• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Should I go to the Doctor

I live in the UK and have had bad experiences with Doctors before, with them not taking me seriously about being in constant pain and stuff. When I was at school the nurses said if I was in too much pain my mum could come and get me from school they also promised this to my mother, but when I was in to much pain the nurses just said to go back to class and carry on, because of both the nurses not helping and me being in too much pain my mum took me out of school so now I don't really get an education anymore. So I have not actually been diagnosed however I do have all the symptoms of both fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. I am in so much pain that I basically never leave the house anymore, another reason not to see the doctor.

I don't know what to do. Please help

SOC

Give advice please
About what? It would help if you asked some specific questions we could answer. We can't give advice if we don't know what you need.

I reread your post just to double-check. There's not a single question mark in there. :) We can't answer questions that aren't there. We can't give medical advice; it's against forum rules.

You can try reading in the forums. There's a LOT of valuable information that should help. Click on the Forums tab and look for some subforums that seem to relate to your situation and start reading. Hopefully that will give you some ideas. Then you can ask specific questions in the relevant subforums and perhaps someone can share with you what helped them.

You can try reading in the forums. There's a LOT of valuable information that should help. Click on the Forums tab and look for some subforums that seem to relate to your situation and start reading. Hopefully that will give you some ideas. Then you can ask specific questions in the relevant subforums and perhaps someone can share with you what helped them.

Ok thanks I'll come back when I have a more specific question

Countrygirl

@drowsyunicorn May I suggest you contact Jane Colby of Tymes Trust? She was a headmistress who developed ME and had to give up her job. She started Tymes Trust which provides advice and information to school pupils about the illness and will, in particular, help you navigate the particular problems you may experience with the educational authorities.

http://www.tymestrust.org/contactus.htm

Kati

Patient in training
Hi @drowsyunicorn, it sounds like you're young and that things are tough for you right now.

i am so sorry that you have all of the symptoms of fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome.
Thing is, it would be best that you get formally diagnosed, so the doctors have roed out other diseases that can mimic ME and FM. Usually it involves a history, and a physical. Maybe some bloodwork. Actually hopefully.

I hope that your mum is supportive and understanding. Talking to her about your fears could be a great thing to do, and if not your mum, maybe a school counsellor?

Can you share where in the world you are and what age group?

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
I agree with Kati. If you do not have a diagnosis and are missing school you absolutely need to see a doctor for a diagnosis. You may have one of many specific treatable conditions that have similar symptoms. And if you not getting eduction without a diagnosis all sorts of problems may stack up for you and your family. Chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia are not really diseases as such. They are terms used when people have certain patterns of symptoms and nobody really understands why. They should only be applied when someone with considerable medical experience has concluded that no other reason for the symptoms can be found.

digital dog

Perhaps write down all your symptoms to take to the doctors. Im so sorry you are suffering. It does sound like fibro and CFS but it could be all manner of conditions.

I really hope you feel a little improved and get the help you need. Sometimes it takes a while to get a doctor on your side but you may be lucky.

Read all you can here and come back if you need some more information or support.

Apple

There are other things that can cause fatigue and pain, ranging from simple and treatable vitamin deficiencies to more serious problems. You really do need to visit a Dr and get some blood tests etc to find out more. There are nice doctors out there, you've just gotta find them. If you can get a diagnosis (whether it's ME/CFS/Fibro or something else) then you can access various support. Please don't sit and suffer without knowing the full picture.

If you want to focus on your education at home (so, so, so important), there are some great online resources such as the khan academy which have short (10 mins or so) videos explaining everything in detail. I left school at 15 with no qualifications as my school wouldn't let me sit exams and I regret not trying harder to stay in education. So please think about this if you are able.

Come back and keep us updated. Good luck :heart: