• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does low sex hormones raise Cortisol?

Would anyone know if low testosterone can be the cause of high Cortisol?
I always thought it was the other way around (and it could be as well) but I'm specifically interested in whether low T can be the cause of high Cortisol? I've read in a book on Adrenal fatigue that this can be the case but I'm not sure if that's correct or not.

adreno

PR activist
Can't tell you the cause, but they usually have an inverse relationship. When one is high, the other is low.

I have almost no sex hormones and very low cortisol. Even when it's peaking it's still below what it should be.

That still indicates there could be a link. If your sex hormones dropped and cortisol raised in response it would stay up until your adrenals were too fatigued to pump out more cortisol and thus would explain your low cortisol condition. I thought there may be a scientific link here?

Can't tell you the cause, but they usually have an inverse relationship. When one is high, the other is low.

Hmm, agreed on that. But which is the cause and which is the effect? Low T high C as a result or the other way around, or both?

WoolPippi

Would anyone know if low testosterone can be the cause of high Cortisol?
I always thought it was the other way around (and it could be as well) but I'm specifically interested in whether low T can be the cause of high Cortisol? I've read in a book on Adrenal fatigue that this can be the case but I'm not sure if that's correct or not.
Imo they're not in a one-on-one cause-relationship but high T (produced in the adrenals) will rob the adrenals of the stuff they need to build Cortisol. And vice versa: high Cortisol doesn't leave much building blocks to make Testosteron with, hence low T.

I'd suspect problems higher up in the Hormonal Arcade, where predecessors for both should be made. Cholesterol, Pregnenolone, Progesteron.