• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Alkaline salts for histamine intolerance/MCAS?

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Gingergrrl check it out: sodium bicarb + potassium bicarb.

I'm going to be trying it myself. I don't have MCAS but I am sick so much, and a chiro mentioned magnesium bicarbonate the other day for alkalinizing my system. I don't eat sugar or any crap, but still -- and so that's how I came across the above website, and I do crash a lot and I know I build up lactic acid - and I've read about sodium bicarb being used to help prevent PEM, and don't ask me why I haven't tried this in earnest before! But if my system is constantly acidic, that could explain constantly being sick too, and why especially get sick when I crash (high lactic acid). I found a product on iherb for potassium bicarbonate: http://www.iherb.com/Life-Enhancement-Potassium-Basics-240-Capsules/37917 and am getting some magnesium bicarbonate from Bulk Supplements.

I took some plain sodium bicarb today, was sick of course (recovering from a crash), it may have helped, I'm going to keep it up. It will take some tweaking to find optimum doses of everything. But if this will help with crashing and getting sick - my bete noires! (all the French I know :whistle:) it will be worth the effort --

Gingergrrl

@Gingergrrl check it out: sodium bicarb + potassium bicarb.

@ahmo Sorry I totally missed this one until just now. I skimmed it and am confused who alison vickery is b/c I read another blog or link by her in the past that listed "low histamine" foods and some of them were super high histamine foods that could kill someone with MCAS. Am not saying this particular recommendation is wrong, but who is she exactly? Will try to read it more carefully tomorrow.

ahmo

@Gingergrrl I don't know. I was just intrigued by the idea of K/bicarb. In fact, I tried it yesterday, when I'd been feeling ratty all day. I used about 1/8 tsp bicarb, K+ in some water, actually seemed to help clear my head. And my body wanted another dose shortly after. Hard to tell, as it was the time in the afternoon where I tend to feel a bit better naturally.

Gingergrrl

@Gingergrrl I don't know. I was just intrigued by the idea of K/bicarb. In fact, I tried it yesterday, when I'd been feeling ratty all day. I used about 1/8 tsp bicarb, K+ in some water, actually seemed to help clear my head. And my body wanted another dose shortly after. Hard to tell, as it was the time in the afternoon where I tend to feel a bit better naturally.

@ahmo No worries and I will research this more (some day!) when I have a chance. Glad it is working well for you!

Mary

Moderator Resource

The reviews are very interesting - a couple mention it helps with lyme (one says it helps with lyme neuro symptoms, another talks about lyme detox symptoms, whatever those are), another person describes help with what sounds like MCS (reaction to chemicals and perfume), another talks about help with food allergies - rather amazing if it does all of that! They also says it's almost impossible to find in stores - it doesn't have aspirin like regular alka seltzer. Thanks @Christopher -

Dufresne

almost there...
Bicarbonates work even better if you reduce your intake of acidifying foods. It turns down the volume on inflammation and just about all my symptoms. I've very little brain fog left. Too bad it does nothing for my PEM.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Bicarbonates work even better if you reduce your intake of acidifying foods. It turns down the volume on inflammation and just about all my symptoms. I've very little brain fog left. Too bad it does nothing for my PEM.

You make a very good point that bicarbonates work better if people eat a more alkaline diet. That's really interesting that reducing acidifying foods has almost eliminated your brain fog. Brain fog is the one major symptom I've never had - PEM and impaired immune function are my major issues. But the reviews people posted ran the gamut from lyme to MCS to allergies - it was pretty amazing.

I'm currently experimenting with rather low doses of thiamine in the hopes of reducing PEM, as thiamine deficiency is linked to lactic acidosis. I'm not saying we have lactic acidosis. However, lactic acid over-production linked to anaerobic glycolysis is somehow implicated, I think, in PEM, for me at least. I tried 100 mg. of thiamine and within a day my energy was boosted, I had to cut back to 50 mg. as it revved me up too much and then I crashed ... but then I recovered more quickly than usual, and so am playing with the dose. Anyways, I hope to post soon in more detail about my thiamine experiment and also I have several links to articles re thiamine - it's involved in so many processes, many of which are impaired in CFS/ME.

Violeta

The reviews are very interesting - a couple mention it helps with lyme (one says it helps with lyme neuro symptoms, another talks about lyme detox symptoms, whatever those are), another person describes help with what sounds like MCS (reaction to chemicals and perfume), another talks about help with food allergies - rather amazing if it does all of that! They also says it's almost impossible to find in stores - it doesn't have aspirin like regular alka seltzer. Thanks @Christopher -
You can make it by mixing citric acid and sodium or potassium bicarb.

Violeta

Maybe try beta alanine for PEM.

Dufresne

almost there...
@Mary
I've done a number of things over the years that have slowly chipped away at my brain fog. Number one was gut modification/candida remediation. A low carb diet and lots of garlic over a couple years did wonders. I saw improvements within a month but I believe it took time to really establish this change in my gut. The remainder of my fog seems to be due to a babesia infection. When the pathogen is stunned I've absolutely no fog and I feel great. Unfortunately the bastard fights back. I've recently figured a new way of going after the infection that I'm really encouraged by. The macrobiotic diet is what I do in the meantime as a sort of band aid. Babesia creates an acid terrain, presumably to help it survive, and any over-consumption of acid-forming foods really cranks up the inflammation factor. That's what it all comes down to: oxidation of the terrain. And when this happens bugs have a much easier time evading the immune system in the cells. So by raising my pH I make things less comfortable for my critters and more comfortable for me. Such is my observation and reasoning anyway.

@Violeta
Is there a rationale behind beta alanine working for PEM?

My PEM threshold has unfortunately dropped over the last two months following ritalin use. The ritalin had actually increased my threshold (I could only tolerate it since going on a more alkaline diet) for a period of time and had me reading again and doing light resistance training. Then things started to go wrong several weeks into my new regimen; and when I discontinued the ritalin my PEM threshold had dropped and I was having increased muscle burn and breathlessness. For me these symptoms are associated with biotoxin exposure. So I figure PEM is as well.

I also developed an odd sexual symptom in the wake of the ritalin. It actually set in while I was still taking the drug, but has continued over the last couple months along with the worsening of my biotoxin symptoms. When I take Reboxetin the sexual symptom goes away, and I notice an improvement in the burning and breathlessness. A coffee helps the latter two but not the former. I think I exhausted some mechanism experimenting with the ritalin, and I hesitate to rely on the Reboxetin because I fear any stimulants might just further exhaust this mechanism. I'm still trying to figure out what's going on. I know the answer to my PEM is somewhere in all this. I'm toying with the idea it might have something to do with cAMP. I've ordered some coleus forskolii to see if that might help support my theory.

@Christopher For me red meat is by far the most acidifying thing I can eat. Too much protein is acidifying, but I still eat a fair bit. Sugar and carbs tend to be acidifying too. The proponents of the macrobiotic diet will tell you this isn't so with a number of fruit and such, though this doesn't bare out with me. That may be because the sugar in, let's say, watermelon might be doing something in me (like feeding some of my bad guys) that it's not doing in a mostly healthy individual. That said, of late, I've been able to eat a little more sugar since treating my infections without any harsh repercussions. This has allowed me to put on a few pounds. And any real amount of complex carbs is still quite bad for my inflammation.

Dufresne

almost there...
@Dufresne this might help with pathogen as well.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/141098247709

Jeez, I took one look at that thing and thought this guy must be getting kinky with me. Just kidding. I believe I've read posts about a similar instrument over on Lymenet. I'm interested in all this oddball stuff and find there's something to most of them. You believe this kills pathogens? I'll tell you, though, I tend to have a problem with electrical treatments driving my EHS nuts.

Christopher

Jeez, I took one look at that thing and thought this guy must be getting kinky with me. Just kidding. I believe I've read posts about a similar instrument over on Lymenet. I'm interested in all this oddball stuff and find there's something to most of them. You believe this kills pathogens? I'll tell you, though, I tend to have a problem with electrical treatments driving my EHS nuts.
I've used this one off and on for a few months. I've never really had a bad reaction from it. The smell that comes from it smells like ozone.

Dufresne

almost there...
I've used this one off and on for a few months. I've never really had a bad reaction from it. The smell that comes from it smells like ozone.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=131235;p=0

"Brussels" over at Lymenet has endorsed a similar product, and yes I remember someone else commenting on the scent of ozone. Of all the people I've come across on forums she is the most knowledgeable and adept with energy treatments, so I'm pretty sure there's something to this one. You can by these things even cheaper; there are some sold out of China for about $30. I believe the device referred to on that thread is "The Tesla Wand." I was tempted to buy one as I'm always tickled by the stuff that's supposed to be BS but actually does something, however I know it's going to drive the EHS bonkers. Electricity is hardly a bother these days, but if I so much as use my infrared sauna bag for a half hour two days in a row, or mess around too much with the biophotons, I'm cooked for at least a couple weeks.

Christopher

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=131235;p=0

"Brussels" over at Lymenet has endorsed a similar product, and yes I remember someone else commenting on the scent of ozone. Of all the people I've come across on forums she is the most knowledgeable and adept with energy treatments, so I'm pretty sure there's something to this one. You can by these things even cheaper; there are some sold out of China for about $30. I believe the device referred to on that thread is "The Tesla Wand." I was tempted to buy one as I'm always tickled by the stuff that's supposed to be BS but actually does something, however I know it's going to drive the EHS bonkers. Electricity is hardly a bother these days, but if I so much as use my infrared sauna bag for a half hour two days in a row, or mess around too much with the biophotons, I'm cooked for at least a couple weeks.
Interesting. I have off and on ehs symptoms but this doesn't seem to bother that.