• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sexual Transmission of Lyme disease - Alan McDonald latest.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Research from Dr. Alan MacDonald supports the hypothesis of Lyme disease being a sexually transmitted disease. He has done an autopsy of a testicle belonging to a diseased patient with long term chronic Lyme disease suggesting that Lyme can be transmitted from male to female. See his results in the PDF below.

http://norvect.no/sexual-transmission-of-lyme-disease/

duncan

Could have been a biopsy of a diseased patient. (do men even allow testicular biopsies?)

But I think it was an autopsy on that MN Lyme victim with NB who dedicated his body to furtherment of Lyme research., no? The autopsy included the testicle.

msf

Would you?

It said autopsy in the article. I was just thinking, if the eyes and genitals are a reservoir of infection in Ebola, the same thing may be happening in Lyme - hacking them off would be a rather drastic solution, though.

sarah darwins

Would you?

It said autopsy in the article. I was just thinking, if the eyes and genitals are a reservoir of infection in Ebola, the same thing may be happening in Lyme - hacking them off would be a rather drastic solution, though.
Glad the question doesn't arise :)

Excuse my flippancy. It is obviously serious.

And on a serious note, I'm glad some people do donate their bodies for research like that. I'd be happy to do (at the appropriate time!) as long as I knew it was going for a specific purpose that was currently not well served.

duncan

Would I allow a biopsy on a testicle? No. I would allow one on my brain first. I suppose that's weird, but I bet many men would agree with me.

Biopsying would not be removing, though.

I really think it might be that poor Minnesota man who struggled so long with NeuroLyme and donated his body following his death a couple of years back. Not sure, though.

Regardless, MacDonald needs to have a fellow pathologist confirm this. It could be a landmark find. Tissue infection of a testicle by Bb does not confirm sexual transmission, but it is another large step in that direction.

Last edited:

Helen

Dr. Richard Horowitz describes sexual transmission in one patient infected with Lyme who miscarried and PCR tests of the placenta and the fetus showed Borrelia bacterias. Page 93 in "Why Can´t I Get Better" (his latest book). According to his book he has seen more cases than this one and found out how to treat Lyme patients while they are pregnant to avoid transmission of bacterias from mother to fetus.

Edit: As @Dufresne writes in the post below, this isn´t an example of sexual transmitted Lyme disease.

Last edited:

Research 1st

Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.
The Lyme documentary 'Under Your Skin' features a mom with Lyme who gives birth to a Borrelia Positive baby.

http://www.amazon.com/Under-Our-Ski...1447550285&sr=8-1&keywords=under+our+skin+DVD

In part 2 on the second DVD release 'Emergence', she reveals her little boy (the baby in the first film) has now got Lyme disease, however, gets treatment ASAP with one of the best LLD in the states, and he's OK thankfully.

Also it's revealed a Lyme sufferer from the first film, her husband caught Borrelia from her. In those two cases, Borrelia is an STD as well as congenital.

http://www.amazon.com/Under-Our-Ski...1447550313&sr=8-2&keywords=under+our+skin+DVD

Here's a question to ponder over.

What would have happened if the child with Lyme, *who has a medically educated mother) had been misdiagnosed with pediatric CFS and told to do CBT/GET to overcome his mental problems? Maybe in time they'd end up with us, as long term adult 'ME' sufferers, left in oblivion.

Dufresne

almost there...
Dr. Richard Horowitz describes sexual transmission in one patient infected with Lyme who miscarried and PCR tests of the placenta and the fetus showed Borrelia bacterias. Page 93 in "Why Can´t I Get Better" (his latest book). According to his book he has seen more cases than this one and found out how to treat Lyme patients while they are pregnant to avoid transmission of bacterias from mother to fetus.

This was vertical transmission, not sexual. I believe the patient had had a couple of miscarriages, even though she was testing negative for borrelia at the time. And yet the fetus was testing positive. Dr Horowitz put her on appropriate antibiotics and the next baby was born healthy.

I really hope it's not sexually transmittable. My ex-girlfriend is manifesting all kinds of symptoms now: anemia, hypothyroidism, elevated liver enzymes, a problem with an ovary. She also developed wheat sensitivity while we were together. I only found out I was positive a year or so into the relationship, and at the outset I had "the talk" with her; that although nobody I've been intimate with had developed problems (to my knowledge), there was a chance I was contagious. She's having a tough time. I keep hinting she should get tested but she's the type that really doesn't want to know. I'm quite worried about her. And I know I've to make her get tested. Dread.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
My daughter hass Lyme and is now pregnant but she cant get anyone to give her antibitoics to stop transmission to the baby. Its a terrible situation.

My husband also has developed some issues and we are concerned he may have caught it from me. He hasn't been tested yet because we need all the money we can get for my treatment. He has howevere started taking hight potency garlic tablets - Allicinmax and is feeling a little better for it.