• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME after alcohol, antibiotics and kefir! What's in common?

Hi, guys!
I have ME for 5 years, but till June 2015 I had ME symptoms periodically. Now due to my problems with duodenum I have it all the time. I just wanna share some thoughts with you. Well, before I could develop ME symptoms after consuming certain stuff: antibiotics (doxycycline, amoxicillin), kefir, alcohol (even after nonalcoholic beer). I'm just wondering: what's in common? I ate a lot of bad food, drank soda, but never had ME symptoms after that. And after these 3 things - all the time! What kind of bacteria can multiply after consuming these products? Any ideas? Thanks)

caledonia

Hi, guys!
I have ME for 5 years, but till June 2015 I had ME symptoms periodically. Now due to my problems with duodenum I have it all the time. I just wanna share some thoughts with you. Well, before I could develop ME symptoms after consuming certain stuff: antibiotics (doxycycline, amoxicillin), kefir, alcohol (even after nonalcoholic beer). I'm just wondering: what's in common? I ate a lot of bad food, drank soda, but never had ME symptoms after that. And after these 3 things - all the time! What kind of bacteria can multiply after consuming these products? Any ideas? Thanks)

The antibiotics would kill off all stomach bacteria including the good ones, and let the bad ones, like candida, proliferate.

Alcohol dampens methylation. The alcohol may also feed the bad bacteria.

Interestingly, kefir has a tiny bit of alcohol in it. So if the nonalcoholic beer, which also has a tiny bit of alcohol in it, is enough to bother you, it seems like that might be the case with kefir too.

You would need to do some stool testing to see exactly what bacteria you have, but candida would be a prime suspect.

Last edited:

LisaGoddard

I'm interested in this thread as my friend has suggested I try kefir. I too feel ill after nonalcoholic beer, and I'm wary about trying kefir. I think both kefir and nonalcoholic beer have yeast in them. Could this be the problem?

I also felt ill after kvass. It's a fermented drink made from yeast bread. So, I think yeast can be a problem. Or mb alcohol in their composition.