• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can an eating disorder trigger CFS?

jlynx

I couldn't find much information regarding this. I don't know what could have triggered my viral reactivation; I believe my symptoms began around 2010. I was not under a lot of stress and it did not begin after I was ill. The only theory I have is that I had an eating disorder for a period in 2010, orthorexia to be specific. I ate 100% raw vegan for about three months but I did not do it correctly and lost a lot of weight (when I didn't need to.) I wasn't getting enough calories, as is hard on such a diet. I am a very healthy weight now and am on an omnivore diet.

Is it possible that this put a lot of stress on my body and triggered my illness? Or can it just 'happen', with no direct cause?

Last edited:

Seven7

Seven
how are you b12 levels? Sorry not much answer from your question but was the first thing that jump to my head was that question.

jlynx

how are you b12 levels? Sorry not much answer from your question but was the first thing that jump to my head was that question.

My B12 was a little low- 680, with a reference range of 211-946. I have since been supplementing with sublingual B12 tablets. I'm waiting on lab results as I was just retested. I should add that I do now eat a standard omnivore diet which helps as well, although I don't eat a lot of meat. Before supplementing I was craving red meat a lot and now I don't, so I assume it has gone up.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
My B12 was a little low- 680, with a reference range of 211-946. I have since been supplementing with sublingual B12 tablets. I'm waiting on lab results as I was just retested. I should add that I do now eat a standard omnivore diet which helps as well, although I don't eat a lot of meat. Before supplementing I was craving red meat a lot and now I don't, so I assume it has gone up.
Your B12 level was normal if it was 680. You would be unlikely to become deficient due to a diet that only lasted 3 months, as we can maintain healthy B12 levels for a year or more:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/vitamin-b12-15239?page=1

skipskip30

Try not to blame yourself over anything youve done in the past, the illness can just come out of nowhere through no fault of our own. Its not always just after a bad viral infection.

jlynx

Your B12 level was normal if it was 680. You would be unlikely to become deficient due to a diet that only lasted 3 months, as we can maintain healthy B12 levels for a year or more:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/vitamin-b12-15239?page=1

I was vegetarian for three years and then vegan for two years, and wasn't continuously supplementing B12 during that period, so it may have been lower before that.

My doc said he wanted me to still supplement at that level and would like it a little higher.

jlynx

@jlynx I've just seen how my adrenals were stressed by alternate day fasting. Dr. Alan Christianson has just published a book, Adrenal Reset Diet. It's intended for weight loss, focusing on how body retains weight under adrenal stress, in survival mode. Along w/ B12 deficiency, I could see how diet stress could trigger other things.
http://adrenalresetdiet.com/

That's interesting. I was definitely starving, I didn't feel hunger but started having mood swings and crying for no reason, and a lot of fatigue. I didn't realize how underweight I became but obviously should have not kept going as long as I did or been so strict. That's what happens when you're an all-or-nothing type of person. Fortunately my adrenals were tested and were ok.

Last edited:

Esther12

Given the way CFS is diagnosed, with it likely including people suffering from a wide range of different problems, it's likely that almost any strain could play a role in triggering CFS.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
That's interesting. I was definitely starving, I didn't feel hunger but started having mood swings and crying for no reason, and a lot of fatigue. I didn't realize how underweight I became but obviously should have not kept going as long as I did or been so strict. That's what happens when you're an all-or-nothing type of person. Fortunately my adrenals were tested and were ok.
I wonder if you had an imbalance of carbs, fats and proteins in your diet, notably too much carb and too little fat? Healthy fats are very important.