• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Geographic tongue

hey everyone. I have been lurking for a while, too shy to post. Forgive me if this has already been asked.

I have been diagnosed with me/Cfs. During my last crash (about two months ago) I developed geographic tongue. It literally has not gone away since.

Does anyone know if this is related or is it pure coincidence. My dentist said it was an autoimmune thing.

Thanks for reading!

I always develop geographic tongue when I have hyperacidity of the stomach. It's not always an autoimmune thing, it may be related with digestive system.

Strawberry

@loakley001 Welcome, and please don't be shy any more!

I also have this, and have had it since my onset over 20 years ago. I have never had a dentist that would say it might be related, but I am certain it is. Interesting that your dentist feels it is autoimmune.

There have been threads about this in the past, but I don't remember anything specific ever being said. But I know there are others here that have it too. I just met with Dr Kaufman of the Open Medicine Institute on Monday, I will ask him about this when I get my results back. i do think this needs to be researched.

Was just going to click post when I was notified of a new post. Mine definitely isn't related to my stomach, I only get this during crashes. But we are all different!

SB_1108

I also have it and mine began at the onset of ME/CFS. My dentist said "its nothing to worry about" but I find it correlates to my intestinal pain.

@loakley001 Welcome, and please don't be shy any more!

I also have this, and have had it since my onset over 20 years ago. I have never had a dentist that would say it might be related, but I am certain it is. Interesting that your dentist feels it is autoimmune.

There have been threads about this in the past, but I don't remember anything specific ever being said. But I know there are others here that have it too. I just met with Dr Kaufman of the Open Medicine Institute on Monday, I will ask him about this when I get my results back. i do think this needs to be researched.

Was just going to click post when I was notified of a new post. Mine definitely isn't related to my stomach, I only get this during crashes. But we are all different!

Yeah. My dentist doesn't know if it's related. But he said it was an autoimmune disorder that is benign.

It just seemed too coincidental that I had a major crash, and this just appeared at the same time. :)

I also have it and mine began at the onset of ME/CFS. My dentist said "its nothing to worry about" but I find it correlates to my intestinal pain.

When people refer to intestinal pain--does that mean severe gas pains? I only ask, because I have been experiencing that recently, and could not figure out where it was coming from, since I am on such a strict diet...

Hip

I developed geographic tongue within a matter of days of catching the virus that would later trigger my ME/CFS, anhedonia and anxiety disorder symptoms. This white tongue coating never went away, and I have had it for 12 years now.

Geographic tongue is not considered a medically relevant issue, because it does not lead to any disease, nor cause any problems apart from its appearance. However, I found it very curious that it should appear out of the blue during a viral infection and then never disappear.

There is not a great deal of research into the cause of geographic tongue. One theory is that geographic tongue is simply an oral version of psoriasis (which is an autoimmune disease).

I noticed that when I was talking the herb pau d'arco, my geographic tongue improved. It turns out that pau d'arco is a good psoriasis treatment, so that ties in.

Last edited:
I developed geographic tongue within a matter of days of catching the virus that would later trigger my ME/CFS, anhedonia and anxiety disorder symptoms. This white tongue coating never went away, and I have had it for 12 years now.

Geographic tongue is not considered a medically relevant issue, because it does not lead to any disease, nor cause any problems apart from its appearance. However, I found it very curious that it should appear out of the blue during a viral infection and then never disappear.

There is not a great deal of research into the cause of geographic tongue. One theory is that geographic tongue is simply an oral version of psoriasis (which is an autoimmune disease).

I noticed that when I was talking the herb pau d'arco, my geographic tongue improved. It turns out that pau d'arco is a good psoriasis treatment, so that ties in.

Yeah. I have heard that same theory. I too find it curious that it appeared at the same time. For me, it's a bit of a hassle because it actually hurts. But, compared to the other symptoms of ME, it's easy to deal with!

Seven7

Seven
When people refer to intestinal pain--does that mean severe gas pains? I only ask, because I have been experiencing that recently, and could not figure out where it was coming from, since I am on such a strict diet...
Try peppermint tea+star anise+ anise seed +Ginger tea or the thing they give babies for gas, see if that breaks the gas and if it helps. I don't feel gassy just get pain but this fixes it.

Hello Oakley,

Psoriasis causes geographic tongue. It doesn't often affect the mucous membranes but it can and it does.

I had that problem a long, long time ago - the first of many different kinds of episodes of psoriasis problems I've had.

If I had geographic tongue today, I'd try first dosing with Vitamin D3 by breaking open the capsule and then spreading and holding its contents all over my tongue as long as possible before swallowing. I'd also try to get more sunlight in general, and I'd be sure to take extra vitamin D capsules once the geographic tongue clears. You're a little bit up a creek if bright sunlight gives you a bad headache - my problem - but do the best you can in the late afternoons to get as much direct sunlight as you can.

Not having sufficient Vitamin D can also cause depression problems and all kinds of health problems. You don't want to overdose, but taking at least 400 mcg each day probably doesn't overdose anyone. Ideally you ought to have that level tested and go from there, until you are in the upper ranges of normal.

Best wishes, Mary

erin

I find olive leaf tea helps to relieve gas, cramps and the geographic tongue. Actually I highly recommend the olive leaf tea for inflammation in general. It is best if you know someone who has an olive tree, that you know the source as freshness of the leaves matter. Older trees has a better healing properties. Dried leaves are ok, but fresh ones are better.

I noticed that when I was talking the herb pau d'arco, my geographic tongue improved. It turns out that pau d'arco is a good psoriasis treatment, so that ties in.[/QUOTE]

@Hip did you make this as a tea and for how long did you stay on it? I've read great things about it and am looking into it for it's anti-pathogenic and potential decalcifying properties.
Thanks Mark