• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Medicare, labs and naturopaths

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Medicare does not acknowledge Naturopaths so I pay out of pocket to see mine. Medicare does pay for any RX's she writes.

I am finally (I think) ready to switch over to straight Medicare but this is my question. If my NP orders labs, will they pay? or do they only look at the diagnostic code? My PCP will order some stuff but I'm tired of explaining to him and fighting. I just want someone to order stuff.

Does anyone know for sure? I'm not calling Medicare. I have not had the opportunity to call the local advocacy agency yet.

Thanks. Please tag me.

@Sushi do you know?

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
@minkeygirl
I'm not sure if this would work for you, but my Medicare HMO doc ordered labs for me that my integrative medicine doctor wrote, such as things to rule out Lyme, and serum-based testing for food allergies. Cost me nothing at the time.

Now that the plan has changed I have a 20% copay for any and all lab work.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@minkeygirl - I think you're right, that Medicare probably wouldn't pay for labs your NP orders - but - I'm surprised it does pay for prescriptions she writes. Maybe there is some loophole she works with. I would ask your NP if her labs are ever covered by Medicare, she should know.

FWIW, and I know this isn't your situation, Medicare will pay for labs ordered by non-participating Medicare doctors (like Dr. Kaufman at OMI).