• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Quercetin safety

I'd like to try Twinlab's Vitamin C & Quercetin for my histamine sensitivity, but I am a bit worried about trying Quercetin - it is an MAOI-B and COMT inhibitor in the Prefrontal Cortex. Could that possibly increase any anxiety I already have?

Gingergrrl

I have been taking 2000 mg of Quercetin per day (one pill of plain Quercetin and one pill of Twin Labs Quercetin & Vit C) before each of my two meals plus whatever Quercetin is in Neuro Protek which I take twice a day. It has been incredibly helpful for my MCAS and probably second only to Ketotefin for me. I know we are all different but just wanted to share that I am very sensitive to meds and have had no issues with Quercetin.

maddietod

I've been taking 2 NOW quercetin (400mg @) + bromelain 3x a day for allergies, plus 1000mg vitamin C 2x a day. Yesterday was the 3rd or 4th day of this, and today I woke up significantly unbalanced and spacey.

Would the MAOI-B and COMT inhibition cause this?

Gondwanaland

My husband (2x +/+ COMT) healed completely from rhinitis and sinusits by taking Quercetin. My only concern about this supplement is regading vitamin B1:
http://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~rwest/link-suggestion/wpcd_2008-09_augmented/wp/t/Thiamin.htm
Plant thiamin antagonists are heat stable and occur as both the ortho and para hydroxyphenols. Some examples of these antagonists are caffeic acid, chlorogenic acid and tannic acid. These compounds interact with the thiamin to oxidize the thiazole ring, thus rendering it unable to be absorbed. Two flavonoids, quercetin and rutin, have also been implicated as thiamin antagonists.

Could that possibly increase any anxiety I already have?
I suppose magnesium should help with that.

perchance dreamer

Quercetin is in a lot of supplements for allergies, but it gives me really bad insomnia, even a little bit first thing in the morning.

perchance dreamer

Hi, @Gondwanaland. Yes, I do take different forms of magnesium both at the end of the day and at bedtime. MG is also in supplements I take during the day. I just seem to have a sensitivity to quercetin as well as taurine. They both give me sleep problems.

Gondwanaland

I just seem to have a sensitivity to quercetin as well as taurine. They both give me sleep problems.
I only took quercetin 1x since it gave me major tinnitus. But it worked wonderfully for DH. Now that you have mentioned, it is possible that it caused him increased insomnia as well though.
(Re Taurine: When I took Taurine during the day I could not keep my eyes open, and at bed time I could not keep my eyes closed :bang-head:)

Oci

I only took quercetin 1x since it gave me major tinnitus. But it worked wonderfully for DH. Now that you have mentioned, it is possible that it caused him increased insomnia as well though.
(Re Taurine: When I took Taurine during the day I could not keep my eyes open, and at bed time I could not keep my eyes closed :bang-head:)
Quercetin is a methyl donor. Since your husband is COMT++, do you watch the methyl donors? Just wondering as I am COMT++ too and found that too many methyl supps keep me revved.

Gondwanaland

Quercetin is a methyl donor. Since your husband is COMT++, do you watch the methyl donors? Just wondering as I am COMT++ too and found that too many methyl supps keep me revved.
Quercetin fixed his rhinitis, I think because it inhibits liver phase 1, so the benefit was worth his insomnia since he doesn't need it anymore. But now that you have mentioned, I will start giving niacinamide to him more often, since he reacts so poorly to melatonin ;)

Oci

Quercetin fixed his rhinitis, I think because it inhibits liver phase 1, so the benefit was worth his insomnia since he doesn't need it anymore. But now that you have mentioned, I will start giving niacinamide to him more often, since he reacts so poorly to melatonin ;)

I'm chuckling as I react poorly to melatonin too as did my husband and as does my sister. Perhaps its because its a methyl donor? I'm quite sure we are all COMT++ as are a number of others in the family.

We could never figure out why melatonin adversely affected us. I do now tolerate a 3 mg slow release melatonin. It seems to help with sleep maintenance.

How much niacinamide would you give him? I sometimes take <50 mg niacin but hate the flush and so don't do often. It does settle that anxious feeling.

Gondwanaland

I'm chuckling as I react poorly to melatonin too as did my husband and as does my sister. Perhaps its because its a methyl donor?
Is it actually? I had no idea!
How much niacinamide would you give him? I sometimes take <50 mg niacin but hate the flush and so don't do often. It does settle that anxious feeling.
I have 100mg tablets that I cut in 4 and usually give him 2x 25mg at one hour interval - this is usually enough
Once I gave him niacin and he flushed and I didn't like to see him almost purple!

Oci

Is it actually? I had no idea!

I have 100mg tablets that I cut in 4 and usually give him 2x 25mg at one hour interval - this is usually enough
Once I gave him niacin and he flushed and I didn't like to see him almost purple!
Here is one source...not sure of its accuracy...

http://resqua.com/702188759/what-is-the-significance-of-a-vdr-taq-gene
METHYL DONORS: (Avoid if comt++ and encourage if comt—or COMT +/- unless VDR status is -/- )

• SAMe
• FgF (not used as much in the United States)
• Curcumin (small amount in HHC multi okay)
• MSM
• DMG
• TMG (small amount in HHC multi is okay)
• Methyl B12
• Folapro (1/4 tablet)
• Intrinsic B12 (1/4 tablet)
• Phosphatidylserine can act as one
• Melatonin
• Caffeine products
• CoQ10
• Quercetin
• Carnitine
• Idebenone (this is an active version of Co Q 10 & is in many products)
• DMAE
• Zen
• Theanine
• Methylmate B (dose 3 drops)
Foods: Eggs, spinach, & kale have natural 5 MTHF Caffeine also acts as a methyl donor: Tea, Coffee, Chocolate

And another...
https://www.facebook.com/mthfralliance1/posts/530147490434986

Gingergrrl

That's interesting and I am COMT +/+ and actually do not tolerate the majority of things on your list but I take a big amount of Quercetin daily with no issues. I also tolerated Melatonin and Coq10 with no problems in the past although have not taken them in at least six months.

Oci

That's interesting and I am COMT +/+ and actually do not tolerate the majority of things on your list but I take a big amount of Quercetin daily with no issues. I also tolerated Melatonin and Coq10 with no problems in the past although have not taken them in at least six months.

I think that it all depends on the person and the total amount of methyl donors being taken. I read on one group about a woman who saved all her methyl donor "allowance" for coffee! Guess it is all about priorities. I like coffee too but need to keep consumption low.

When I took melatonin before I would have very anxious dreams. Now I am tolerating the slow release melatonin perhaps because I cut out some other methyl donors ie l-theanine, CoQ10 reduced, caffeine reduced, no spinach of late, etc.

xrayspex

I have been taking 2000 mg of Quercetin per day (one pill of plain Quercetin and one pill of Twin Labs Quercetin & Vit C) before each of my two meals plus whatever Quercetin is in Neuro Protek which I take twice a day. It has been incredibly helpful for my MCAS and probably second only to Ketotefin for me. I know we are all different but just wanted to share that I am very sensitive to meds and have had no issues with Quercetin.
I take hardly any meds or supplements but started trying quercetin again because recalled I had always felt it didnt have much side effects for me and helped with some symptoms....and I am suspecting it is helping calm my system, bit of modulator in a way, knock on wood...surprised and cautiously encouraged...its subtle

xrayspex

also I am really prone to anxiety and can't use caffeine and I havent noticed it causing that...and if anything maybe more relaxed and sleeping better

xrayspex

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1391952/

today I am feeling more sure that the quercetin has been helping mitigate immune flare from wonky root canal---something about it, like my body really taking to it---I used to take it regularly for few years 10 years ago upto 2010 maybe and I think I got away from using it, maybe a bad brand but I also thought it might be lowering my b/p which already tends to run low...but so far that it isnt problem
But its one of the few supplements I ever took regularly and thought I could tell some good effects from ...tried many the last 25 years too

anyway....too soon to know if correlated this time, but that study looks really good