolate and try methylB12 and SAMe first.
Do you have depression/anxiety?

Thank you for replying. I appreciate it!

Adressing the questions: No depression. Am a pessimist ("by nature" .) but never feel depressed.

Ferritin levels are high, but still within ranges and have been controlled by a doctor.

I've been going through my methylation profile. I find it interesting that many of my variations "counter" the "red flags" set up by analytics from Genetic Genie. While I don't find this surprising, it just reminds me of how amazing evolution is in practice.

I understand the questionable applicability of methylation analysis. To me, this is information that I treat with curioisity, but I will not let it dictate my life.

Sometimes a condition warrents a doctor's visit. This may be one of those times.

But the decision is up to @mter

Barb
Your concern is appreciated! It is valid and I have adressed it (see my post above). Not exactly on my initial topic: I will try to bring my ferritin levels down by lowering consumption of liver and raw cacao, latter of which is incredibly hard, as raw cacao is my "candy" (I know many people find it unconsumable because of bitterness).

Ta for replying, I truly appreciate it! I somehwat combined my replies. But: I have no depression and I don't feel suspectible to such. Still, I am very pessimisti (or so people tell me). And my ferritin levels are high but they still fall within the control ranges - an issue that I will try to address.

BurnA

Ta for replying, I truly appreciate it! I somehwat combined my replies. But: I have no depression and I don't feel suspectible to such. Still, I am very pessimisti (or so people tell me). And my ferritin levels are high but they still fall within the control ranges - an issue that I will try to address.

The only symptom I see is that you ran out of steam. Have you tried rest ?