• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Alzheimer's breakthrough using ultrasound (on mice)

Marky90

Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance
http://www.futuretimeline.net/blog/2015/03/14-2.htm#.VmcE6rjhBD_

"Researchers at the Queensland Brain Institute (QBI), part of Australia's University of Queensland, have shown that non-invasive ultrasound technology can be used to treat Alzheimer's disease and restore memory in mice. This innovative, drug-free method breaks apart the neurotoxic amyloid plaques that result in memory loss and cognitive decline."

Apparantly by activating microglia..

Very exiting!

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Marky90 - that is exciting, though I wonder what other effects, perhaps unintended, ultrasound might have on the brain? But, what a great area of research!

I learned in the past couple of years about the connection between sugar and Alzheimer's - our high sugar diets are fueling the increase in Alzheimer's, it's been called diabetes of the brain ...

Marky90

Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance
@Marky90 - that is exciting, though I wonder what other effects, perhaps unintended, ultrasound might have on the brain? But, what a great area of research!

I learned in the past couple of years about the connection between sugar and Alzheimer's - our high sugar diets are fueling the increase in Alzheimer's, it's been called diabetes of the brain ...

Indeed! I don`t know, ultrasound is generally very safe. I don`t know how it is with this particuar technique.. Can`t imagine the side effects are worse than suffering from alzheimers though..

Thoughts go to Terry Pratchett, he would be extremely excited about this (and of course all alz-patients)

BurnA

http://www.futuretimeline.net/blog/2015/03/14-2.htm#.VmcE6rjhBD_

"Researchers at the Queensland Brain Institute (QBI), part of Australia's University of Queensland, have shown that non-invasive ultrasound technology can be used to treat Alzheimer's disease and restore memory in mice. This innovative, drug-free method breaks apart the neurotoxic amyloid plaques that result in memory loss and cognitive decline."

Apparantly by activating microglia..

Very exiting!

This is interesting because a lot of drugs which broke the amyloid plaque in Alzheimer's patients did not improve symptoms and failed clinical trials.

Read more here