• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Genetic Genie Results. Any Help Would be Appreciated

Hi Guys,

Just got my 23andme results back. Any help or recommendations would be appreciated

Homozygous:

MAO A R297R
MTRR A664A

Heterozygous:

VDR Bsm
VDR Taq
MTRR A66G
BHMT-08
CBS C699T

Thanks

My homocysteine is high (13) but my MMA is low indication that my B12 is fine but it sounds like the MTRR indicates I need B12?

My homocysteine is high (13) but my MMA is low indication that my B12 is fine but it sounds like the MTRR indicates I need B12?
No, that MTRR variation has very little impact. Your SNPs listed here look quite normal.

Other MTRR and MTHFR mutations are listed at:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/interesting-mtrr-variations.24551/
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/interesting-mthfr-variations.24543/

Typically only missense mutations will have a significant impact on function.

Thank you very much for your response. I had an HDRI panel done and waiting on those results but any speculation why homocysteine would be so high with mostly normal genes?

Thank you very much for your response. I had an HDRI panel done and waiting on those results but any speculation why homocysteine would be so high with mostly normal genes?
Avoiding meat and/or vegetables might cause low folate or B12, which I suppose might result in high homocysteine.

But there are also hundreds of other SNPs on the MTHFR gene and MTRR gene which are not tested by 23andMe - it's possible there is some dysfunction elsewhere on those genes.