• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Muscle cramps with Trazodone

Hi folks, just wondering if anyone has experienced calf muscle cramps on waking, or chest tightness, or spinal tension whilst on Trazodone.

I started 50mg per night two months ago for sleep (also waking in the middle of the night with very low mood). Very positive lift in mood for first 5 days (I remembered what feeling 'normal' was!) then no effect on mood, so I assumed the improved sleep helped me feel better emotionally. The 50mg helped me sleep but the effect began to wear off so I went up to 100mg. Within a week I had chest tightness/ pain. Came off it, did a treadmill ECG and heart was fine. Went back on 50mg. Calf muscle cramping every morning after sleeping, very mild chest tightness over heart area, moderate thoracic spine tightness as if my vertebrae are locked up in that area of the spine, with some mild soreness. GP doesn't seem to be too interested. It feels like he maybe doesn't believe that such a small dose could cause such side effects, particularly since the ECG was clear.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I have taken it for years with no problems.

I do know there are certain generics I cannot take. Not only do they not work but I have a very bad reaction to Pliva and Teva. I think some ifnthe filleted Apotex is fine for me. I think Qualitest is ok. Also major.

If that is the generic you have Id try to get a different one.

I never use the same sleep med more than 2 nights in a row or I develop tolerance. That sounds like your problem. Alternate nights.

You do know you have to taper when you stop taking this? You shouldn't cold turkey

Thanks MG. Yes, I tapered off it the first time. Tried taking it alternate nights too, but it means I just don't sleep on the night I don't take it. Brand is Molipaxin by Zentiva.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@Frank1918 please put an @ in front of my name or I won't know you replied

Try a diffenet generic? I have about 10 plus sleep things next to my bed. Sleep initiator, sleep sustainers. Some rx, some otc. I wake about 4 things just to get to sleep. I always wake around 2-4 am

And I switch the combo around every night to avoid tolerance. It's nich better than depending on just one thing.

Example. Ambien, doxepin, kava, otc antihistamine, Passion flower, theanine, trazodine oxazepam, forget what else. Oh seroquel. Low doses of all.

@Frank1918 re Remeron: I'm on my 2nd "life's experience" with it. First time ~20years ago, I gained 30 pounds in 6weeks... had to quit it. Recently, needed to gain weight from this major health downturn that hit me for the past 3years, so I'm trying it again. 1)I believe it has damaged my kidneys a bit at 15 mg or if my kidneys were already damaged , it has worsened the problem. So caution is needed. 2)I have found that with 3mg LDN, with 1/4 of the 15 mg Remeron, +a 1mg Clonapin initiator, I've been doing some great sleeps. After taking the mixture, it requires about an hour to finally go to sleep, but well worth the wait.

re Trazodone: I think it sucks bilge water at any dose; but if somebody is taking it no matter what, it does need an initiator (in my case).

ps these supplements are good before sleep, prior to the Rx's.
L-Tryptophan, L-Theanine, 5HTP, GABA, 6mg melatonin, Ashwaganda, passion flower, holy basil, lemon balm, valerian root, hops, chamomile, zinc, magnesium, and want to try Cannabis indica oil. Mix & choose among these supps to avoid tolerance.

Best wishes for success.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Many drugs that effect histamine and certain serotonin receptors have dopamine lowering effects. I think this maybe why some of us can get stiff and sore muscles from using these substances for sleep etc.

Although this doesn't effect me as much anymore , what i found helpful was trying to boost dopamine with things like tyrosine and or dopa macuna . I would take these in the morning when my calves would be very tight and my back muscles sore. I found this helped to ease this tightness and pain and reduce hangover from these meds.

Something worth considering ? ?

Cheers MG. I wake 2-4 usually too. I'm usually a fan of natural remedies, but years of insomnia and there are times when I'd take a muzzle to the right temple just for a few hours shut eye. Speaking of which, isn't Ambien the one that makes army vets go on spree killings?

I have some stand-by Temazepam and Zopiclone in short supply. They tend to work well with melatonin, but I only get 12 every two months! May try L-Triptophan if I decide to stop the Trazodone.

Many drugs that effect histamine and certain serotonin receptors have dopamine lowering effects. I think this maybe why some of us can get stiff and sore muscles from using these substances for sleep etc.

Although this doesn't effect me as much anymore , what i found helpful was trying to boost dopamine with things like tyrosine and or dopa macuna . I would take these in the morning when my calves would be very tight and my back muscles sore. I found this helped to ease this tightness and pain and reduce hangover from these meds.

Something worth considering ? ?

Thanks mate. Yes, I mentioned dopamine agonists to the Dr. as many of my symptoms seem to suggest dopamine deficiency. It's still a possibility. For now I'm experimenting with cutting the Trazodone to try to get an optimal dose for sleep with as few side effects as possible. Problem is it comes in capsules, so I dissolve the powder from the cap in a glass of water and then drink half or three quarters accordingly. That would be roughly 25-35mg, which I'm told is a piddling amount. But even that amount seems to have quite a bit effects on me.

@Frank1918 re Remeron: I'm on my 2nd "life's experience" with it. First time ~20years ago, I gained 30 pounds in 6weeks... had to quit it. Recently, needed to gain weight from this major health downturn that hit me for the past 3years, so I'm trying it again. 1)I believe it has damaged my kidneys a bit at 15 mg or if my kidneys were already damaged , it has worsened the problem. So caution is needed. 2)I have found that with 3mg LDN, with 1/4 of the 15 mg Remeron, +a 1mg Clonapin initiator, I've been doing some great sleeps. After taking the mixture, it requires about an hour to finally go to sleep, but well worth the wait.

re Trazodone: I think it sucks bilge water at any dose; but if somebody is taking it no matter what, it does need an initiator (in my case).

ps these supplements are good before sleep, prior to the Rx's.
L-Tryptophan, L-Theanine, 5HTP, GABA, 6mg melatonin, Ashwaganda, passion flower, holy basil, lemon balm, valerian root, hops, chamomile, zinc, magnesium, and want to try Cannabis indica oil. Mix & choose among these supps to avoid tolerance.

Best wishes for success.

Thanks 5150. I can't get LDN here sadly. I have a feeling it would really help me too. I'll look into Remeron. As for other remedies, I've spent a fortune over the years and am loathed to spend even more. 5HTP didn't seem to work for me, so I got some L-Triptophan, which allegedly works better and doesn't stop working like 5HTP eventually. I get 2mg melatonin off the doc. Ashwagandha is good, lemon balm tea, valerian and zinc. I spray magnesium chloride on my skin at night. Sadly getting cannabis oil is a little tricky for me, plus there's the cost. Haven't tried GABA or L-Theanine yet.