• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What are your experiences with HBOT?

helen1

Am considering hyperbaric oxygen therapy and wondering how people have fared with that. And whether you had positive or negative experiences, how do you explain those results?
Thanks.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
Hi @helen1

I did a series of 12 HBOT treatments when living in Vancouver at a naturopath office.
It did nothing for me one way or the other. At the time I was still able to get out but was moderately affected by ME.

TigerLilea

There's not enough money in the world to get me into one of those. I was seeing a ND in Metro Vancouver who was more interested in getting me to do HBOT than she was in trying to find out why I had CFS. :(

Martial

Honestly they are ridiculously over priced and don't seem to yield much benefit for the cost. I looked into it pretty intensely before, my LLMD has the machine at his office as well. It is not covered by insurance though and it was 3 thousand for like 10 or 12 sessions. That to me is WAY more then I can or am willing to afford, broke or not haha!

presently_distant

Everywhere and Nowhere
There's a chiropractor near me that does HBOT for $50 a session (not sure if he uses medical grade oxygen, though...). I tried it about a couple months ago and had a really weird reaction to it.

While inside the chamber I felt comfortable (I'm not the claustrophobic type), yet when the oxygen and pressure turned on I gradually felt like I was being "suffocated" by the oxygen...really weird feeling. About 10-15 minutes after I started it, I tapped out and for the next few days had what felt like a detox reaction...foggy vision, cognitive issues, etc. I never really had the desire to try it again.

helen1

Yes, about 3 weeks worth, 5 days a week. I don't think they made a difference at least symptoms-wise.

IreneF

Caveat emptor (buyer beware). When a provider buys an expensive piece of equipment, it's got to be paid for. You (the patient) are the one who pays.

I can't see why it would have an effect on cfs/me.

helen1

@Groggy Doggy @IreneF
I did them in the hope that it would improve my immune system. HBOT stimulates stem cells production which then can improve immune function.

It's safe with no side effects unlike taking drugs or herbs so I was willing to give it a try.

Groggy Doggy

@Groggy Doggy @IreneF
I did them in the hope that it would improve my immune system. HBOT stimulates stem cells production which then can improve immune function.

It's safe with no side effects unlike taking drugs or herbs so I was willing to give it a try.
If HBOT stimulates stem cell production, then wouldn't you see the benefits over time? The reason I am asking, I had an adipose stem cell treatment about 7 months ago, and was told I would continue to see the benefits. I wonder, if in the future, we will sleeping in HBOT chambers on a nightly basis? There seems to be many benefits to HBOT, maybe we just havn't figured out the best 'formula' for each specific health issue.

helen1

From what I understand there are different types of HBOT machines. Mine definitely had temp controls.
@Riman

Hi Everyone. I have FM and have been looking desperately for a modality that could help. About 10 months ago I read about the Israeli/ Rice PLOS 1 and several other hyperbaric studies and there seemed to be real promise. I stumbled upon a local hospital that is looking to replicate the result and was successful in getting in on the study. It is an 8 week study with 40 sessions of 90 minutes 5 days a week at 2.4ATA. It commences the end of January. I will keep everyone updated.

I am researching this. Mild HBOT vs "regular" HBOT. My understanding is that one has to do the "dives" for several months to get benefits. Some folks purchase their own chambers and do daily dives. The home chambers are the "mild" lower pressure ones. Soft shell. I am seriously thinking about buying one. Yes, they are expensive. Some folks get together and rent or purchase a chamber and split the costs.

roller

wiggle jiggle
http://www.familyhealthnews.com/alt...n/oxygen-ozone/hyperbaric-oxygen-therapy.html
Despite its success in fighting gas gangrene, OHP is almost totally ineffective against tetanus, caused by germs very closely related to the clostridium in gas gangrene.Curiously, Hyperbaric oxygen can also be very effective in beat down infections caused by germs which ordinarily can multiply in the presence of oxygen.

does anyone know or have a link why this HBOT isnt effective against anaerobic bacteria or how it can beat down aerobic ones (instead of fertilizing their grounds)?

also, has this been tested with worms (aerobic, i think)?

Last edited: