• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Buhner Healing Lyme 2nd edition

Martial

179763_10208017604537980_3538719722869526482_n.jpg

I recently had the honor of recieving an advanced copy of Stephen Buhner's book Healing Lyme (2nd edition). I just wanted to make a post about the book and let people know about his new work. It is extremely thorough with his research and suggestions. It is probably one of the most comprehensive pieces of work I have ever read about Lyme disease and treatment. I have had a very hard time finding specific information, or scientific studies for certain plant species before, but Stephen's work allieveted this issue and his new book has been probably the biggest assest I could have used in my initial days of illness. Anyways I do not mean to solicite anything, I just want people to know if they want to go the Herbal route of treating Lyme disease this is definitely a must read!

P.S. there are a couple things I would be careful about what he mentions in the book. One being the use of high doses of b6 which can be neuro toxic, of which I am emailing him about, the other about the use of gabapentin, though usually shown as a non toxic drug and with little adverse affect, it does have effect on building new neural pathways in the brain during long term use of the drug.

P.P.S. sorry about the image scale size, not sure how to shrink it.

Happy Holidays and all the best everyone!

Todd

Last edited:

Dufresne

almost there...
Does Buhner address the treatment of cellular forms of borrelia? I don't think he's really dealt with this in the past, and I suspect it may be key to successfully treating ME/CFS sufferers with Lyme.

Martial

Does Buhner address the treatment of cellular forms of borrelia? I don't think he's really dealt with this in the past, and I suspect it may be key to successfully treating ME/CFS sufferers with Lyme.

Yes he talks about this, along with bio films and cysts in the book. Though most the herbs that have always been used in the protocol. Have always been able to cross those barriers, from my understanding.

Thinktank

I read the first edition about a month ago and really liked it.
Is the second edition available for kindle?

Martial

I read the first edition about a month ago and really liked it.
Is the second edition available for kindle?

He has made online versions I believe. I can't seem to find the links though. Here is a link for the copy I recieved so you have the right title and info to search.

http://www.amazon.com/Healing-Lyme-..._lf_m_tnvqbgyjeuf65m7_1_3_ttl?ie=UTF8&s=books

Online version should be out soon, if not already. I just don't know if it's an e book that you recieve a link for, or an actual kindle title though the latter would be much more practical.

Dufresne

almost there...
@Martial

What's Buhner recommending for herx relief these days (anti-inflammatories)? I know about Japanese Knotweed. Are there any others?

I've recently figured out how to hit intracellular borrelia and the herx is far worse than that with extracellular forms (pretty sure about this). Extracellular die-off is a bit uncomfortable, that's it. Intracellular die-off lowers my PEM threshold and makes me depressed. It's also causing my heart to start to hiccuping again.

Martial

@Martial

What's Buhner recommending for herx relief these days (anti-inflammatories)? I know about Japanese Knotweed. Are there any others?

I've recently figured out how to hit intracellular borrelia and the herx is far worse than that with extracellular forms (pretty sure about this). Extracellular die-off is a bit uncomfortable, that's it. Intracellular die-off lowers my PEM threshold and makes me depressed. It's also causing my heart to start to hiccuping again.

He actually has quite a few things he suggests, each herb being dependent on different systems such as cats claw vine and claw for brain inflammation/herx, chinese knotweed, sinega root I think. It goes heavily into detail with his book and there are quite a few different things, but I don't have it on me at the moment. I could send you a PM tomorrow when I am home and have the book.

Dufresne

almost there...
I just picked up four of Buhner's books from Amazon for about $15 a piece. Although I've serious reading limitations, I still can't help but be blown away by the amount of work this guy has put into informing and helping the sufferer. He's definitely not your typical tree-hugger; his approach is very rational and science-based. I really wasn't expecting this. I've not come across a single better resource for someone wanting to educate themselves about the science and treatment of borrelia and co-infections.

sarah darwins

I just picked up four of Buhner's books from Amazon for about $15 a piece. Although I've serious reading limitations, I still can't help but be blown away by the amount of work this guy has put into informing and helping the sufferer. He's definitely not your typical tree-hugger; his approach is very rational and science-based. I really wasn't expecting this. I've not come across a single better resource for someone wanting to educate themselves about the science and treatment of borrelia and co-infections.

I've only read the first edition, Dufresne, but I had the same reaction. Quite unexpected. In particular I loved his account of the life cycles of ticks and spirochetes — so many questions answered in a very readable way. I was left with a grudging admiration for both ticks and borrelia!

It's a great book.

helen1

I read his second edition lyme book recently too and was extremely impressed. I got it for the 3 detailed chapters on one of the common coinfections, chlamydia pneumonia. A lot of very helpful details and protocol which I'm now on.

My daughter was on the Cowden protocol for a year and is now taking Buhner's herbs. I was happy that the herbs are easy to get in Canada.

When I first found this forum I was very scared and alone and felt like my daughter was dying in front of me. The doctor said post viral fatigue syndrome, another said they didn't know, and another threw her chart on the desk and said too many symptoms.

Martial, I believe it was you who said that it sounded like Lyme. I sent her blood to Igenex and she had so many bands. She was positive. I thank you and this forum for giving me direction.

She is doing much better but is still very sick. We remain positive. The Buhner book is an excellent resource.

@Bessie

Does your daughter have ME/CFS (PEM)? This tends to make things more difficult?
Is she on the total Buhner core Lyme protocol?
Did you do any testing for co-infections?
I have her almost on the total Buhner protocol. She is starting out slowly but seems to be doing alright with the herbs.

I have only had her tested through IgeneX for Lyme. I ordered the kit and was able to convince a doctor at a walk in clinic to sign the form. He was hesitant to sign the forms, but I told him that I was paying for the test, so he did sign.

We found out last summer that she had many bands that indicated Lyme. We didn't test for coinfections, and really don't know what she has completely.

She has had so many symptoms. At one point sitting up in bed was difficult. She couldn't take light, sound, or read. She was in a lot of pain, especially in her stomach. Her body did many strange things.

I really don't know if she has ME/CFS. She sleeps till noon and can go for an hour walk most days. She can't work and has to watch what she eats and does. Most of her time is spent at home reading, watching TV, and looking after herself.

Over Christmas we took her into the hospital as her blood pressure went very low. She has had heart palpitations and a racing heart. It has been scary but we try to remain positive.

In April she has an appointment with a LLND. We are looking forward to it. She has yet to see a doctor who knows how to treat.

Mel9

V
I have her almost on the total Buhner protocol. She is starting out slowly but seems to be doing alright with the herbs.

I have only had her tested through IgeneX for Lyme. I ordered the kit and was able to convince a doctor at a walk in clinic to sign the form. He was hesitant to sign the forms, but I told him that I was paying for the test, so he did sign.

We found out last summer that she had many bands that indicated Lyme. We didn't test for coinfections, and really don't know what she has completely.

She has had so many symptoms. At one point sitting up in bed was difficult. She couldn't take light, sound, or read. She was in a lot of pain, especially in her stomach. Her body did many strange things.

I really don't know if she has ME/CFS. She sleeps till noon and can go for an hour walk most days. She can't work and has to watch what she eats and does. Most of her time is spent at home reading, watching TV, and looking after herself.

Over Christmas we took her into the hospital as her blood pressure went very low. She has had heart palpitations and a racing heart. It has been scary but we try to remain positive.

In April she has an appointment with a LLND. We are looking forward to it. She has yet to see a doctor who knows how to treat.

Very sorry about your daughter
I hope the LLND helps