• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hiv could be cured by reawakening the virus

Daffodil

i think they have many drugs that can wake up HIV but none have resulted in a cure yet. not to be a downer, but i think there is a long way to go yet.

sillysocks84

i think they have many drugs that can wake up HIV but none have resulted in a cure yet. not to be a downer, but i think there is a long way to go yet.
Other drugs that bring hiv out of latency are toxic. This one looks more promising and would give the medicine a better chance to kill it all as it couldn't hide away like it does.

helen1

It's the same problem we have with trying to get rid of chronic c.pneumonia. One of it's stages is latent and intracellular where abx have little to no effect. Wouldn't it be great if this drug strategy were used for c.pneu and other pathogens, ones that are common with us...

At least they know what needs to be "awakened"... unlike with ME. There needs to be effort put into cohorts with us. If each is different, maybe they aren't caused by the same pathogen (in my unscientific reasoning), or the pathogen is at a different, less deadly stage. But the severe ME cohort is getting reduced by patient die-off, while there seems to be little comprehension that it's the extreme end of the spectrum that needs the first attention. These are the patients that should be helped asap. They Are Dying. Must Find Out "why / how", first for them. Then, apply that knowledge as possible to the cohorts that aren't 'at risk of dying' as much.
The point is, bio-markers for cohorts is needed for ME.

sillysocks84

@5150 I was envisioning that as well for me disease. I wish scientists would hurry up and apply some of this promising science for me. I think they will more now, especially with Whitney Dafoe becoming ill. His father is a very knowledgeable scientist.

Daffodil

i have read about a slew of drugs that can be taken to awaken the virus but there are other problems with the technique. ugh i used to read about this all the time but my brain is mush. i can barely remember the year right now

sillysocks84

i have read about a slew of drugs that can be taken to awaken the virus but there are other problems with the technique. ugh i used to read about this all the time but my brain is mush. i can barely remember the year right now
I'm sorry you are so unwell! I believe what you're saying, I just always try to apply what I read to our situation because sometimes science works in mysterious ways. Take care!

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Going off avs can awaken viruses. I was trying this strategy until my last attempt i got shingles which set me back.

probably need to awaken the viruses while on avs could work ? ? But how? ?

Jon_Tradicionali

Alone & Wandering
This is what Cullen has been saying for some time in the case of latent viruses. He has especially focused on HSV to test this theory.
Below is an extract simplifying this:

Cullen and his team are testing a new drug designed to very precisely bind to the microRNAs that keep the virus dormant. If it works, the virus would become activated and start replicating. Once the virus is active, a patient would then be treated with antiviral therapy to effectively kill the virus.“In principle, you could activate and then kill all of the virus in a patient,” Cullen said. “This would completely cure a person, and you would never get another cold sore.”

http://www.thehelpernewsletter.org/...ut-of-hiding&catid=177:oral-herpes&Itemid=239

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
This is what Cullen has been saying for some time in the case of latent viruses. He has especially focused on HSV to test this theory.
Below is an extract simplifying this:

Cullen and his team are testing a new drug designed to very precisely bind to the microRNAs that keep the virus dormant. If it works, the virus would become activated and start replicating. Once the virus is active, a patient would then be treated with antiviral therapy to effectively kill the virus.“In principle, you could activate and then kill all of the virus in a patient,” Cullen said. “This would completely cure a person, and you would never get another cold sore.”

http://www.thehelpernewsletter.org/...ut-of-hiding&catid=177:oral-herpes&Itemid=239

One problem is antivirals dont kill viruses but stop them replicating . We are still reliant on our immune system to kill the viruses. So im not sure how us with low nk function would go.

Maybe also treatment with interferon which can increase nk function or ampligen in combo with antivirals along with activating latent viruses?

Jon_Tradicionali

Alone & Wandering
One problem is antivirals dont kill viruses but stop them replicating . We are still reliant on our immune system to kill the viruses. So im not sure how us with low nk function would go.

Maybe also treatment with interferon which can increase nk function or ampligen in combo with antivirals along with activating latent viruses?

That's correct.

In theory, you only need a drug to activate a virus in infected cells, long enough for the bodies own immune system to eliminate it. An antiviral, specific to the target virus, is usually administered as it completely cripples the virus and decreases elimination time significantly.

This is outlined in the HBV drug combination found to completely eliminate it discovered not long ago.
http://www.wehi.edu.au/news/potential-cure-hepatitis-b-enters-phase-12a-clinical-trial

Birinipant is the drug which achieves this in the case of the above.

I am sure the same could be achieved in the case of the virus causing CFS/ME (if it is a virus).
However, we cannot progress at all if we do not yet know the target.