• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

laundry issues

jenbooks

Search craigslist for "eco egg" (put "eco egg craigslist") into the search box, you'll see them come up frequently, email the person and say you will pay for shipping. It is very small, can be snuck in, attaches easily to the sink, and does a 15 or 35 minute cycle, whichever you choose. You can only do a small amount of clothing but if you're home do multiple loads, its easy. Then search "spin dryer" and get a countertop spin dryer from Laundry Alternatives. It will spin most of the water out, and then you can hang your clothes on a drying rack and they will dry in a few hours.

If you can't find an eco egg, buy a wonder washer from Amazon. You have to fill that with water and it only does a 15 minute cycle. Be sure either way to get the countertop spin dryer as wringing out clothes is no fun.

Together these make laundry fragrance free and pretty simple and they are not breaking rules of your lease.

K

_Kim_

Search craigslist for "eco egg" (put "eco egg craigslist") into the search box, you'll see them come up frequently, email the person and say you will pay for shipping. It is very small, can be snuck in, attaches easily to the sink, and does a 15 or 35 minute cycle, whichever you choose. You can only do a small amount of clothing but if you're home do multiple loads, its easy. Then search "spin dryer" and get a countertop spin dryer from Laundry Alternatives. It will spin most of the water out, and then you can hang your clothes on a drying rack and they will dry in a few hours.

If you can't find an eco egg, buy a wonder washer from Amazon. You have to fill that with water and it only does a 15 minute cycle. Be sure either way to get the countertop spin dryer as wringing out clothes is no fun.

Together these make laundry fragrance free and pretty simple and they are not breaking rules of your lease.

Hi jenbooks,

When I first read this thread, I remembered that you had a good laundry system, but in my searches, I couldn't find your posts on it. eco egg. That's the name I was trying to remember. Thanks for popping in with this helpful advice. I miss you and your sage advice. I hope you stop by more often.

flybro

Your not kidding too much detergent and softener.

I've been given cast ofs by freinds, and had clothes from secondhand shops.

My partner puts it thru the wash with no detergents or softener, the amount of time the washing machine is still frothing up after its 3d and 4th time.

It has taken as much as six wash cycles to get the smell out.

But the vinegar and bicarb sounds like a cheaper idea.

Give it a try tho, or better still get yr friends and family to put some clothes thru their machnes with out adding anything, iys quite shocking whne u see it.

citybug

Also can just walk on your clothes in the shower. Think I Love Lucy. I use 20 mule team borax and baking soda.

Dryer sheets are the worst. You could sniff the dryer or make sure none are left inside. Here's the beginning of an article you can print. Maybe they'll be looking for reading material one day.

http://www.naturalnews.com/002693.html

America has a love affair with artificial fragrance and products that contain it. The amount of fragrance that goes into the average household in America is absolutely astounding. It’s found in all sorts of products but one of the most common is dryer sheets. As it turns out, dryer sheets are absolutely loaded with artificial fragrance. In fact, they serve more of a function of perfume sheets than any other practical function in the dryer.

When people use dryer sheets, they are coating their cloths with a thin film of artificial chemical perfumes. Just like other perfumes, a person’s sensitivity to these perfumes decreases over time to the point where they don’t even notice how potent these artificial fragrance chemicals are.

None of this would be interesting if it weren’t for the fact that these fragrance chemical are extremely toxic chemicals. They are known carcinogens. They cause liver damage and cancer in mammals. In fact, the only way they are approved for use in consumer products is that there is an underlying, but false assumption by the FDA and other regulator agencies that cosmetic products such as shampoo, deodorants, creams, laundry detergents, and soaps don’t pose a health risk because their chemicals are not absorbed through the skin. In other words, there is a much lower threshold of danger assumed with cosmetic products versus foods and beverages. It is assumed that chemicals put on the skin don’t necessarily penetrate the skin. This assumption is incorrect, however. .....

Tammie

just want to thank everyone for the responses.....am crashing too badly to respond individually, but I do appreciate all the suggestions, and definitely got some ideas to try out