• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Preliminary news from Lipkin & co

Marky90

Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance
"Preliminary evidence suggests that levels “X” and “Y” metabolites and, at least, one immune protein are significantly altered in ME/CFS. (Lipkin embargoed this information pending publication of the paper. One of them is highly unusual.)"

- Then Lipkin made his bold declaration “We’re going to solve this in three to five years”, with a big proviso. Provided the resources are made available, he believes science can crack ME/CFS fairly quickly-

http://simmaronresearch.com/2015/12...ears-to-solve-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-mecfs/

I LIKE the sound of that preliminary evidence. Remember reading that Whitney Dafoe had some metabolite values waay off.

SB_1108

Also of importance for those with too much brain fog to read the article...

The suspected pathogens don’t appear to be the problem (the CII is reportedly looking further at herpesviruses.)

Lipkin emphasized, though, that ME/CFS is not a one-size fits all disease. For instance, it’s possible that fungi may be a problem for some patients. That’s an intriguing idea given the recent fungi funding in Alzheimer’s disease published in Nature.

Yogi

This is a very good article. Well Worth reading.

And remember you can triple your donation before end of year.

Triple Your Support! – Between now and Dec 31 triple your support for Ian Lipkin’s work with the Simmaron Research Foundation (SRF). A generous donor is offering to match $2 for every $1 donated before Dec 31. The funds will support the SRF’s collaborations with Drs. Ian Lipkin and Mady Hornig at Columbia University.

- See more at: http://simmaronresearch.com/2015/12...-fatigue-syndrome-mecfs/#sthash.pyPGSzfH.dpuf

SB_1108

Ok after re-reading this article several times, I have a couple of questions...

Maybe its too early to speculate but does this mean that Dr. Lipkin's microbe study has not found any pathogens? Or would the presence of fungi be a potential finding of his analysis?

Second, could someone please explain metabolites because "x and y metabolites" sound like such vague terminology to me?

BurnA

"Preliminary evidence suggests that levels “X” and “Y” metabolites and, at least, one immune protein are significantly altered in ME/CFS. (Lipkin embargoed this information pending publication of the paper. One of them is highly unusual.)"

- Then Lipkin made his bold declaration “We’re going to solve this in three to five years”, with a big proviso. Provided the resources are made available, he believes science can crack ME/CFS fairly quickly-

http://simmaronresearch.com/2015/12...ears-to-solve-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-mecfs/

I LIKE the sound of that preliminary evidence. Remember reading that Whitney Dafoe had some metabolite values waay off.

This is certainly a nice Christmas present. Let's hope they get all the funding they need.
It is amazing to have the likes of lipkin researching this, gives me hope.

A.B.

Second, could someone please explain metabolites because "x and y metabolites" sound like such vague terminology to me?

It's vague since the study hasn't been published yet. I think it just means that he has found evidence that some vital processes in the body are altered. This could be very uninteresting or very interesting depending on what is disturbed, how much, and in what percentage of patients.

Gijs

I like Professor Lipkin very much but i think he's a little too optimistic. ME/CFS will never being solved because it isn't one disease. The patiënts from Peterson (bloodsamples and spinal fluid used in his study) are from a specific subgroup and is not representative for all ME/CFS patiënts.

BurnA

I like Professor Lipkin very much but i think he's a little too optimistic. ME/CFS will never being solved because it isn't one disease. The patiënts from Peterson (bloodsamples and spinal fluid used in his study) are from a specific subgroup and is not representative for all ME/CFS patiënts.
Maybe you are a bit pessimistic ?
I think we need to give lipkin some credit here - I don't think any of us know exactly what he is doing but his track record speaks for itself. I am sure he is smart enough to know how to conduct an experiment without our advice.

Marky90

Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance
Maybe you are a bit pessimistic ?
I think we need to give lipkin some credit here - I don't think any of us know exactly what he is doing but his track record speaks for itself. I am sure he is smart enough to know how to conduct an experiment without our advice.

Gijis does have a point though, research is bound to be easier when we finally manage to break down the likely subgroups.. That being said - based on the Haukeland-studies, I think the "variant of an autoimmune disease"-group is pretty big.

BurnA

Gijis does have a point though, research is bound to be easier when we finally manage to break down the likely subgroups.. That being said - based on the Haukeland-studies, I think the "variant of an autoimmune disease"-group is pretty big.

Yes. I don't think ALL patients will ever fit the same profile but hopefully between the work in Haukeland and in Columbia University most patients will fit a profile. It seems there are several studies ongoing so even if one studty is using a certain patient group not all studies are using the same group so different sub groups can be identified.

Deltrus

I also think it is quite possible that ME/CFS is mostly one disease. I have very light CFS, with no viral symptoms. Yet, when I took a combination of antibiotics flagyl + bactrim, I experienced the extreme CFS that many people here suffer from from. I got bad viral activation and severe fatigue after exercise. Also, I got a very sudden running out of my energy after exercise, where normally it is only a "soft" barrier. I felt like after a certain point, I just HAD to lay down. Normally I feel like I have to lay down, but I can fight past it, I just feel very miserable. There was no fighting on those antibiotics.

Bob

...could someone please explain metabolites because "x and y metabolites" sound like such vague terminology to me?
Dr Lipkin is carrying out metabolomics and proteomics studies, as part of the overall research program. It's looks like he may have found something interesting in relation to unspecified metabolites and at least one immune protein, but cannot say more about it.

alex3619

I also think it is quite possible that ME/CFS is mostly one disease.
The evidence suggests, but does not prove, even ME is two different diseases. However there is another way to look at the evidence. Many diseases have multiple manifestations, and which way the disease manifests can be based on things from pure chance to genetics to comorbid conditions or the presence of specific pathogens.

CFS when strictly defined is similar.

CFS when loosely defined may be dozens or even hundreds of different diseases. Its a wastebasket diagnosis.

However its also possible that what really should be discussed is ME is at least two different types of disease with similar symptoms. For example, one type might be autoimmune, one might be EDS complications, and so on. There might be a wide range of EDS and autoimmune diseases that predispose or trigger ME. In time we will figure this out.