• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Feeling ill after eating

Hi, guys!

I always feel ill after eating (in 10-15 min). I start to feel like I have a flu or like I got an injection of poison. The intensity of symptoms depends on the food that I eat. When I eat dietary food like oil free meat, fish, cereal this feeling is not too strong. But when I eat any fatty food, drink coffee or soda these flu like symptoms are very very strong, and the same situation with taking any medication. At night when I don't eat I feel almost normal. Has anybody here the same problem? And what can be a cause? I know that my problem is in gut, when I take probiotics I feel better and this postprandial symptoms are not so severe. But I'm interested in a possible mechanism. Any thoughts?:) Thank you

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Could be candida, IBS, Food allergies and sensitivities to name a few. Do an elimination diet and figure out which one is causing the most problems and stop.

I can tell you with IBS, caffeine and fat are very bad for it. Sugars are bad for candida.

You have to figure out exactly what is causing the problems.

PDXhausted

Hiatal hernia, liver or gallbladder or pancreas problems, SIBO also come to mind. Actually IBD should also be considered... Crohn's can manifest anywhere in the digestive system and can cause inflammation that could feel flu-like.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Right now the path of least resistance for you is an elimination diet. Imo.

You say you know it's gut. You feel better after Probiotics. You know certain foods cause problems. That says a lot. I'd start there.

I have this EXACT same problem. I've been sick for 15 yrs and it was worse in the beginning. Every time I eat I have to excuse myself from everyone bc I feel so sick and usually depressed too. I doesn't matter what food I eat. I always just figured it was the blood going to my stomach instead of my brain which would then trigger these symptoms but I don't know for sure??? If you ever find out what it is please let me know.

kangaSue

Hi, guys!

I always feel ill after eating (in 10-15 min). I start to feel like I have a flu or like I got an injection of poison. The intensity of symptoms depends on the food that I eat. When I eat dietary food like oil free meat, fish, cereal this feeling is not too strong. But when I eat any fatty food, drink coffee or soda these flu like symptoms are very very strong, and the same situation with taking any medication. At night when I don't eat I feel almost normal. Has anybody here the same problem? And what can be a cause? I know that my problem is in gut, when I take probiotics I feel better and this postprandial symptoms are not so severe. But I'm interested in a possible mechanism. Any thoughts?:) Thank you
Gastroparesis also fits the picture. Basically the spontaneous movement of the muscles (motility) in your stomach does not function normally, symptoms can include early satiety, complete loss of appetite, abdominal bloating, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, constipation or diarrhea, heartburn or gastroesophageal reflux, malnutrition from malabsorption.

Gastroparesis has several etiologies which can encompass abnormalities at 3 levels--autonomic nervous system, smooth muscle cells, and enteric neurons so it's not a case of one size fits all.

Fats and fibre make things worse for most people with this so trial a low fat, low fibre diet and have smaller meals more frequently if you can.

taniaaust1

when you say "fatty foods" I wonder if you are refering to like takeaway kind of foods which are usually high carb. I have hyperinsulinemia and I can get a reaction a short time after eating due to this (the carbs) including like a hit to my immune system (it can actually also give me a sore throat). Fish (non crumbed) and other diet foods which have less sugar and less carbs will cause less of issues if you have carb problems. If hyperinsulinemia is your issue, a 2hr glucose intollerance test but one with the insulin levels included can pick up this.

Food intolerances also can cause quite fast reactions, many of us are intollerent to caffeine.

Hi Ekaterina. I have similar problems. In the absence of any explanation, I've been assuming it falls under the umbrella term 'stress' i.e. the burden of digestion upon exhausted organs. Of course it could be anything - leaky gut, IBS, food intolerances, etc. Heavy meals seem to cause me the most problems, or eating when I'm particularly tired. Then it's brain fog, increased fatigue, and sometimes neck stiffness, migraines etc. Interestingly, a strong cup of coffee, has on occasion, cured these early symptoms. On one occasion this happened within five minutes! Be well.

Hi, guys!

i hope this can help.. i have been feeling weird before but not as ill as you described.. always after eating i feel very weak and sleepy... i started to change my diet.. and every after meal i consume fruits and veggies.. even single serving will do...i go from papaya, or any other fibrous fruits.. i prefer papaya because it is easily found in our vicinity..it helped me a lot..go for products which are all natural....which contains fennel, wormwood, aloe and cardamom :)

Hi, guys!

Did u find your cause?
I have same symptoms. Feeling poisoned in blood after meals.
Also the symptoms are more intense when taking medicine or carbs.
I feel that bacterial byproducts and toxins cross our gut barrier and poison us.
Im 100% sure thats the cause. A sick gut produces many toxins. And its absorbed with the foods into the gut walls. I feel like shit. Headaches, palpitations, itching, burning all over the body, fatigue, dizziness, and much more symptoms like tinnitus.
Did u find the cause? Parasites? Candida? Low stomach acid also,creates sibo wich i also have.

Hi I have the same problem - since I got me I feel Ill after every time I eat - sometimes it is so bad I feel literally poisoned like I have it running through my body and just want to curl up and die - my body aches too between my bones and all I can do is sleep it off . Other times it’s not so bad and I just feel utterly exhausted and a bit strange but it’s always after food - I have linked it to some foods but can’t slways find the issue but gluten and yeast are no no’s and walnuts are really bad for me.

Wolfcub

I also sometimes feel unwell after eating. Maybe not straight away but usually after 30 minutes to one hour.
I get no pain or bloating at all but a terrible inner trembling/shakiness, restlessness, air-hunger and faster heartbeat, and as if suddenly I am so weak and weak in the legs too. This is all followed by a strange sad feeling (not because of sad thoughts but almost as a reflex.)
I cannot connect it with any particular foods I eat.

No GI symptoms come with it like having to go to the bathroom, gas, abdominal discomfort etc.

Not really like "dumping syndrome" either.

But dumping syndrome might be something you want to check out?

With me, it all usually passes in 30 minutes. But I then feel quite tired until the food has converted to energy later.
Although I am not very alcohol-tolerant, often a teaspoon of brandy helps these sudden symptoms. I have found eating some small sweet thing helps too, like a spoon of honey or piece of chocolate. Even though the last thing I usually want at that stage is anything to eat!

With myself it feels like a drastic energy slump. A really dreadful energy slump.
Not anything like post-prandial sleepiness. I wish it was. The symptoms are quite scary and not sleep-inducing!

I have found it happens more, the more hungry I am before I eat.

It's a mystery as my doctor has found no blood sugar disturbances or anything even remotely like diabetes.

It feels completely tied to energy, as if all available energy has gone to deal with the food.

when you say "fatty foods" I wonder if you are refering to like takeaway kind of foods which are usually high carb. I have hyperinsulinemia and I can get a reaction a short time after eating due to this (the carbs) including like a hit to my immune system (it can actually also give me a sore throat). Fish (non crumbed) and other diet foods which have less sugar and less carbs will cause less of issues if you have carb problems. If hyperinsulinemia is your issue, a 2hr glucose intollerance test but one with the insulin levels included can pick up this.

Food intolerances also can cause quite fast reactions, many of us are intollerent to caffeine.
Can you tell me more about caffeine intolerance. How did you notice it was this substance ? I am interested by these explanations. I like to drink coffee.
I wish you energy and hope.

Hi, guys!

Have you ever had an endoscopy? I have had this issue for decades and it is due to chronic gastritis. The cause is unknown, but h pylori was ruled out, so I think there is either another infection present or it is autoimmune and due to CFS. Fatty food causes the stomach to empty more slowly which can exacerbate the symptoms. Coffee and soda are acidic. You'll have to do trial and error to find the foods that are safe in that they don't irritate your stomach, but I strongly recommend an endoscopy if you haven't had one. Recently I had another endoscope and now I have duodenitis, too. Stomach and duodenum full of polyps.

One more thing. Every ACIDIC food triggers my symptoms, hot spices, ALL cultured foods, some B-vitamins.
Chocolate/cocoa is also acidic. Citrus fruits are acidic as are many other fruits. Recently I've been looking at LACTIC acid, which is present in so many foods (not just dairy) as being a significant acid. In addition to the stomach damage, all these foods trigger rosacea swelling and the worst burning nerve pain -- bladder, cervix, urethra, pelvis. It's all tied together. When I am very strict and avoid all triggers, ALL pain goes away and my rosacea begins to resolve and skin heals. The problem is that once I eliminate all the trigger foods, there's hardly anything left to eat and it gets exceedingly boring. (I am also IgE allergic to baker's years (saccharomyces strains of yeast), dairy is highly constipating (probably sensitive to the milk proteins), and I am gluten intolerant. And all MSG derivatives are a trigger for migraine. I know what I need to do and that is be very strict and eat only chicken and rice and vegetables for 3 months to allow everything to resolve and hopefully heal. It's just so difficult ... Oh, and something I forgot, anything that contains a bacteria (all cultured foods already mentioned, cheese is a big one) causes me to feel more nauseated and I break out in little bright red pimples. I've tested this repeatedly throughout the years and it is definitely bacteria leaking from gut to blood and being carried to skin ... oh, and my gastroenterologist has been no help at all.

One more thing. Every ACIDIC food triggers my symptoms, hot spices, ALL cultured foods, some B-vitamins.
Chocolate/cocoa is also acidic. Citrus fruits are acidic as are many other fruits. Recently I've been looking at LACTIC acid, which is present in so many foods (not just dairy) as being a significant acid. In addition to the stomach damage, all these foods trigger rosacea swelling and the worst burning nerve pain -- bladder, cervix, urethra, pelvis. It's all tied together. When I am very strict and avoid all triggers, ALL pain goes away and my rosacea begins to resolve and skin heals. The problem is that once I eliminate all the trigger foods, there's hardly anything left to eat and it gets exceedingly boring. (I am also IgE allergic to baker's years (saccharomyces strains of yeast), dairy is highly constipating (probably sensitive to the milk proteins), and I am gluten intolerant. And all MSG derivatives are a trigger for migraine. I know what I need to do and that is be very strict and eat only chicken and rice and vegetables for 3 months to allow everything to resolve and hopefully heal. It's just so difficult ... Oh, and something I forgot, anything that contains a bacteria (all cultured foods already mentioned, cheese is a big one) causes me to feel more nauseated and I break out in little bright red pimples. I've tested this repeatedly throughout the years and it is definitely bacteria leaking from gut to blood and being carried to skin ... oh, and my gastroenterologist has been no help at all.

I haven't tried anything super acidic since that thing you described with it with me got far worse months after my PFS (post finasteride syndrome) crash over the summer which I believe screwed my guts over even further allowing some kind of bad bacteria or other pathogen overgrowth to occur Same with the MSG and derivatives or probiotics too. I was actually for a while even sensitive to chicken but I managed to resolve that somehow with whatever I did in the past few months that I can't specifically pin the improvement too. My gastro has also been useless. I even lost b12 when it got severe that I need to supplement.

I managed to get the b12 and some food tolerance back with k2 100 mcg every morning, I don't know why but that worked and I added my 1000 mcg of methyl-b12 back (considering upping this to 2000 mcg but not trying it right now). I was still having the nightly and food induced nervous system burn downs though. So I scrambled around more found propolis, this helped thing significantly (using the NOW brand capsules). I tried supplementing potassium for sometime but couldn't handle it in my guts even though it did improe things overall somewhat.

Now for recently with my Lyme diagnosis and what I started. I first tried adding cistus incanus and this triggered a completely immune meltdown with the burning eyes and somewhat burning face (forehead and cheeks) thing but it went away rather quickly and the burning eyes seem to flare first. I decided after that to try Osha Root and it completely eradicated this nonsense but at the same time on it I was very tired and achy. Entire nervous system overall felt better though and I kept on that for 5 days. Then I after that had a few doses of gumweed tea this also gave me more progress right off the bat but made me extremely fatigued. I had enough of that so I replaced it with cistus again as I wanted to see what would happen. Now I have less of a reaction to that and it gives me a little more energy but also gives me more mucus (I'm currently getting over being with a flu like this from that first dose I had almost a week ago, now I believe this is actually a good sign) and I noticed overall my nervous system was much more sensitive today in a good way. It does also like all these other herbals make me a bit bloated though and kinda dries my mouth out so I don't plan on being on this forever. I'll probably use the cistus in cycles now but I'm gonna need to play this one out by ear from here on out. Wish I knew exactly what was going on here but I appear to be doing something right.

Hi Dysfunkion,

I just saw your message come in.

I am sensitive to nearly everything I have tried to take to heal my issues, including herbs of all kinds.
Sometimes the side-effects aren't visible right away.

Recently I was using marshmallow root to try to heal my gastritis.
Over time I started to get nosebleeds easily, then soon they turned into daily nosebleeds and really bad ones. When I got the last one, I had to go to a walk-in clinic as it kept coming back every hour and I couldn't get it to stop completely. The doctor didn't know what was causing it, and I had forgotten about the marshmallow root. I went home and looked up marshmallow root online, and like so many herbs, it can thin the blood and cause bleeding problems! Nosebleeds were listed as a side effect. I stopped it and have not had another nosebleed since then.

It's frustrating that everything I try to do to fix one thing, causes yet another problem.
I never had any of this before I got sick about 25 years ago.

So, be careful.