• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Treatment for Bacteroids

trickthefox

Hi forum!
I'm posting a lot recently but just trying to figure out the best routes to take based on other people experience
My test results indicated that I have a much to high level of Bacteroides in my gut - making up something like 45% of my flora when its meant to be lower than 10%. Has anyone else had levels like this and successfully managed to get them down with targeted antibiotics or anti-microbals? and if so which ones did the job? i have tried rifaximin with no luck, and KDM wants to put me on clindamycin in a pulsed one week a month manner. From everything I've read bacteroides are rather hard to treat so it would be great to hear from someone with knowledge of how to treat these buggers. KDM thinks that it is due to these high levels that I have such extreme food sensitivities, and that by correcting this my symptoms may improve

ahmo

I don't know whether bacteroids respond the same as other bacteria. I compiled my findings for using natural antibacterials in a blog post here. It includes links to further info. Good luck.

Thomas

KDM wants to put me on clindamycin in a pulsed one week a month manner. From everything I've read bacteroides are rather hard to treat so it would be great to hear from someone with knowledge of how to treat these buggers. KDM thinks that it is due to these high levels that I have such extreme food sensitivities, and that by correcting this my symptoms may improve
What are your food sensitivity symptoms if you don't mind me asking, and did you have any gut problems or IBS before getting ME? I also failed on Rifaximin and am considering the same Abx you mentioned.

Billt

We have tried both of these r/x's with no luck.. My son has tired them 3 times with no success. We are now looking into alternative ( natural ) treatment. Hope you find something that works for you..

trickthefox

What are your food sensitivity symptoms if you don't mind me asking, and did you have any gut problems or IBS before getting ME? I also failed on Rifaximin and am considering the same Abx you mentioned.
Constant dull pain in the stomach, and if i eat anything other than my extremely restricted diet, i get intense brainfog/anxiety/fatigue/puffy face/short breath/racing heart/sound and light sensitivity, about 10 minutes after that that gradually increases in intensity which can last anywhere up to 3 days