• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can I get more than 40% capacity if compound heterozygous?

so if I'm compound heterozygous, and that means that my cells only function at 40% capacity, can I ever get more energy than that or is that my upper limit? How does epigenetics play into this? This may be a dumb question but I don't understand and I'm not sure where to look for info. Thanks.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
so if I'm compound heterozygous, and that means that my cells only function at 40% capacity, can I ever get more energy than that or is that my upper limit?
I think you will have to give more information for anyone to respond--what is compound heterozygous? How about making a post in Introduce Yourself to tell us a bit more about your health situation.

Thanks,
Sushi

helen1

@matthewspuzzle
I'm guessing you're referring to MTHFR snps? If so, just so you know there are lots of other SNPs you could have hetero variations of so you should specify which you're referring to so people can respond in a helpful way.

You can be perfectly healthy even with MTHFR variations such as C677T and A1298C because there are other enzymes that deal with folate as well. Depends on if those ones are working well or not (in other words, whether your Plan B and even Plan C for folate use are functioning or not). Your health also depends on what environmental factors might worsen these enzyme functions. Mercury and lead impair MTHFR from what I've read.

If your MTHFR really is impaired, it's usually remedied by taking folate supplements or by eating lots of folate rich foods. Note you would need to take folate, not folic acid.

What are your symptoms?

Last edited: